Wigan Athletic Latest News
- Tue, 20 Aug 2019 21:08:28 +0000: Football League: Woodgate gets first Middlesbrough win while Derby lose - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Assombalonga sinks Wigan; Derby slip against Bristol City
• Sheffield Wednesday go top with win against Luton
Jonathan Woodgate said Middlesbrough remain “a work in progress” despite his first win as head coach against Wigan.
Britt Assombalonga’s 23rd-minute header was enough to seal Woodgate’s first three points since succeeding Tony Pulis in the summer. But the Middlesbrough manager, knowing his team were far from convincing, does not want anyone to get carried away and has warned that there will be peaks and troughs throughout his first season in charge.Continue reading...
- Tue, 20 Aug 2019 11:41:17 +0000: The Dutch model of developing young footballers: let them sink or swim - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
The best teenagers at Ajax, PSV, AZ and Utrecht do not play in a youth league. They face men in the country’s second division
Despite Ajax going desperately close to reaching the Champions League final, the Eredivisie seems to be out of fashion with Premier League recruiters. Only two players moved from the Dutch league to the Premier League this summer. Coincidentally, they went to last season’s top two, with Manchester City paying PSV £5.3m for Angeliño and Liverpool signing 17-year-old Sepp van den Berg from Zwolle for £4.4m. In contrast, six players arrived from Belgium at a cost of £98m.
Below the top six clubs in the Eredivisie, budgets are small, ranging from €7m to €17m, similar to clubs towards the top of League 1 and bottom of the Championship. The Eredivisie has been a source of talent in the past. Dennis Bergkamp, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Suárez were all top scorers in the league before lighting up the Premier League. And both Romário and Ronaldo won the golden boot in the Netherlands as they made the move to European football.Continue reading...
- Sat, 03 Aug 2019 16:59:07 +0000: Football League: Cardiff sunk by Wigan, Leyton Orient pay Edinburgh tribute - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- QPR win at Stoke, 10-man Wednesday hold on at Reading
- Coventry get result at St Andrew’s, Salford get maiden win
Neil Warnock’s Cardiff returned to the division with a 3-2 defeat at Wigan. Joe Ralls’ expert finish put the Bluebirds into a 20th minute lead before Wigan’s Josh Windass missed a penalt. Undeterred, Wigan equalised and then took the lead after goals from Michael Jacobs and Windass. Omar Bogle equalised against his former club, but Lee Evans’ whipped finish settled a hugely entertaining match. Fulham also came back to the Championship with a bump, losing 1-0 to Barnsley at Oakwell.
Barnsley 1-0 Fulham, Blackburn 1-2 Charlton, Brentford 0-1 Birmingham, Millwall 1-0 Preston, Reading 1-3 Sheff Wed, Stoke 1-2 QPR, Swansea 2-1 Hull, Wigan 3-2 Cardiff, Nottm Forest 1-2 West Brom
Blackpool 2-0 Bristol Rovers, Burton 0-1 Ipswich, Bury P-P MK Dons, Coventry 1-0 Southend, Doncaster 1-1 Gillingham, Lincoln 2-0 Accrington, Peterborough 1-3 Fleetwood, Shrewsbury 1-0 Portsmouth, Sunderland 1-1 Oxford, Tranmere 2-3 Rochdale, Wimbledon 1-2 Rotherham, Wycombe 2-0 Bolton
Salford City 2-0 Stevenage, Bradford 0-0 Cambridge, Carlisle 2-1 Crawley, Colchester 1-1 Port Vale, Crewe 0-3 Plymouth, Exeter 1-0 Macclesfield, Forest Green 1-0 Oldham, Leyton Orient 1-0 Cheltenham, Morecambe 0-2 Grimsby, Newport 2-2 Mansfield, Northampton 0-1 Walsall, Scunthorpe 0-2 SwindonContinue reading...
- Wed, 31 Jul 2019 10:00:40 +0000: Championship 2019-20 season preview - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Fulham could bounce straight back with their four-man attack while Leeds are sure to be in the promotion mix and Neil Warnock’s Cardiff are not to be ignored
There may not be an overwhelming favourite for automatic promotion but certain teams appear streets ahead in the firepower stakes. None more so than Fulham, who will likely start with an attacking diamond of Aleksandar Mitrovic, a Premier League striker in all but name, Anthony Knockaert, Ivan Cavaleiro and Tom Cairney, a player capable of running games in this division. Fulham deservedly took flak for their lavish and directionless spending last summer but it is impossible to ignore their latest business. They were, though, a soft touch in defence last season, so Scott Parker still has plenty to address, and the expectation will prove a test of his credentials.Continue reading...
- Fri, 19 Apr 2019 16:21:39 +0000: Ten-man Wigan stun Leeds to blow Championship promotion race open - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
This was the day when Leeds were supposed to hit the accelerator and watch the dual carriageway towards the Premier League open up in front of them but, instead, 10-man Wigan delighted in forcing Marcelo Bielsa’s team on to the hard shoulder.
Paul Cook’s side arrived with the worst away record in the Football League but they left their opponents as frustrated as the over-heated drivers stuck in Easter traffic on the clogged motorways surrounding the city.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.