Wigan Athletic Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:11:34 +0000: The best young players in the Championship this season - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Tammy Abraham turned down a move to the Premier League this week. He is not the only youngster who could step up
Tammy Abraham has already been offered a chance to play in the Premier League in this transfer window. He rejected a loan move to Wolves earlier this week in favour of staying with Aston Villa to help with their push for promotion. Not every player would turn down a Premier League club but his decision may prove wise. There’s little doubt the 21-year-old striker will be a Premier League player next season, wherever that may be, so his choice to stick with a side and system that play to his strengths is admirable. Abraham, who has two England caps, is the joint top scorer in the Championship this season with 16 goals in 20 appearances – and 12 of those goals have come in his last 10 games. Rating: 7.40Continue reading...
- Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:07:06 +0000: Championship roundup: West Brom come from behind to beat Swansea - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Dawson’s and Hegazi’s set-piece goals send West Brom fourth
• Derby midfielder Johnson accused over incident with Allen
West Brom continued their upturn with a 2-1 win at Swansea that took them to fourth place in the Championship. Central defenders Craig Dawson and Ahmed Hegazi punished slack Swansea set-piece marking to hand the visitors their third consecutive victory.
Oli McBurnie’s early effort gave Swansea the lead but West Brom were ahead by half-time and Darren Moore’s side saw out the game in comfortable fashion.Continue reading...
- Sun, 04 Nov 2018 16:00:14 +0000: Leeds move back to top of table thanks to comeback win at Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Leeds United’s head coach, Marcelo Bielsa, felt his side’s victory at the DW Stadium should have been even more emphatic, although the three points were enough to see his team return to the top of the table.
They also ruined Wigan’s farewell to the to departing chairman David Sharpe and owner Dave Whelan despite the on-loan Chelsea right-back Reece James having given them the lead with a superbly struck early free-kick. Pablo Hernández equalised within three minutes and Kemar Roofe took advantage of a defensive mix-up to score what proved to be the winner just 39 seconds into the second period.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Aug 2018 16:35:37 +0000: Steve McClaren and QPR off the bottom after Tomer Hemed sinks Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
A relieved Steve McClaren praised the impact of Tomer Hemed and Nahki Wells after the newly signed loan strikers helped QPR secure their first points of the season.
Rangers, hampered by financial fair play restrictions and beaten in all four of McClaren’s previous league games in charge, beat Wigan thanks to Hemed’s controversial 35th-minute winner, which came when Jake Bidwell headed Luke Freeman’s left-wing corner back towards goal. Joel Lynch appeared to nudge Wigan’s Cheyenne Dunkley out of the way, enabling Hemed to hook home.Continue reading...
- Wed, 22 Aug 2018 22:25:51 +0000: Stoke’s miserable start to the season goes on as Will Grigg hits double for Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Stoke yet to win since relegation from Premier League
• Bolton third after beating Birmingham; Norwich beat Preston
Stoke City were handed a 3-0 home defeat by Wigan Athletic to continue their winless start to life in the Championship. Two goals from Will Grigg – the second from the penalty spot – and another from Gavin Massey saw the visitors win handsomely, while Stoke also had the defender Ashley Williams sent off for a second yellow card with 12 minutes remaining. Stoke have two points from their first four games.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.