Wigan Athletic Latest News
- Sat, 04 Jan 2020 19:39:58 +0000: Harvey Barnes fills Jamie Vardy’s shoes to fire Leicester past Wigan - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
When Brendan Rodgers signed a five-and-a-half-year contract extension last month, he cited a desire to win trophies and, after watching Leicester brush aside Wigan to reach the FA Cup fourth round, his team continue to fight on three fronts.
Liverpool’s 13-point lead in the Premier League seems insurmountable but Leicester could still earn silverware in the domestic cups. On Wednesday they face Aston Villa in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-finals, when Rodgers will surely restore several of the big hitters that were rested here, notably James Maddison.Continue reading...
- Wed, 11 Dec 2019 23:35:16 +0000: Championship: Wigan hold West Brom, Swansea's Cooper rages at referee - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Austin rescues point but Albion miss chance to retake top spot
• Steve Cooper hits out at referee after 1-1 draw with Blackburn
West Brom missed a chance to return to the top of the Championship when they could only draw at struggling Wigan. Sam Johnstone’s own goal five minutes into the second half put the home side ahead but Albion equalised when Charlie Austin struck from close range following an indirect free-kick. The 1-1 draw means Leeds stay top on goal difference, although both teams boast an 11-point lead over Fulham in third.
“We have to be honest enough to admit we weren’t as good tonight as we’ve been so far,” the West Brom manager, Slaven Bilic, said afterwards. “We started slowly, and we have to admit we didn’t deserve anything more than a point … but we have to take this as a blessing, because we know we can’t be like this again.”Continue reading...
- Tue, 26 Nov 2019 22:52:50 +0000: Championship: Jack Harrison sends Leeds top as Fulham move third - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Leeds leapfrog West Brom with 1-0 win at Reading
• Fulham take third spot thanks to 3-0 victory over Derby
Leeds went top of the Championship thanks to a late goal from Jack Harrison that secured a 1-0 win at Reading. Marcelo Bielsa’s side chalked up a fourth successive win, and made it seven matches without defeat, to move a point clear of West Brom, who have played a game less.
Leeds saw an effort from Stuart Dallas hit the crossbar just after the hour then, with only three minutes left, Leeds went on a swift counter, with Helder Costa’s deflected cross headed in by Harrison at the far post.Continue reading...
- Wed, 23 Oct 2019 22:09:09 +0000: Championship roundup: Brownhill’s Bristol City late show sinks Charlton - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Josh Brownhill sends 10-man City fourth in stoppage time
• Aleksandar Mitrovic scores hat-trick as Fulham beat Luton 3-2
Bristol City came from behind to beat Charlton 2-1 thanks to a Josh Brownhill stoppage-time winner in a thriller at Ashton Gate. The midfielder raced on to a long ball through the middle before firing past Dillon Phillips in the eighth minute of added time. The win moves Lee Johnson’s side fourth.
Charlton had taken a 65th-minute lead when Macauley Bonne coolly slotted into an empty net. Substitute Famara Diedhiou levelled 10 minutes later, but he was then shown an 86th-minute red card.Continue reading...
- Tue, 20 Aug 2019 21:08:28 +0000: Football League: Woodgate gets first Middlesbrough win while Derby lose - Wigan Athletic | The Guardian
• Assombalonga sinks Wigan; Derby slip against Bristol City
• Sheffield Wednesday go top with win against Luton
Jonathan Woodgate said Middlesbrough remain “a work in progress” despite his first win as head coach against Wigan.
Britt Assombalonga’s 23rd-minute header was enough to seal Woodgate’s first three points since succeeding Tony Pulis in the summer. But the Middlesbrough manager, knowing his team were far from convincing, does not want anyone to get carried away and has warned that there will be peaks and troughs throughout his first season in charge.Continue reading...
The Wigan Football News Archives are detailed below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:02:02 +0000: Buxton joins Burton after Wigan exit - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Championship side Burton Albion sign former Derby County and Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton on a one-year contract.
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:27:45 +0000: Burton Albion sign full-back Warnock - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Burton Albion sign full-back Stephen Warnock on a one-year deal after his release by Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:18:25 +0000: Flores signs two-year Wigan deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Winger Jordan Flores signs a new two-year contract with League One side Wigan Athletic.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:41 +0000: League One fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in League One during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:12:31 +0000: Wigan agree to release Buxton - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Wigan Athletic | BBC
Wigan Athletic defender Jake Buxton leaves the club by mutual consent after 12 months of a three-year contract.