Wigan Athletic Latest News
- Tue, 24 Aug 2021 13:40:12 +0000: Wigan warn League One clubs will be charged if James McClean is abused - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- McClean subjected to sectarian abuse during his career
- Wigan send letter to other clubs after re-signing winger
Wigan Athletic have written to their League One rivals to warn clubs that the Football Association will charge them if the Republic of Ireland international James McClean is subjected to sectarian abuse in their stadium.
Wigan, whom McClean rejoined last week, sent a letter to clubs on Monday advising them to “consider putting plans in place to respond to any inappropriate or unlawful chanting”. It is a proactive move by Wigan, for whom McClean played previously between 2013 and 2015.Continue reading...
- Fri, 13 Aug 2021 18:00:16 +0000: Relief replaced by optimism at Wigan after perils of administration | Ben Fisher - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
The League One club narrowly avoided relegation last season but the outlook is dramatically different after a major overhaul
After avoiding relegation to League Two in the penultimate game of last season, there was an outpouring of relief among Wigan Athletic’s players and staff, a little respite after the slog of administration. On Saturday the atmosphere inside the DW Stadium against Rotherham promises to be equally supercharged, not only because it is their first home game with supporters for 17 months but because Abdulrahman al-Jasmi, whose consortium took ownership of the club in March, is in town to take in his first live match.
After that game at Hull in May, a defeat that felt like a victory, Jasmi outlined his vision on a video call along with the Wigan chairman, Talal al-Hammad, and congratulated a team propped up by academy youngsters and players on short-term deals on achieving survival. The squad gathered by a big screen and Leam Richardson, the manager, and Jamie Jones, the club captain, expressed their gratitude to the owners. “They were saying: ‘Well done for staying up,’ but we wanted to say thank you back because they kept us alive, really,” says the Wigan forward Callum Lang.Continue reading...
- Mon, 15 Mar 2021 21:00:29 +0000: 'To help restore pride and belief': Wigan Athletic announce sale of the club - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Agreement reached with Phoenix 2021 Limited
- The deal is expected to be completed by 31 March at latest
Wigan Athletic have announced they have agreed their sale. The League One club, who went into administration last summer, with the subsequent 12-point deduction relegating them from the Championship, said in a statement that an agreement had been reached with Phoenix 2021 Limited. The deal is expected to be completed by 31 March at the latest.
The statement said: “We have agreed a sale of the club and related assets to Phoenix 2021 Limited and we are in the process of finalising the transaction. Contracts have been exchanged, a deposit has been received and it is envisaged that the sale will be completed by 31 March 2021 at the latest.Continue reading...
- Tue, 05 Jan 2021 13:57:17 +0000: Wigan Athletic takeover off amid claims bidder reduced offer by almost 50% - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Administrators had been negotiating takeover since September
- Club say accepting offer would have led to 15-point deduction
Wigan Athletic’s prospective takeover is off, with the League One club claiming that the Spanish bidders reduced their offer by almost 50%.
An offer fronted by the Leganes owner, Felipe Moreno, was accepted by the club’s administrators in September but the process had dragged on until Tuesday morning, when an official club statement revealed the news.Continue reading...
- Wed, 30 Sep 2020 18:01:28 +0000: Spanish investor agrees to buy Wigan Athletic out of administration - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- ‘A substantial deposit’ already paid for League One club
- Latics set to avoid 15-point penalty this season
A Spanish investor has agreed to buy Wigan Athletic out of administration and paid “a substantial deposit”, the League One club’s administrators have announced.
Gerald Krasner and Paul Stanley of the accountancy firm Begbies Traynor said the bidder had experience in football, but otherwise released no details , saying they had agreed to keep the investor’s identity confidential until the hoped-for purchase is complete.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 16:17:03 +0000: Wigan Athletic 2-0 Cheltenham Town - BBC Sport
Wigan cement their position on top of the League One table with a convincing 2-0 victory over Cheltenham.
- Tue, 21 Sep 2021 21:19:49 +0000: Wigan Athletic 0-2 Sunderland: Black Cats cruise into last 16 of Carabao Cup - BBC Sport
Sunderland ease past fellow League One side Wigan to reach the last 16 of the Carabao Cup.
- Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:25:42 +0000: Accrington Stanley 1-4 Wigan Athletic - BBC Sport
Charlie Wyke scores twice as Wigan go top of League One with a thumping 4-1 victory at Accrington.
- Sat, 11 Sep 2021 16:52:22 +0000: Wigan Athletic 2-1 Doncaster Rovers - BBC Sport
Will Keane's double earns high-flying Wigan a comeback win over struggling Doncaster, who remain rock-bottom of League One.
- Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:58:44 +0000: Wigan Athletic bring in Joe Bennett, Jason Kerr and Curtis Tilt - BBC Sport
Wigan Athletic sign full-back Joe Bennett on a two-year deal, St Johnstone's Jason Kerr on a three-year deal and Curtis Tilt on loan.