Wigan Athletic Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Fri, 04 Aug 2017 15:00:46 +0000: League One and League Two: a fan from each club previews the 2017–18 season - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
If the fans who spoke to us are right, Bradford City, Bristol Rovers, Bury, Charlton and Southend United – and a few other clubs – will be in the play-offs
It would be nice to stay clear of relegation and have a comfortable season with a few big wins to keep us going. I’d like a number of our younger players to establish themselves here rather than being bought by Premier League clubs.
Related: League Two 2017-18 season previewContinue reading...
- Mon, 03 Jul 2017 09:12:24 +0000: Premier League at 25: fans from all 47 clubs on their best and worst memories - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Fans from the 47 clubs to have competed in the league reminisce about legends such as Paulo Wanchope, Duncan Ferguson, Juninho and Jay-Jay Okocha
Best moment: For all the rage of the last year (or two, or three, or four depending on if and when the stasis finally broke you), we have been rather blessed during the Premier League era. We have won the league at White Hart Lane, a ground that was demolished with Arsenal having won as many titles there as the home team have in their entire existence. We have won the league at Old Trafford, the home of our great rivals of the time. We have gone an entire season unbeaten. But it’s hard to remember a single moment where life was so perfect as when Tony Adams, Mr Arsenal himself, sprinted forward to bring down a chipped throughball from Steve Bould (!) and lash it home in front of the North Bank at Highbury in the glorious sunshine to seal our first Premier League title in 1997-98.Continue reading...
- Mon, 17 Apr 2017 19:06:56 +0000: Brighton seal promotion after win over Wigan and Huddersfield draw at Derby - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
The din of delight which went up at the final whistle here, as joyful supporters spilled out from all sides on to the turf, was cathartic. Brighton & Hove Albion can finally consign all those nightmarish memories of uncertainty to history. They can forget the seasons of homelessness after the shameful sale of the Goldstone Ground, years of soul‑destroying 70-mile commutes to home games in Gillingham, and even draw a line under the regular, crippling disappointments of play-off defeat. A tortuous journey from the brink of oblivion back into the elite is complete.Continue reading...
- Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:57:27 +0000: Managers suffer time deprivation in Championship that never sleeps | Ed Aarons - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Derby County’s quickfire turnover symptomatic of the alarming hire-and-fire culture in the division that has seen 14 managers leave their posts this season
Gary Rowett must know he does not have long. Around 18 weeks, if the Derby chairman’s form is anything to go by. Just ask Paul Clement. Or Nigel Pearson.
Derby are in their ninth consecutive season in the Championship and their appointment of Rowett to replace Steve McClaren this week means that when they face their bitter rivals Nottingham Forest on Saturday the fixture will feature two new faces in the dugouts for a fifth time in succession – a run that stretches back to January 2015. On that occasion, McClaren – in his first spell at Pride Park – lost to Stuart Pearce 2-1 before gaining revenge almost two years later in his second spell with a 3-0 win over Philippe Montanier.Continue reading...
- Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:13:49 +0000: Wigan sack Warren Joyce after just four months in charge - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Graham Barrow to take over until the end of the season
• Wigan’s defeat against Bristol City left them four points from safety
Wigan Athletic have sacked Warren Joyce less than four months after he was appointed manager, with Graham Barrow to take over until the end of the season.
After Norwich City axed Alex Neil on Friday and Derby County dispensed with Steve McClaren on Sunday, Wigan followed suit in removing Joyce from his post with the club four points adrift of safety with only nine fixtures remaining.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.