Tottenham Hotspur Latest News
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 19:00:04 +0000: Struggling neighbours offer Spurs a grim warning of their own mediocre future | Jonathan Wilson - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Tottenham play mid-table football in a shiny new stadium and fail to bridge the gulf to the rich elite – just like their derby rivals
The phantom slowly, gravely, silently approached Spurs. It was shrouded in a deep black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form, and left nothing visible save one outstretched hand. It pointed to the south-west and in that moment Spurs understood. Spurs looked at Arsenal and saw not a rival but their own future. Could it be that Arsenal are a vision of Tottenham yet to come?
This is a tale of Daniel Levy, of course, and of Mauricio Pochettino and Harry Kane and dozens of others, but it is also about the broader sweep of history. Football, as we know it today, may have been born in London with the formulation of the Football Association at the Freemasons Arms near Covent Garden in 1863 and the codification of the laws that still form the basis of the modern game, but after professionalisation it quickly left.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 10:00:39 +0000: Arsenal the perfect destination for muted Harry Kane to turn up the volume | David Hytner - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Goals flow for the Spurs striker in north London derbies, so Sunday’s setting is just right for him to recover his verve
The in-house Tottenham TV interviewer offered a run-through of the top lines and Harry Kane could not suppress a smile. A 2-0 home win over Arsenal. A great atmosphere inside the stadium. A goal for Kane, which made him the all-time leading scorer in the north London derby. And Spurs on top of the Premier League table. “It literally doesn’t get better than that, does it?” came the prompt. “It’s a pretty good night,” Kane replied, before saying the same thing again, as if to try to process it all.
It was only last December but it feels lifted from a different era. Plenty has changed since that high point, which was fired by the presence of 2,000 fans after nine months of empty stands – and particularly for Kane. Spurs would slump to a seventh-placed finish, dismissing José Mourinho along the way, and Kane made it clear that he wanted a move to Manchester City.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 08:00:37 +0000: Arsenal v Tottenham: match preview - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Do not reach for the reading glasses: Arsenal’s treatment room is, at the time of writing, empty before Sunday’s north London derby. Mikel Arteta hopes for a victory that would provide further evidence times are changing at the Emirates, but his opposite number needs to win a few people over too. Nuno Espírito Santo’s bright start in charge of Tottenham has wobbled, but their first win at their rivals’ home in the league since November 2010 would add significantly to his stash of credit. Nick Ames
Sunday 4.30pm Sky Sports Premier LeagueContinue reading...
- Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:30:24 +0000: Nuno Espírito Santo admits he ignores heading advice in Tottenham training - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
- Manager concerned about goals conceded from set pieces
- Nuno: ‘I don’t count how many times our players head the ball’
Nuno Espírito Santo has said he has ignored the guidance on heading restrictions in training, with Tottenham’s manager suggesting that aerial challenges are impossible to scale down.
The Football Association and the English game’s other major bodies announced in July that players ought to be limited to 10 “higher force” headers a week in training amid continued investigations into the health risks associated with regularly heading a ball, which could include dementia. How the recommendation might be enforced was questioned at the time.Continue reading...
- Thu, 23 Sep 2021 23:01:01 +0000: Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
A finely poised North London derby, a meeting of midfield maestros and Mike Dean refereeing Cristiano Ronaldo
Thomas Tuchel has masterminded three wins out of three against Pep Guardiola since his arrival in England. Another at Stamford Bridge on Saturday will give Chelsea a six-point cushion over the reigning champions after as many Premier League games. Guardiola was roundly criticised following City’s Champions League final defeat for not picking a holding midfielder, despite having lost the FA Cup semi-final between the two sides with both Rodri and Fernandinho in his starting lineup, then a subsequent Premier League match with just the Spaniard shielding his defence. In a fixture where it seems Guardiola can’t seem to do right for doing wrong in terms of team selection, we can only ponder if and how he might “overthink” his tactics for this crunch game. BG
Chelsea v Manchester City, Saturday 12.30pm (all times BST)
Brentford v Liverpool, Saturday 5.30pm
Manchester United v Aston Villa, Saturday 12.30pmContinue reading...
The Archives for Spurs have been compiled below:
- Fri, 24 Sep 2021 13:33:30 +0000: Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur - BBC Sport
Preview followed by live coverage of Sunday's Premier League game between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.
- Fri, 24 Sep 2021 05:11:14 +0000: Arsenal v Tottenham quiz: Can you name the north London derby match-winners? - BBC Sport
Arsenal host rivals Tottenham in the Premier League on Sunday. Can you name these north London derby match-winners?
- Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:26:48 +0000: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur (2-3 on pens): Bruno Lage's side knocked out after shootout - BBC Sport
Bryan Gil scores the decisive penalty as Tottenham beat Wolves in a shootout to reach the fourth round of the Carabao Cup.
- Wed, 22 Sep 2021 12:43:12 +0000: Premier League and Championship clubs invited to trial safe standing - BBC Sport
Premier League and Championship clubs have been asked for expressions of interest to pilot safe standing this season.
- Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:35:13 +0000: Top Football Tweets: Mark Noble's touchmap tells remarkable story - BBC Sport
Some of the best tweets from the weekend's football, including West Ham midfielder Mark Noble's remarkable touchmap.