Wigan Athletic Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Sun, 04 Nov 2018 16:00:14 +0000: Leeds move back to top of table thanks to comeback win at Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Leeds United’s head coach, Marcelo Bielsa, felt his side’s victory at the DW Stadium should have been even more emphatic, although the three points were enough to see his team return to the top of the table.
They also ruined Wigan’s farewell to the to departing chairman David Sharpe and owner Dave Whelan despite the on-loan Chelsea right-back Reece James having given them the lead with a superbly struck early free-kick. Pablo Hernández equalised within three minutes and Kemar Roofe took advantage of a defensive mix-up to score what proved to be the winner just 39 seconds into the second period.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Aug 2018 16:35:37 +0000: Steve McClaren and QPR off the bottom after Tomer Hemed sinks Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
A relieved Steve McClaren praised the impact of Tomer Hemed and Nahki Wells after the newly signed loan strikers helped QPR secure their first points of the season.
Rangers, hampered by financial fair play restrictions and beaten in all four of McClaren’s previous league games in charge, beat Wigan thanks to Hemed’s controversial 35th-minute winner, which came when Jake Bidwell headed Luke Freeman’s left-wing corner back towards goal. Joel Lynch appeared to nudge Wigan’s Cheyenne Dunkley out of the way, enabling Hemed to hook home.Continue reading...
- Wed, 22 Aug 2018 22:25:51 +0000: Stoke’s miserable start to the season goes on as Will Grigg hits double for Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Stoke yet to win since relegation from Premier League
• Bolton third after beating Birmingham; Norwich beat Preston
Stoke City were handed a 3-0 home defeat by Wigan Athletic to continue their winless start to life in the Championship. Two goals from Will Grigg – the second from the penalty spot – and another from Gavin Massey saw the visitors win handsomely, while Stoke also had the defender Ashley Williams sent off for a second yellow card with 12 minutes remaining. Stoke have two points from their first four games.Continue reading...
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 09:00:13 +0000: Nick Powell refinds his feet at Wigan and stirs a few memories | Ben Fisher - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
The former Crewe midfielder who won over Sir Alex Ferguson in a matter of minutes is back doing what he does best after his wilderness years at Old Trafford
In a candid interview a couple of years ago, Nick Powell discussed how he felt at being perceived as a lost cause, a maverick and a nuisance. An exceptional talent, his ability has never been doubted but Powell was a player at pains to prove he could reach the heights he was supposed to reach. Described by Sir Alex Ferguson as the heir to Paul Scholes’s throne on joining Manchester United as an 18-year-old, he is playing with a freedom again, enjoying a kind of renaissance at Wigan.Continue reading...
- Thu, 02 Aug 2018 12:06:57 +0000: Championship: fans from all 24 clubs preview the 2018-19 season - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Aston Villa, Derby and Stoke fans are feeling a lot more positive than their friends at Reading, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Wigan
After a turbulent off-season where administration looked like a real possibility, there is an air of positivity around the club following investment from two billionaires. For a while it looked like we’d have to sell our best players. As that no longer looks to be the case, I’m feeling hopeful. We’ll start the campaign with Jack Grealish, Andre Green and Jonathan Kodjia, who all were out of the side for significant periods last season. We are, however, weakened by the departures of Robert Snodgrass, Sam Johnstone and John Terry. Assuming there are no significant departures, Villa can challenge for a place in the play-offs at the very least. After Cardiff reached the Premier League last season, automatic promotion should not be beyond our wildest dreams. I predict we’ll finish fifth. Josh Smith
Related: Championship 2018-19 season previewContinue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.