Tottenham Hotspur Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Mon, 20 Nov 2017 08:30:45 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Hugo Lloris’s top-four focus for Spurs is telling, Callum Wilson is making up for lost time and can Paul Pogba yet be compared with Steven Gerrard?
After challenging for the title for the past couple of seasons, it was significant to hear Hugo Lloris contemplate looking over Tottenham Hotspur’s shoulder more than in front of them at the end of a derby defeat. “Oh, before we think about [the leaders] Man City it’s important to stay in the top four. This is the main target for our team,” he said. “We heard from outside that Tottenham play for the title, blah, blah, blah. The most important thing is to stay consistent in the league.” The difficulty imposing themselves on the most challenging away fixtures remains a sticking point. Having lost at Old Trafford and Arsenal in recent weeks, next month they visit the Premier League’s pace setters at the Etihad Stadium. Spurs found it hard to penetrate Arsenal’s defence, and when Mauricio Pochettino subbed off Harry Kane and Dele Alli neither could feel they had been at their most influential. “The spirit was good, we were in the fight and able to develop our game with the ball in the floor. But in the final third we need more aggression and movement,” Lloris said. “Now we need to carry on. It’s true that we wanted to do more against Manchester United and Arsenal. Unfortunately we couldn’t do that so now it’s important to have a run of victories because we need to keep our place at the top.” Amy LawrenceContinue reading...
- Sun, 19 Nov 2017 22:30:12 +0000: Shkodran Mustafi insists Arsenal have the self-belief to prove doubters wrong - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Defender calls on his team-mates to build on Tottenham victory as Arsène Wenger hails German’s role in north London derby triumph
Lee Dixon tells an eye-opening story in the film 89 about being pinned up against the wall of the dressing room by his own team‑mates before his first north London derby. He was warned, in no uncertain terms, that if he did not perform in this game of all games he would be in trouble. It is hard to imagine that in the modern game such threats would be part of a pre-match routine, but the words said within the Arsenal camp last week to gee them up for the visit of Tottenham Hotspur certainly had a motivating effect.
In the intensity of their play, in their body language, this was a different kind of Arsenal to the one that has a tendency to freeze up and feel the fear creeping in during high-pressure games. They seemed to relish the situation. Héctor Bellerín let out some kind of primal roar as he headed down the tunnel at half-time in recognition of a two-goal lead his team would not relinquish. Mesut Özil at one point hoiked an agricultural clearance 40 yards straight up into the air – as un-Özil-esque a technique as you could ever imagine – to clamourous acclaim. Alexis Sánchez rediscovered his appetite for careering around the pitch chasing every cause going.Continue reading...
- Sun, 19 Nov 2017 16:22:00 +0000: Arsenal defeat highlights Tottenham frailties against Premier League’s big six | Jonathan Wilson - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Until Mauricio Pochettino’s side learn how to win away against their biggest rivals they will struggle to turn their undoubted potential into trophies
For all that is positive about Tottenham, for all that they are about to move into an exciting new stadium and are blessed with a crop of highly promising young players, their away record against big sides has become an issue. It’s a problem that predates Mauricio Pochettino – Spurs have now won just four of their last 87 away games against Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool – but one that he seems a long way from resolving: although this was his first league defeat to Arsenal, he has now won just one of 18 away games against other top-six sides.
There were mitigating factors here – the fact that neither Harry Kane nor Mousa Dembélé looked fully fit and that Harry Winks wasn’t able to start, plus marginal refereeing calls on both Arsenal goals – but there always are. Pochettino, as he had to, mounted a defence, pointing out that other top-six sides also have problems in away games against the elite, but this was a game settled in the final half hour of the first half as Arsenal produced one of the displays of ferocity and discipline of which they are infrequently capable and which they have recently reserved for big games in the FA Cup. When they can press as well as this, you wonder why they don’t do it all the time.Continue reading...
- Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:05:05 +0000: Arsenal front three give supporters a glimpse of better times ahead | Barney Roney - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
Sensational attacking force of Mesut Özil, Alexis Sánchez and Alexandre Lacazette make Tottenham toil in the north London derby
Ten minutes into the second half at the Emirates Mesut Özil muscled Dele Alli off the ball on the edge of his own box, buffeted forward through the white shirts, played a perfect little combination with Aaron Ramsey and just missed out on the final scoring pass having sprinted 80 metres, carving his way across the lime green turf of a November afternoon like an elegantly high-spec German bulldozer.Continue reading...
- Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:24:26 +0000: Arsène Wenger praises Mesut Özil and Alexis Sánchez after Arsenal’s derby win - Tottenham Hotspur | The Guardian
• ‘I never questioned their commitment,’ says manager of contract rebels
• Özil and Sánchez played crucial roles in 2-0 victory over Tottenham
Arsène Wenger insisted he has no doubts about Mesut Özil’s and Alexis Sánchez’s commitment after Arsenal’s contract rebels played starring roles in the impressive 2-0 home victory over Tottenham Hotspur at the Emirates Stadium.
While Wenger admitted one derby win will not be enough to convince Özil and Sánchez to extend deals that expire at the end of the season, Arsenal’s manager was delighted with vigorous showings from his two best players. Özil created Shkodran Mustafi’s opening goal and Sánchez scored the second as the Gunners silenced talk of a shift in the balance of power in north London.Continue reading...
The Archives for Spurs have been compiled below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:18:21 +0000: Son to have surgery on fractured arm - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Tottenham forward Son Heung-min could miss the start of the new season after fracturing his arm in South Korea's World Cup qualifier against Qatar.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:23:33 +0000: Mabbutt returns home after heart surgery - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Former Tottenham captain Gary Mabbutt returns home from hospital after undergoing heart surgery.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 15:21:50 +0000: Modric zai bayar da shaida kan zargin cin hanci - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Tottenham Hotspur | BBC
Ana sa ran dan kwallon Real Madrid, Luka Modric, da na Liverpool Dejan Lovren za su bayar da shaida kan zargin cin hanci a Croatia.