Wigan Athletic Latest News
- Tue, 05 Jan 2021 13:57:17 +0000: Wigan Athletic takeover off amid claims bidder reduced offer by almost 50% - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Administrators had been negotiating takeover since September
- Club say accepting offer would have led to 15-point deduction
Wigan Athletic’s prospective takeover is off, with the League One club claiming that the Spanish bidders reduced their offer by almost 50%.
An offer fronted by the Leganes owner, Felipe Moreno, was accepted by the club’s administrators in September but the process had dragged on until Tuesday morning, when an official club statement revealed the news.Continue reading...
- Wed, 30 Sep 2020 18:01:28 +0000: Spanish investor agrees to buy Wigan Athletic out of administration - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- ‘A substantial deposit’ already paid for League One club
- Latics set to avoid 15-point penalty this season
A Spanish investor has agreed to buy Wigan Athletic out of administration and paid “a substantial deposit”, the League One club’s administrators have announced.
Gerald Krasner and Paul Stanley of the accountancy firm Begbies Traynor said the bidder had experience in football, but otherwise released no details , saying they had agreed to keep the investor’s identity confidential until the hoped-for purchase is complete.Continue reading...
- Wed, 16 Sep 2020 18:26:22 +0000: Wigan in danger of being wound up like Macclesfield, administrators warn - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Administrators outline difficulty of finding buyer amid Covid
- Offers over £2m wanted for team, stadium and training ground
The administrators trying to find a buyer for Wigan Athletic fear the club could become the next Macclesfield, because of the difficulty of finding willing investors during the pandemic.
Covid-19 was cited by Wigan’s Hong Kong owners as the reason for pulling the plug in the first place, plunging the club into administration and triggering a 12-point deduction that saw them relegated into League One, and Paul Stanley of the corporate recovery specialists Begbies Traynor admits that selling an empty stadium is a much harder task than dealing with a football sale in normal circumstances.Continue reading...
- Thu, 10 Sep 2020 07:00:36 +0000: League One 2020-21 season preview - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Peterborough and Sunderland hope to put last season behind them, Oxford and Portsmouth also look contenders but Wigan’s and Hull’s struggles seem set to continue
It is fair to say Peterborough were miffed when they were bumped out of the play-offs on points per game – “this is the worst day of my life because I think we’ve been cheated” said a typically understated Barry Fry, the director of football – but they will have a chance if they can carry on where they left off. The division’s most prolific side won seven of their last nine matches, scoring four times in four of those and overcoming promoted Wycombe and Rotherham along the way. The £6m sale of top-scorer Ivan Toney was inevitable but the return of Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol Rovers, coupled with the emergence of Ricky Jade-Jones, 17, and Flynn Clarke, 20, gives Posh reasons to be cheerful.Continue reading...
- Thu, 20 Aug 2020 16:00:16 +0000: Transfer roundup: Robinson becomes Fulham's first signing since promotion - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- USA defender arrives at Craven Cottage for £1.9m
- Danny Loader completes move from Reading to Porto
Fulham have made their first signing since winning promotion to the Premier League, buying Antonee Robinson from Wigan Athletic for £1.9m.
Robinson, who has impressed at left-back for Wigan, was a target for several Premier League clubs. West Ham scouted him at the end of last season and the USA defender was close to joining Sheffield United until Fulham, who earned an instant return to the top flight after beating Brentford in the Championship play-off final, came in for him.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Sat, 16 Jan 2021 17:44:36 +0000: Rochdale 3-3 Wigan Athletic - BBC Sport
A stoppage-time header from Stephen Humphrys rescues a point for 10-men Rochdale against fellow strugglers Wigan.
- Sat, 16 Jan 2021 12:10:48 +0000: Kal Naismith: Luton Town sign free agent after Wigan Athletic release - BBC Sport
Luton Town sign versatile Scotsman Kal Naismith on a free transfer following his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Fri, 15 Jan 2021 16:45:53 +0000: Wigan Athletic: '11 parties interested' in buying financially-troubled club - BBC Sport
11 parties are interested in buying Wigan Athletic, the financially-troubled League One club's administrators have said.
- Fri, 15 Jan 2021 15:09:54 +0000: Will Keane: Wigan Athletic striker signs deal to expire at end of the season - BBC Sport
Forward Will Keane extends his deal at Wigan Athletic until the end of the 2020-21 League One season.
- Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:08:15 +0000: Wigan Athletic sign defender Tendayi Darikwa while Dan Gardner extends contract - BBC Sport
Wigan sign Nottingham Forest defender Tendayi Darikwa while Dan Gardner signs a new deal, with both running to the end of the season.