So who are the best Football club owner from around the world in 2023?
To answer this we need to examine what exactly makes a great Football club owner.
A world-class football club owner is someone who has demonstrated exceptional leadership, vision, and business acumen in their ownership of a football club. Here are some key factors that make a world-class football club owner:
- Vision: A world-class football club owner has a clear vision of what they want their club to achieve, both on and off the pitch. They have a long-term plan for the club’s success and are committed to investing the necessary resources to achieve it.
- Financial Management: A world-class football club owner understands the financial realities of running a football club and is able to manage the club’s finances in a sustainable and responsible way. They are able to make tough decisions when necessary to ensure the club’s long-term financial stability.
- Investment: A world-class football club owner is willing to invest in the club’s infrastructure, such as stadiums, training facilities, and youth academies. They understand that these investments are necessary to build a strong foundation for the club’s success.
- Recruitment and Talent Development: A world-class football club owner is able to attract and recruit top talent, both on and off the pitch. They understand the importance of talent development and are committed to investing in their club’s youth system.
- Community Engagement: A world-class football club owner understands the importance of engaging with the local community and building a strong connection between the club and its fans. They are committed to creating a positive impact on the community and using the club’s platform for social good.
- Leadership and Management: A world-class football club owner is an effective leader and manager who is able to inspire and motivate their team, both on and off the pitch. They are able to build a strong culture within the club and create a sense of unity and purpose among the players, staff, and fans.
Ultimately, a world-class football club owner is someone who is able to balance their passion for the game with a strong business acumen and a long-term vision for the club’s success. They are committed to investing in their club’s infrastructure and talent development, engaging with the local community, and creating a positive impact on the world through the power of football. Why not learn who are the best goalkeepers in the world with our free guide.
Here are some football club owners who are often regarded as some of the best:
Top 12 World Football Club Owner List
- Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan – owner of Manchester City FC. Since taking over in 2008, Sheikh Mansour has invested heavily in the club, leading to significant success both domestically and internationally.
- Roman Abramovich – Previous owner of Chelsea FC. Since taking over in 2003, Abramovich has transformed the club into one of the most successful in English football history, with numerous Premier League titles and a Champions League triumph.
- John W. Henry – owner of Liverpool FC. Henry’s ownership has seen Liverpool return to the top of English football, winning their first Premier League title in 30 years and also securing Champions League glory.
- Andrea Agnelli – owner of Juventus FC. Agnelli has overseen Juventus’ domination of Italian football in recent years, winning numerous Serie A titles and reaching two Champions League finals.
- Nasser Al-Khelaifi – owner of Paris Saint-Germain FC. Al-Khelaifi’s investment in PSG has led to significant success, with the club winning numerous domestic titles and reaching the Champions League final.
- Dmitry Rybolovlev – owner of AS Monaco FC. Since taking over in 2011, Rybolovlev has invested heavily in the club, leading to a return to the top of French football and a run to the Champions League semi-finals.
- Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Abdullah Al Ahmed Al Thani – owner of Malaga CF. Sheikh Abdullah’s ownership saw Malaga become one of the strongest teams in Spanish football, reaching the Champions League quarter-finals.
- Dietmar Hopp – owner of TSG Hoffenheim. Hopp’s investment in Hoffenheim has seen the club rise from the lower leagues to become a regular presence in the Bundesliga.
- Zhang Jindong – owner of Inter Milan. Since taking over in 2016, Zhang has overseen significant investment in the club, leading to a return to the top of Italian football and a run to the Europa League final.
- Stephen Ross – owner of Miami FC. Ross’ ownership has seen Miami FC become one of the strongest teams in the North American Soccer League, with plans to join Major League Soccer in the near future.
- Tony Bloom – owner of Brighton & Hove Albion football club. Tony has saved the club from extinction and has year on year improved the club and team. He is by far one of the most humble and professional football club owners of all time in the UK.
- Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha (Leicester City): Srivaddhanaprabha took over Leicester City in 2010 and oversaw one of the most remarkable underdog stories in football history. He invested in the team and its infrastructure, leading to an unlikely Premier League title win in 2016.
Top UK Football Owner Spotlight
We would like to focus on one Club owner in particular from the list above, namely Tony Bloom:
Tony Bloom is a British businessman, professional gambler, and the current owner and chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club, a professional football club based in Brighton, England. Bloom was born in Brighton in 1970 and grew up as a fan of the club, which was then playing in the lower divisions of English football.
Bloom’s family is well-known in Brighton for their involvement in the gambling industry, and he has made his fortune through his successful career as a professional gambler. He has also been involved in various business ventures, including real estate and online gambling.
Bloom became involved with Brighton & Hove Albion in 2008, when he became a major shareholder in the club. He was instrumental in the construction of the club’s new stadium, the American Express Community Stadium, which opened in 2011. Bloom became the chairman of the club in 2009 and oversaw the team’s rise from League One to the Premier League, which they joined in 2017.
Bloom is known for his commitment to the club and his passion for the game of football. He is widely respected in the football community and has been praised for his role in helping to build a successful and sustainable football club in Brighton.
In spain there are some outstanding football club owners also, please see the Football24 -7 shortlist below:
Top Spanish Football Club Owners
- Florentino Pérez (Real Madrid): Pérez has been the president of Real Madrid since 2009 and oversaw the club’s success during his first tenure from 2000 to 2006. Under his leadership, Real Madrid has won numerous major trophies, including La Liga titles, Copa del Rey titles, and Champions League titles.
- Josep Maria Bartomeu (Barcelona): Bartomeu was the president of Barcelona from 2014 to 2020 and was instrumental in the club’s success during his tenure. Under his leadership, Barcelona won multiple La Liga titles, Copa del Rey titles, and Champions League titles. The Football 24-7 La Liga Schedule is live to view.
- Enrique Cerezo (Atlético Madrid): Cerezo has been the president of Atlético Madrid since 2003 and has overseen the club’s resurgence in recent years. Under his leadership, Atlético Madrid has won multiple Europa League titles and La Liga titles, and reached two Champions League finals.
- Peter Lim (Valencia): Lim is a Singaporean businessman who purchased Valencia in 2014. Under his ownership, the club has experienced some ups and downs but has shown signs of improvement in recent seasons.
- Abdullah bin Nasser Al Thani (Málaga): Al Thani is a member of the Qatari royal family who purchased Málaga in 2010. Under his ownership, the club experienced some success, including a run to the quarterfinals of the Champions League in 2013. However, the club has also faced financial difficulties and was relegated to the second division in 2018. Read about what the Brentford nickname is or the Newcastle United nickname with our football resources.
We have also compiled a list of the best football club owners in France below:
Top Football Club Owners in France
- Nasser Al-Khelaifi (Paris Saint-Germain): Al-Khelaifi is a Qatari businessman who has been the president of Paris Saint-Germain since 2011. Under his ownership, PSG has become one of the dominant forces in French football, winning numerous Ligue 1 titles, Coupe de France titles, and Coupe de la Ligue titles. He has also overseen significant investment in the club, including the signing of star players like Neymar and Kylian Mbappe. The Ligue 1 french team schedule is available to view in our dedicated news area.
- Frank McCourt (Olympique de Marseille): McCourt is an American businessman who purchased Marseille in 2016. Under his ownership, the club has seen some improvements, including a run to the Europa League final in 2018. He has also invested heavily in the club’s infrastructure, including plans to build a new training center.
- Waldemar Kita (FC Nantes): Kita is a Polish businessman who has been the president of FC Nantes since 2007. Under his ownership, the club has had some success, including a Coupe de France title in 2019. He has also overseen significant investment in the club’s infrastructure, including a new training center and plans for a new stadium.
- Jean-Michel Aulas (Olympique Lyonnais): Aulas is a French businessman who has been the president of Olympique Lyonnais since 1987. Under his leadership, Lyon has become one of the most successful clubs in French football history, winning multiple Ligue 1 titles, Coupe de France titles, and reaching the Champions League semifinals on multiple occasions.
- Dmitry Rybolovlev (AS Monaco): Rybolovlev is a Russian businessman who purchased Monaco in 2011. Under his ownership, the club has experienced some success, including a Ligue 1 title in 2017. He has also overseen significant investment in the club’s infrastructure, including the construction of a new training center. Learn more about the rules of playing football with Football 24-7 today!
The team at Football 24 -7 have compiled a list of the best football club owners in Germany below:
Best German Football Club Owners
- Dietmar Hopp (TSG Hoffenheim): Hopp is a German billionaire who has been the owner of TSG Hoffenheim since 2000. Under his ownership, Hoffenheim rose from the fifth tier of German football to the Bundesliga, and have remained a competitive team in the top flight.
- Uli Hoeness (Bayern Munich): Hoeness is a former German footballer who was the president of Bayern Munich from 2009 to 2019. Under his leadership, Bayern Munich became one of the most successful clubs in European football, winning multiple Bundesliga titles, DFB-Pokal titles, and Champions League titles.
- Klaus-Michael Kühne (Hamburger SV): Kühne is a German billionaire who has been a major shareholder of Hamburger SV since 2015. He has invested significant amounts of money in the club in an effort to return them to the Bundesliga.
- Martin Kind (Hannover 96): Kind is a German businessman who has been the owner of Hannover 96 since 1997. Under his ownership, Hannover 96 has had some success, including reaching the Bundesliga on several occasions. Why not take a look at the Bundesliga Schedule with Football 24-7.
- Lars Windhorst (Hertha Berlin): Windhorst is a German businessman who has been a major shareholder of Hertha Berlin since 2019. He has invested significant amounts of money in the club in an effort to improve their performance in the Bundesliga. Why not read about what the nickname for Wrexham FC is or catch up with the latest SPL results.
And finally we have put together a list of the Best Italian football club owners below:
The Best Football Club Owners in Italy
- Andrea Agnelli (Juventus): Agnelli is an Italian businessman who has been the chairman of Juventus since 2010. Under his leadership, Juventus has become one of the most successful clubs in Italian football history, winning multiple Serie A titles, Coppa Italia titles, and reaching the Champions League final on several occasions.
- Silvio Berlusconi (AC Milan): Berlusconi is an Italian businessman and politician who was the owner of AC Milan from 1986 to 2017. Under his ownership, AC Milan won numerous Serie A titles, Coppa Italia titles, and Champions League titles.
- Steven Zhang (Inter Milan): Zhang is a Chinese businessman who has been the president of Inter Milan since 2018. Under his leadership, Inter Milan has returned to the top of Italian football, winning the Serie A title in 2021 for the first time in over a decade.
- James Pallotta (AS Roma): Pallotta is an American businessman who was the owner of AS Roma from 2011 to 2020. Under his ownership, AS Roma had some success, including reaching the Champions League semifinals in 2018.
- Massimo Ferrero (Sampdoria): Ferrero is an Italian businessman who has been the president of Sampdoria since 2014. Under his ownership, Sampdoria has had some success, including a Coppa Italia runner-up finish in 2019. The latest Serie A game schedule can be viewed with Football24-7.
Top Italian Football Club Owner Spotlight
James Pallotta is an American businessman and investor who was the former president and co-owner of AS Roma, a professional football club based in Rome, Italy.
Born in 1958, Pallotta grew up in Massachusetts and earned a degree in finance from Tufts University. After working for several years in the investment banking industry, he founded the investment firm Raptor Group Holdings in 2009, which focuses on investing in technology, media, and entertainment companies.
Pallotta became involved with AS Roma in 2012, when he and a group of American investors purchased the club. As president of the club, he oversaw several key initiatives, including the construction of a new training facility and the revitalization of the club’s marketing and branding efforts. Under his leadership, AS Roma also experienced some success on the field, including reaching the Champions League semifinals in 2018. Have you ever wondered who the richest football club owners in the Premier League are? find out today with our free football fact sheets.
In August 2020, Pallotta stepped down as president of AS Roma, as his ownership group sold the majority stake of the club to The Friedkin Group. Despite leaving the club, Pallotta remains involved in football, including through his ownership stake in the Major League Soccer (MLS) team, the Boston Celtics.