Wigan Athletic Latest News
- Sat, 29 Feb 2020 17:53:01 +0000: Football League: Leaders West Brom slump against Wigan after Leeds win - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Sam Morsy winner consigns leaders to home defeat
- David Nugent own-goal helps Fulham past Preston
Leaders West Bromwich Albion saw their advantage cut to a point by Leeds’ crushing 4-0 lunchtime win at Hull City and promptly slumped to a damaging 1-0 home defeat against relegation candidates Wigan Athletic.
League One results
League Two resultsContinue reading...
- Wed, 26 Feb 2020 23:04:20 +0000: Championship roundup: Mitrovic leads Fulham back into third place - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Serb’s header sinks Swansea and ropes in Forest
- Barnsley and Wigan secure timely wins at the bottom
Aleksandar Mitrovic left it late to ensure Fulham maintained their promotion challenge with a 1-0 win against Swansea, having missed a penalty minutes earlier.
The Serbia striker connected with Aboubakar Kamara’s right-wing cross four minutes into injury time to deliver his side’s first win in four games and boost their hopes of breaking into the top two. But a few minutes earlier it appeared as though he would be the villain when he was denied from the spot by the goalkeeper Freddie Woodman after Neeskens Kebano had gone down under a challenge from Connor Roberts.Continue reading...
- Tue, 11 Feb 2020 22:39:11 +0000: EFL roundup: Nottingham Forest’s promotion hopes dented by Charlton - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Lyle Taylor volley earns Addicks 1-0 win at City Ground
• Blackburn climb to eighth with 3-0 home win over Hull
Charlton boosted their fight against relegation with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over high-flying Nottingham Forest at the City Ground.
Sabri Lamouchi’s side came into the game on a high, having enhanced their promotion credentials with a 2-0 win over Leeds and needing a win to reach the automatic promotion places. But a team who included five changes – probably made with Saturday’s trip to West Brom in mind – toiled to turn things around after Lyle Taylor put Charlton ahead in the 24th minute.
- Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:11:00 +0000: Transfer deadline day roundup: Robinson’s Milan move collapses - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Sheffield United complete loans of Zivkovic and Retsos
• Rochdale’s Matheson heads to Wolves in £1m deal
The Wigan Athletic defender Antonee Robinson will remain at the DW Stadium after his move to Milan could not be completed. Robinson, 22, travelled to Milan on Thursday morning after the two clubs agreed a fee for the permanent transfer on Thursday evening. The USA international underwent a medical examination with Milan, though further medical tests with the Italian authorities were required, which were subject to a 72-hour deadline. As such, the deal could not be formally ratified before the 8pm Italian transfer deadline. The Wigan manager, Paul Cook, had said: “He’s an absolute diamond of a young man. He’s one of our leaders in the dressing room.
Sheffield United have signed the Dutch striker Richairo Zivkovic and Greece defender Panos Retsos on loan until the end of the season. Zivkovic, 23, a former Holland Under-21 international, arrives from the Chinese club Changchun Yatai, while Retsos, 21, joins from Bayer Leverkusen. United have also allowed Ravel Morrison to join Middlesbrough on loan.Continue reading...
- Sat, 04 Jan 2020 19:39:58 +0000: Harvey Barnes fills Jamie Vardy’s shoes to fire Leicester past Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
When Brendan Rodgers signed a five-and-a-half-year contract extension last month, he cited a desire to win trophies and, after watching Leicester brush aside Wigan to reach the FA Cup fourth round, his team continue to fight on three fronts.
Liverpool’s 13-point lead in the Premier League seems insurmountable but Leicester could still earn silverware in the domestic cups. On Wednesday they face Aston Villa in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-finals, when Rodgers will surely restore several of the big hitters that were rested here, notably James Maddison.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.