West Bromwich Albion Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Sat, 10 Nov 2018 19:31:16 +0000: Dwight Gayle compounds Leeds’ misery as four-goal West Brom run riot - West Bromwich Albion | The Guardian
Marcelo Bielsa had described this trip to West Bromwich Albion as a stern defensive examination and, in the event, it was one his Leeds United side failed miserably. In the last few days Bielsa reeled off the squad numbers of Albion’s front four, declaring them the division’s most fearsome strikeforce and they lived up to that billing here. Three of them, Matt Phillips, Harvey Barnes and Dwight Gayle, struck after Hal Robson-Kanu, making his first start since the opening day of the season, kickstarted a second-half demolition.
Leeds’s poor performance made painful viewing, with Pablo Hernández’s stoppage-time consolation strike the only positive from a thoroughly underwhelming display. Leeds had gone to pieces by the time Gayle added a clever fourth and even more frustrating for Bielsa was that his side allowed Albion’s attacking quartet to have a field day. It was a much-needed result for Darren Moore, whose side recorded their first win in five matches, and a rude awakening for Leeds, who went into this weekend top.Continue reading...
- Wed, 24 Oct 2018 21:04:56 +0000: Championship roundup: Leeds go top after West Brom fluff lines against Derby - West Bromwich Albion | The Guardian
• Leeds 2-0 Ipswich; West Brom 1-4 Derby
• Kemar Roofe and Liam Cooper send Leeds from fifth to first
Leeds United are top of a tightening Championship table after a dominant 2-0 win over bottom club Ipswich Town at Elland Road.Continue reading...
- Mon, 08 Oct 2018 23:01:21 +0000: Silent fans, black eggs, 90-hour trip: recalling West Brom’s tour of China - West Bromwich Albion | The Guardian
Brendon Batson was part of the Albion squad that played in China 40 years ago. As he prepares to head back for a Great Wall charity walk he remembers an extraordinary visit
In 1978 West Bromwich Albion ended their season with a five-game tour of China considered so important to the nation that before their departure they were given a special briefing by the prime minister at Downing Street. To celebrate its 40th anniversary Brendon Batson, then a freshly signed right-back but who over the course of 220 competitive appearances would come to be remembered as one of the club’s legends, is returning to the country to walk part of the Great Wall for charity.
Ron Atkinson, then West Brom’s manager, recalled the original trip without much affection – “I thought it was a nightmare,” he said. “Personally, I hated it” – but Batson’s memory is considerably more forgiving. “It had its moments,” he says now. “There were lots of banquets and it was very formal at times – and the food wasn’t to everybody’s liking – but when you put a group of lads together we’re all like overgrown schoolboys. There’s that camaraderie that you have. I think I quite enjoyed the whole thing. It was one of those trips you reflect on and it became a better trip as the years went by.”
Your mind’s telling you it’s an egg, but your eyes are saying: ‘I ain’t quite sure about that.’Continue reading...
- Wed, 03 Oct 2018 21:35:11 +0000: Championship round-up: West Brom score twice in final five minutes for draw - West Bromwich Albion | The Guardian
• Harvey Barnes equaliser maintains unbeaten run
• Sheffield United beat Blackburn 2-0 to stay third
West Brom scored twice in the last five minutes to earn a 2-2 draw in the Championship at Sheffield Wednesday.Continue reading...
- Wed, 03 Oct 2018 09:30:08 +0000: Smiles return to West Brom faces as they flourish in Championship | Ben Fisher - West Bromwich Albion | The Guardian
Darren Moore impressed as interim manager in the club’s unsuccessful fight for Premier League survival, and now results have brought the feelgood factor back to the Hawthorns
Darren Moore is never going to blow his own trumpet but, after the alienation, strain and pain of relegation last season, the Hawthorns seems a happier haunt these days. “I hope so,” Moore, the affable West Bromwich Albion head coach, says, sitting in a pocket of the stadium overlooking the pristine pitch. “It certainly feels a different place.”
Results help. After almost hatching the greatest of great escapes, the Baggies are back in the Championship, for the first time since 2010. After impressing in caretaker charge – Moore memorably won the manager of the month award after an unbeaten April – he landed the job on a permanent basis by mid-May. No longer the popular supply teacher, these days Moore is head teacher. He has galvanised the group, making the job his own. In some ways, Albion have picked up where they left off. Before Tuesday night’s wins for Leeds and Middlesbrough, they were top of the pile. Victory at Sheffield Wednesday on Wednesday night will return them to the summit.Continue reading...
The West Brom News Archives can be viewed below:
- Sat, 24 Jun 2017 11:57:13 +0000: West Brom open to safe standing trial - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Bromwich Albion | BBC
West Bromwich Albion say they are willing to use The Hawthorns as part of a pilot scheme for safe standing.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Bromwich Albion | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Thu, 01 Jun 2017 16:19:13 +0000: Stoke sign Fletcher on free transfer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Bromwich Albion | BBC
Stoke have signed midfielder Darren Fletcher on a free transfer from West Brom on a two-year deal.
- Sun, 21 May 2017 17:50:38 +0000: Lawro's final-day predictions v rock band Royal Blood - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Bromwich Albion | BBC
BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson takes on rock band Royal Blood in his predictions for the final day of the Premier League season.
- Sun, 21 May 2017 16:29:55 +0000: Swansea City 2-1 West Bromwich Albion - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Bromwich Albion | BBC
Fernando Llorente scores his 15th goal of the season as Swansea come back to beat West Brom at the Liberty Stadium.