Wigan Athletic Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Tue, 20 Feb 2018 22:30:04 +0000: Wigan’s Will Grigg plays catch-up until 4am after the night of his life - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Striker knew the Manchester City tie would be one of few chances and feared he had missed his best one until he got half a yard on Kyle Walker
Wigan seem to be making a habit of it but for Will Grigg it is not every day you knock Manchester City out of the FA Cup and the goalscorer in Monday’s dramatic tie cheerfully admits the first thing he did when he got home was put the television on and watch it again.
And again and again, from the sound of things. “The last time I looked it was about 4am,” the Northern Ireland striker says. “I needed to catch up with the television because the match itself went by in a blur, but to be honest the whole night was a bit like that. By the time I got home I had about a hundred WhatsApps and 50-odd text messages. A mix of friends, team-mates, ex-team mates, it was great to see them. So I made myself a drink and sat down, keeping in touch with everyone and flicking through the best bits on television. I couldn’t have slept anyway. I’m usually bad after games but this one especially so.”Continue reading...
- Tue, 20 Feb 2018 15:53:08 +0000: Sergio Agüero considering pressing charges over Wigan crowd trouble - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Manchester City striker confronted by fan after 1-0 loss
• Police launch investigation into disorder at DW Stadium
Sergio Agüero believes he was told to “suck my dick” and was spat at in his ear by the Wigan supporter who confronted him at the DW Stadium on Monday, with the striker considering pressing charges for common assault.
Agüero met with Manchester City officials, including those from the legal department, on Tuesday to discuss his options and he may yet make his disquiet official by lodging a complaint with the police.Continue reading...
- Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:44:58 +0000: Pep Guardiola backs his Manchester City players despite FA Cup loss at Wigan – video - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola praised the professionalism of his players despite a shock FA Cup fifth-round defeat to Wigan on Monday night. Fabian Delph saw red for the Premier League leaders, and Guardiola was involved in an angry outburst in the tunnel with Wigan manager Paul Cook at half-time, but it was Will Grigg’s solitary goal that sent City out of the cup.Continue reading...
- Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:43:32 +0000: Wigan shock win over Manchester City sparks angry scenes at DW Stadium - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• City fans launch fusillade of missiles at pitch after final whistle
• Sergio Agüero involved in skirmish with home fan
Wigan put in the doughtiest of defensive performances to pull off the shock of the season against Manchester City and once again breathe life into the FA Cup, though this eventful evening was old-fashioned in an unsavoury sense too, with scenes at the end resembling the dark days of terrace hooliganism from 40 years ago.
There was an old school pitch invasion at the final whistle, which might not have been so bad had the players been allowed to leave the pitch safely. They were not and Sergio Agüero was most conspicuously involved in an unseemly scuffle with fans in which a couple of punches were thrown.Continue reading...
- Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:52:40 +0000: Pep Guardiola’s gamble backfires and Wigan complete unlikely FA Cup hat-trick | Paul Wilson - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
City’s manager fails to learn from Tottenham’s experience at Rochdale and his weakened team paid a hefty price
Manchester City had already done their bit for the romance of the FA Cup by losing to Wigan twice in the last few years, first in the 2013 final and then in the quarters a year later. Incredibly this hectic night might eclipse both those upsets.
The chances of the underdogs completing a hat-trick looked slim with two divisions separating the sides and City practically crowned champions already, though where there is Claudio Bravo in goal there is always hope and Pep Guardiola sportingly offered Wigan further encouragement by starting with Kevin De Bruyne and Kyle Walker on the bench.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.