Tottenham Hotspur Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Sat, 23 Mar 2019 07:00:15 +0000: Tottenham Hotspur station? Some hate it, but branding the railways is nothing new | Ian Jack - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
From Daimler Halt to Singer station, corporate giants of the past left their imprint on the transport network
Names that were once freely chosen – so freely that you hardly gave them a thought – now come with sums of money attached. Market principles operate. In north London, for example, Tottenham Hotspur FC has reportedly gone to considerable trouble and expense to persuade Transport for London to rename the local railway station after the club. The station, White Hart Lane, has been there since 1872; Spurs moved next door into a ground of the same name much later, in 1899. A pub, the White Hart, had been there long before either.
For all this time and more, the names of public places such as stations and sports grounds arrived as the gifts of geography or history. No longer. In Tottenham, a new stadium has recently been completed adjacent to the old one, and tomorrow the first proper game of football will be played on its turf. Crowd capacity has increased from 36,000 to 62,000 at a cost estimated between £400m and £800m, according to how much non-building work you include. What the club needs, and so far hasn’t found, is a business that will defray some of this expense by buying the naming rights. At present the new ground goes by the name of the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but this is temporary. The club needs to fit another word in there, somehow: Diageo, Aviva, Nike, Sony, Topshop – that kind of thing.
At IBM station on the Clyde coast, trains used to stop every hour, in recent years quite pointlesslyContinue reading...
- Fri, 22 Mar 2019 19:46:24 +0000: Time-lapse footage reveals completion of Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium – video - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
The three-year construction of Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium is revealed in a time-lapse video released by the club. The £1bn stadium will be officially unveiled on Sunday, before Spurs play their first match at their new home on 3 April against Crystal Palace.Continue reading...
- Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:14:00 +0000: Sophie Jones quits football after racial abuse ban and Sheffield United exit - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
• FA finds Jones guilty of making monkey noises
• Sheffield United contract terminated by mutual consent
Sophie Jones is giving up football after the Sheffield United Women’s player was on Wednesday given a five-match ban for racially abusing an opponent during a Championship game against Tottenham in January.
Jones’s announcement came after United confirmed her contract had been terminated by “mutual agreement” after she was found guilty of making monkey noises at the Spurs centre-back Renée Hector in January.Continue reading...
- Wed, 20 Mar 2019 09:00:13 +0000: Kieran Trippier looks to reset with England after patchy spell of form - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
• Tottenham’s right-back admits he is lucky to be in squad
• Michael Keane and Harry Maguire may face Czech Republic
Kieran Trippier has admitted he is fortunate to be retained in England’s squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro having endured injury issues and patchy form at Tottenham this season.
Gareth Southgate has selected three right-backs in his squad, with the impressive Crystal Palace defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka overlooked and, instead, retained in the under-21s. Trippier, a key member of the England side who reached the World Cup semi-finals last summer, has not featured at all since the north London derby against Arsenal at the beginning of March with injuries having taken their toll.Continue reading...
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:00:13 +0000: Football’s name-changing fetish shows the game’s infected with greed | Anthony Clavane - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Renaming White Hart Lane station as Tottenham Hotspur is a blow to loyal fans and the neighbourhood’s history
What’s in a name? Everything, if you’re a football fan. The sport has always been driven by finance, but the post-1992 fetish for name-changing has taken commercialisation to a whole new level. And it’s spilling into our public spaces.
History, tradition and community are all high on the list of the reasons why long-suffering supporters stay loyal to their teams. It is fashionable to caricature those who campaign against the corporate rebranding of their clubs as traditionalist dinosaurs. But in an era when local neighbourhoods have become fractured, clinging to the original name of your team, stadium and even local railway station has become one of the few remaining signifiers of community spirit.
Changing the name of the overground station in the club’s catchment area to Tottenham Hotspur is a huge blow to the area’s heritageContinue reading...
The Archives for Spurs have been compiled below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:18:21 +0000: Son to have surgery on fractured arm - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Tottenham forward Son Heung-min could miss the start of the new season after fracturing his arm in South Korea's World Cup qualifier against Qatar.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:23:33 +0000: Mabbutt returns home after heart surgery - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Former Tottenham captain Gary Mabbutt returns home from hospital after undergoing heart surgery.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 15:21:50 +0000: Modric zai bayar da shaida kan zargin cin hanci - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Ana sa ran dan kwallon Real Madrid, Luka Modric, da na Liverpool Dejan Lovren za su bayar da shaida kan zargin cin hanci a Croatia.