Wolves Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:52:28 +0000: How Wolves became early favourites to win the Championship - Wolverhampton Wanderers | The Guardian
Wolves finished 15th in the Championship last season but, after changing their manager and signing 12 players, they look like genuine title contenders
The Championship is notoriously competitive and this season is proving to be no exception. After eight rounds of fixtures, the top six clubs are separated by just two points and none of the three pre-seasons favourites – Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Fulham – are in those play-off places. Villa and Fulham aren’t even in the top half – although they are just seven points behind Leeds, Wolves and Cardiff, who sit at the top of the table with 17 points.
The season isn’t yet two months old but momentum has already swung one way and then another. Cardiff City won their first five games of the season; Ipswich will go top if they win their game in hand on the leaders; and Leeds currently sit in first place. But Wolves are the one side who look like genuine title contenders, which is somewhat remarkable given their summer of upheaval.Continue reading...
- Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:32:02 +0000: Carabao Cup roundup: Hughes demands better after Stoke lose to Bristol City - Wolverhampton Wanderers | The Guardian
• Bournemouth beat visiting Brighton once again
• 10-man Aston Villa lose 2-0 at home to Middlesbrough
Several Premier League sides went out of the Carabao Cup but Stoke City were one of only two to lose to lower league opposition, in the shape of Bristol City.
Stoke were undone at Ashton Gate by two goals in 10 second-half minutes from Famara Diédhiou and Matt Taylor, following Burnley – beaten in a penalty shootout by Leeds – in bowing out in the third round to a Championship side. Mark Hughes had no complaints though. “We were poor and they played very well,” he said. “They will have a good season playing like that, but we have to be much better. I am very disappointed because this is a competition we wanted to do well in. Maybe I got the changes wrong, but I was expecting a lot more from my players. I know we will be better against Chelsea on Saturday, but that isn’t much consolation at the moment.”Continue reading...
- Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:03:09 +0000: Football League: Cardiff grab late draw but can't stop Wolves going second - Wolverhampton Wanderers | The Guardian
• Bristol City beat Derby 4-1, Birmingham lose again and sack Redknapp
• Shrewsbury continue flying start, Exeter still top of League Two
• Cardiff missed an opportunity to go to top of the Championship after a 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday. Gary Hooper headed the visitors in front and Neil Warnock’s side left it very late to find a way through the Owl’s obdurate defence. It was the 95th minute when Sol Bamba poked home after Lee Westwood spilt Lee Tomlin’s free-kick into the path of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing. Diogo Jota’s brace at the City Ground saw Wolves earn a 2-1 win at Nottingham Forest and leapfrog the Bluebirds into second. The Portuguese Under 21 scored either side of a Mustapha Carayol 30-yard stunner.Continue reading...
- Tue, 12 Sep 2017 22:19:34 +0000: Championship roundup: Leeds United go top with win over Birmingham - Wolverhampton Wanderers | The Guardian
• Thomas Christiansen steers side to 2-0 win at Elland Road
• Cardiff lose unbeaten record with 3-0 reverse at Preston
Leeds United moved to the top of the Championship table with a 2-0 win against Birmingham City, who slipped into the relegation zone.
A goal in each half, from Samu Sáiz and Stuart Dallas, put Thomas Christiansen’s side on the summit, the manager saying that he was proud of their achievement after a performance that was “not the best”.Continue reading...
- Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:00:06 +0000: Star Wars' Mark Hamill – not the Wolves fan you were looking for - Wolverhampton Wanderers | The Guardian
The Luke Skywalker actor was outed as a fan of the Championship team after ‘liking’ a post he thought supported the wild animal. But now he’s a fully signed-up member of Nuno Espírito Santo’s barmy army
Name: Mark Hamill.
Age: 65.Continue reading...
Wolves News Archives
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:19:40 +0000: Telford appoint ex-Wolves coach Edwards - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wolverhampton Wanderers | BBC
AFC Telford United appoint former Wolves assistant manager Rob Edwards as boss to replace the sacked Rob Smith.
- Tue, 27 Jun 2017 12:02:07 +0000: Wolves loan keeper Flatt to Cheltenham - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wolverhampton Wanderers | BBC
League Two club Cheltenham Town sign Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Jon Flatt on a season-long loan deal.
- Tue, 27 Jun 2017 08:10:30 +0000: Wolves 'have to keep' Costa - Shi - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wolverhampton Wanderers | BBC
Wolves chairman Jeff Shi says the Championship club do not want to allow star winger Helder Costa to leave.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:19:23 +0000: Millwall sign Wallace and Saville - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wolverhampton Wanderers | BBC
Millwall sign midfielders Jed Wallace and George Saville from Championship rivals Wolves, both for an undisclosed fee.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wolverhampton Wanderers | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.