West Ham United Latest Team News for 2017 – 2018
- Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:00:16 +0000: Declan Rice survives put-downs to reveal rich England promise | Jacob Steinberg - West Ham United | The Guardian
Midfielder came in for harsh criticism by West Ham managers early in his career but 20-year-old’s resilience never wavered
To understand how Declan Rice has turned himself into one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premier League you have to go back to a sunny afternoon at St James’s Park in August 2017 and one of those moments that could have inflicted lasting damage on a young player’s belief in his ability to rise to the top.
Before anyone gets the wrong impression, it is worth pointing out West Ham had plenty of time to bail out Rice after Matt Ritchie hassled him off the ball and launched the attack that led to Newcastle’s opening goal that day. Yet the move developed at pace, Joselu scored and the kid who was making his second league start had to shoulder the blame when West Ham traipsed into the dressing room 1-0 down at half-time.Continue reading...
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 08:19:52 +0000: FA Cup and Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend - West Ham United | The Guardian
Ross Barkley’s difficult return, VAR inconsistency in the FA Cup, Nuno Espírito Santo impresses and James Maddison’s class
Ross Barkley would have known what kind of reception awaited him at Goodison Park: the type rained down on previous Everton escapees such as Wayne Rooney and Joleon Lescott. Goodison might not be much longer for this world, with the latest suggestion being a new stadium for 2023, but for now it retains old‑fashioned menace to those who have transgressed the Evertonian code. Barkley’s crime among the faithful is to have left Goodison on a cut-price transfer to Chelsea in the January transfer window of last year after running down his contract. As he left the field after being substituted in the 65th minute, he responded to the hail of jeers by applauding all sides of the stadium. To Barkley’s credit, he has made himself a regular under Maurizio Sarri but like so many other Chelsea players at Goodison – and this season – he is wasted by the Neapolitan’s rigid thinking. John Brewin
Twitter: follow us at @guardian_sportContinue reading...
- Sat, 16 Mar 2019 17:33:24 +0000: Javier Hernández the hero as West Ham beat Huddersfield in seven-goal thriller - West Ham United | The Guardian
Javier Hernández scored twice as West Ham came back from the brink of a humiliating defeat. Huddersfield, bottom of the Premier League and all but doomed, were heading towards only their fourth win of the season when they led 3-1 through Juninho Bacuna and a double from Karlan Grant. But Hernández came off the bench to score twice and push Huddersfield another step closer to the Championship.Continue reading...
- Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:06:09 +0000: West Ham v Huddersfield: match preview - West Ham United | The Guardian
Marko Arnautovic is set to start his first game for West Ham since January and will be confident he can find the net against Huddersfield. Jan Siewert said his side’s performance against Bournemouth was unacceptable so will want more against West Ham. But how much more can they give? They are 16 points from safety with 24 remaining to earn. Another shocker like Manuel Pellegrini’s side produced against Cardiff would be a welcome bonus for Siewert. Graham Searles
Saturday 3pmContinue reading...
- Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:31:44 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - West Ham United | The Guardian
Emery has Arsenal on course for top-four finish, Camarasa’s class is vital for Cardiff and Coady leads Wolves from the back
Manchester United arrived in north London having won every away game under Ole Gunnar Solskjær, including a comprehensive FA Cup fourth-round victory at the Emirates. Arsenal had an unbeaten run of their own to protect – they haven’t lost at home in the league since the opening day – and Granit Xhaka’s early goal enabled them to maintain that run. Arsenal rode their luck at times, but Unai Emery’s three-man defence restricted the visitors’ threat on the break, while the deployment of both Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang up front paid off. Victory takes Arsenal’s tally against their fellow ‘big six’ teams this season to 12 points – double what they managed in Arsène Wenger’s farewell season. With a relatively kind run-in, a top-four finish (preferably above Spurs) now appears firmly within reach – an achievement most fans would have taken before their first season with Emery at the wheel. Niall McVeighContinue reading...
The West Ham News Archives are as follows:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
- Sat, 24 Jun 2017 06:20:53 +0000: World Cup winner Arbeloa retires aged 34 - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Former Liverpool, Real Madrid and West Ham defender Alvaro Arbeloa is retiring from football at the age of 34.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:55:41 +0000: West Ham's Oxford joins Gladbach - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
West Ham defender Reece Oxford joins German side Borussia Monchengladbach on a season-long loan deal.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 06:59:41 +0000: Man Utd top football rich list - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Manchester United overtake Real Madrid as the world's most valuable football team, according to business magazine Forbes.