Wigan Athletic Latest News
- Mon, 15 Mar 2021 21:00:29 +0000: 'To help restore pride and belief': Wigan Athletic announce sale of the club - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Agreement reached with Phoenix 2021 Limited
- The deal is expected to be completed by 31 March at latest
Wigan Athletic have announced they have agreed their sale. The League One club, who went into administration last summer, with the subsequent 12-point deduction relegating them from the Championship, said in a statement that an agreement had been reached with Phoenix 2021 Limited. The deal is expected to be completed by 31 March at the latest.
The statement said: “We have agreed a sale of the club and related assets to Phoenix 2021 Limited and we are in the process of finalising the transaction. Contracts have been exchanged, a deposit has been received and it is envisaged that the sale will be completed by 31 March 2021 at the latest.Continue reading...
- Tue, 05 Jan 2021 13:57:17 +0000: Wigan Athletic takeover off amid claims bidder reduced offer by almost 50% - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Administrators had been negotiating takeover since September
- Club say accepting offer would have led to 15-point deduction
Wigan Athletic’s prospective takeover is off, with the League One club claiming that the Spanish bidders reduced their offer by almost 50%.
An offer fronted by the Leganes owner, Felipe Moreno, was accepted by the club’s administrators in September but the process had dragged on until Tuesday morning, when an official club statement revealed the news.Continue reading...
- Wed, 30 Sep 2020 18:01:28 +0000: Spanish investor agrees to buy Wigan Athletic out of administration - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- ‘A substantial deposit’ already paid for League One club
- Latics set to avoid 15-point penalty this season
A Spanish investor has agreed to buy Wigan Athletic out of administration and paid “a substantial deposit”, the League One club’s administrators have announced.
Gerald Krasner and Paul Stanley of the accountancy firm Begbies Traynor said the bidder had experience in football, but otherwise released no details , saying they had agreed to keep the investor’s identity confidential until the hoped-for purchase is complete.Continue reading...
- Wed, 16 Sep 2020 18:26:22 +0000: Wigan in danger of being wound up like Macclesfield, administrators warn - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
- Administrators outline difficulty of finding buyer amid Covid
- Offers over £2m wanted for team, stadium and training ground
The administrators trying to find a buyer for Wigan Athletic fear the club could become the next Macclesfield, because of the difficulty of finding willing investors during the pandemic.
Covid-19 was cited by Wigan’s Hong Kong owners as the reason for pulling the plug in the first place, plunging the club into administration and triggering a 12-point deduction that saw them relegated into League One, and Paul Stanley of the corporate recovery specialists Begbies Traynor admits that selling an empty stadium is a much harder task than dealing with a football sale in normal circumstances.Continue reading...
- Thu, 10 Sep 2020 07:00:36 +0000: League One 2020-21 season preview - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
Peterborough and Sunderland hope to put last season behind them, Oxford and Portsmouth also look contenders but Wigan’s and Hull’s struggles seem set to continue
It is fair to say Peterborough were miffed when they were bumped out of the play-offs on points per game – “this is the worst day of my life because I think we’ve been cheated” said a typically understated Barry Fry, the director of football – but they will have a chance if they can carry on where they left off. The division’s most prolific side won seven of their last nine matches, scoring four times in four of those and overcoming promoted Wycombe and Rotherham along the way. The £6m sale of top-scorer Ivan Toney was inevitable but the return of Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol Rovers, coupled with the emergence of Ricky Jade-Jones, 17, and Flynn Clarke, 20, gives Posh reasons to be cheerful.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Tue, 13 Apr 2021 19:22:52 +0000: Wigan Athletic 2-1 Sunderland - BBC Sport
Sunderland's automatic promotion hopes suffer a blow after Wigan come from behind to win at DW Stadium.
- Sat, 10 Apr 2021 17:04:12 +0000: Doncaster Rovers 1-4 Wigan Athletic - BBC Sport
Wigan boost their chances of staying in League One with a convincing win at Doncaster.
- Mon, 05 Apr 2021 16:29:01 +0000: Wigan Athletic 0-1 Portsmouth - BBC Sport
Portsmouth strengthen their position in the League One play-off places with a hard-fought 1-0 victory at relegation-threatened Wigan.
- Wed, 31 Mar 2021 19:06:47 +0000: Gillingham 1-0 Wigan Athletic - BBC Sport
In-form Vadaine Oliver's late winner sees off relegation-threatened Wigan to move Gillingham into the League One play-off places.
- Tue, 30 Mar 2021 19:44:24 +0000: Wigan Athletic: Abdulrahman Al-Jasmi takeover of League One strugglers completed - BBC Sport
A takeover of League One club Wigan Athletic by a consortium led by Abdulrahman Al-Jasmi is completed after EFL approval.