Wigan Athletic Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Wed, 17 Jan 2018 21:55:21 +0000: Wigan sense repeat of history after crushing win over Bournemouth - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Paul Cook admitted everything fell Wigan Athletic’s way as they defeated Bournemouth in a third-round replay again to evoke memories of their 2013 FA Cup triumph.
The League One leaders recorded a 3-0 victory over the Cherries at the DW Stadium after Samy Morsy’s early strike was added to by goals in quick succession from substitute Dan Burn and defender Callum Elder.Continue reading...
- Mon, 08 Jan 2018 17:14:35 +0000: The Dozen: the weekend's best FA Cup photos - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Your weekend roundup of the best photography from Saturday and Sunday’s FA Cup third round matchesContinue reading...
- Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:01:58 +0000: Steve Cook turns poacher to rescue late draw for Bournemouth against Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Steve Cook headed an injury-time equaliser as Bournemouth battled back from two goals down to scrape an FA Cup third-round replay with League One leaders Wigan Athletic. The Premier League side looked to be heading out to lower-league opposition for the second successive season before Cook made it 2-2 at the death.
Lys Mousset’s first Bournemouth goal had given Eddie Howe’s men hope after Paul Cook’s in-form side built a two-goal first-half lead thanks to Will Grigg and an own goal from Emerson Hyndman.Continue reading...
- Fri, 05 Jan 2018 19:10:32 +0000: From Grecian the Lion to the trophy’s bodyguard: stories behind the FA Cup third round - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Meet the man inside Exeter’s mascot suit, the brothers returning to play a the stadium where they used to watch their dad play and others who will play a part in one of English football’s special occasions
In 2013 Bournemouth were in League One and we were the Premier League side but we were very fortunate to earn a replay in the third round, even though we were playing at home. Bournemouth must have fancied their chances in the second game because Roberto Martínez always rotated his squad for Cup matches and, when I saw our teamsheet on a freezing night on the south coast, I thought all the ingredients were in place for an upset. But a great goal from Mauro Boselli earned us a trip to non-league Macclesfield in the next round. I thought that gave us a good opportunity of reaching the fifth round, but that was as far ahead as I was looking. Boselli cost £6m from Estudiantes and never scored another for us but, without his goal at Bournemouth, who knows?Continue reading...
- Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:00:00 +0000: Wimbledon in party mode but Wigan's visit ruins the mood | Jeremy Alexander - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
League One leaders win 4-0 to puncture euphoria at AFC Wimbledon after club was cleared to return to their spiritual home of Plough Lane
Emotions ran high at Kingsmeadow on Saturday, when Wimbledon got their celebrations in first and Wigan Athletic went home with a 4-0 win, emphasising their right to top League One and sending them from 20th to 23rd.
Wimbledon’s celebrations were nothing to do with the match but rather the news that, barring a judicial review, for which there is a six-week window, the club have cleared the last hurdle on their way back to Plough Lane, their spiritual home for 100 years. The plan is for a £25m, 11,000-seat ground 250 yards down the road, on the site of the greyhound stadium that closed this year. They have greyhounds in their squad and hope to unleash them there in 2019.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.