West Ham United Latest Team News for 2017 – 2018
- Sun, 18 Mar 2018 06:00:01 +0000: The beautiful game is beginning to reflect all that is ugly in society | David Goldblatt - West Ham United | The Guardian
Football is increasingly run by mediocre people infected by politics and commerce, yet fans still cling to it as a distraction from real life
On 27 June 2016, four days after the EU referendum, England were beaten 2-1 by Iceland in the knockout stages of the European football championships. It was a remarkable display of collective paralysis and the corrosive consequences of fear. Nearly two years later, the country does not appear dissimilar: less than the sum of its parts, bereft of a guiding collective philosophy, close to humiliation and going out of Europe.
Fortunate as we are to have such an accurate avatar of our lives, it makes me wonder whether football’s uncanny capacity to reflect our social identities and collective moods is also a curse. Many of us, myself included, still look to football as an entertainment, a glorious illusion, a soap opera of distraction. Even though we all know that the spectacle is deformed by the worlds of commerce and politics, we still want to disappear into the zone of play, pleasure and irrelevance: at the game, on the screen, lost in our noisy Twitter feeds. But this season, reality just keeps on intruding, and I don’t want to look.Continue reading...
- Fri, 16 Mar 2018 18:27:15 +0000: West Ham’s Brady told by London mayor to withdraw claim of budget cuts - West Ham United | The Guardian
• Vice-chairman wrote to Sadiq Khan blaming the stadium owner
• Monday meeting followed serious crowd trouble in loss to Burnley
Sadiq Khan has rebuked Karren Brady for claiming that cuts in the London Stadium’s security budget were responsible for the crowd trouble that marred West Ham United’s defeat by Burnley last Saturday.
West Ham’s vice-chairman wrote to the mayor of London after an emergency meeting between stakeholders on Monday and said the head of safety and security at the stadium operator LS185, had blamed failings in security on the stadium’s owner E20 pushing for cuts of more than 15% over the past six months. Brady, who was not at the meeting, quoted the head of safety and security as saying that LS185 had secured the stadium as best it could “with the limited resources available”.Continue reading...
- Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:36:11 +0000: Pitch invaders get what they asked for | Letters - West Ham United | The Guardian
Skripal evidence | Happy countries | Exam crackdown | Making 2001 | West Ham
John Cookson (Letters, 16 March) states: “As for sharing samples with the Russians, that is akin to sharing the evidence of a murder with the murderer.” But sharing evidence with an accused person (or their legal representative) is precisely what an accuser should be doing in a civilised country.
• Interesting to note that of the top 10 “happiest” countries in the world (Happiness index: Wealth, health and freedom put the contented Finns on top of the world, 15 March), six can all be described as having a socialist government.Continue reading...
- Thu, 15 Mar 2018 22:26:13 +0000: West Ham face threat of playing behind closed doors - West Ham United | The Guardian
• Warning follows crowd trouble in Burnley game at London Stadium
• Club warned that any future trouble will lead to sanction
West Ham United have been warned they could face playing behind closed doors if there is a repeat of the crowd trouble that marred their 3-0 home defeat against Burnley.Continue reading...
- Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:34:12 +0000: West Ham vow to give life bans to fans who invaded pitch or threw missiles - West Ham United | The Guardian
• Club working with police after trouble during defeat by Burnley
• West Ham will also ask courts to issue blanket banning orders
West Ham have vowed to issue life bans to the fans who invaded the pitch during Saturday’s 3-0 defeat by Burnley.
The Premier League match at the London Stadium was marred by four separate pitch invasions as well as protests against the club’s board as hundreds of supporters congregated beneath the directors’ box. The joint-owners David Gold and David Sullivan were advised to leave their seats for their own safety, with the latter having been struck on his glasses by a coin.Continue reading...
The West Ham News Archives are as follows:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
- Sat, 24 Jun 2017 06:20:53 +0000: World Cup winner Arbeloa retires aged 34 - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Former Liverpool, Real Madrid and West Ham defender Alvaro Arbeloa is retiring from football at the age of 34.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:55:41 +0000: West Ham's Oxford joins Gladbach - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
West Ham defender Reece Oxford joins German side Borussia Monchengladbach on a season-long loan deal.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 06:59:41 +0000: Man Utd top football rich list - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Manchester United overtake Real Madrid as the world's most valuable football team, according to business magazine Forbes.