Swansea City Latest News
- Wed, 26 Feb 2020 23:04:20 +0000: Championship roundup: Mitrovic leads Fulham back into third place - Swansea City | The Guardian
- Serb’s header sinks Swansea and ropes in Forest
- Barnsley and Wigan secure timely wins at the bottom
Aleksandar Mitrovic left it late to ensure Fulham maintained their promotion challenge with a 1-0 win against Swansea, having missed a penalty minutes earlier.
The Serbia striker connected with Aboubakar Kamara’s right-wing cross four minutes into injury time to deliver his side’s first win in four games and boost their hopes of breaking into the top two. But a few minutes earlier it appeared as though he would be the villain when he was denied from the spot by the goalkeeper Freddie Woodman after Neeskens Kebano had gone down under a challenge from Connor Roberts.Continue reading...
- Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:30:07 +0000: Why Premier League clubs are turning to an Australian bank in big numbers - Swansea City | The Guardian
Teams in England’s top two divisions are taking sizeable loans from Macquarie, at times mortgaged against future TV earnings
It was once dubbed the “vampire kangaroo” and accused of “feasting on Britain’s creaking infrastructure” after investing in companies such as Thames Water and avoiding tax through a legal but controversial web of subsidiaries in Luxembourg and the Cayman Islands. But Macquarie Group Limited is a growing influence on English football, underlined on one day last month by Leicester and Wolves extending sizeable loans with the Australian investment bank that are mortgaged against future TV earnings.
Now with a portfolio that also includes Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Sheffield United, Southampton, Swansea City, Watford, West Brom and Wolves, a company estimated to manage almost £288bn worth of assets has emerged as the second-biggest lender, behind Barclays bank, in an industry where owners continue to chase the dream. Since 2013, and encouraged by increased transparency in the game following the introduction of Uefa’s financial fair play regulations, Macquarie estimates that it has completed more than $1.5bn in loans across Europe’s major leagues, specialising in “transfer financing” and “media and sponsorship rights monetisation”.Continue reading...
- Sat, 08 Feb 2020 17:30:18 +0000: Tom Lawrence completes fightback for upwardly mobile Derby against Swansea - Swansea City | The Guardian
Things seem to be clicking for Derby County at just the right time. Phillip Cocu’s side continue to creep up the Championship table after Tom Lawrence lashed home the winning goal in a topsy-turvy game to earn their first away league win since the opening day.
This season has been a slow-burner for Derby but, after a victory at Swansea in which they fought back from 2-1 down, they are poised for a late play-off push. As Cocu acknowledged, it is no coincidence that their upturn in fortunes corresponds with Wayne Rooney’s arrival last month, having won six of their nine matches since the former England striker pulled on a Derby shirt for the first timeContinue reading...
- Thu, 30 Jan 2020 10:20:52 +0000: Swansea’s Conor Gallagher: ‘Heart surgery made me not take anything for granted’ - Swansea City | The Guardian
The 19-year-old, on loan from Chelsea, discusses Frank Lampard, his future at Stamford Bridge and his brothers’ support
End-of-season awards can be deemed trivial but, at Chelsea, the academy player of the year accolade carries considerable weight. Just ask Conor Gallagher, the latest recipient of that prize. “The previous three winners all play for the first team now, so there’s a bit of pressure,” the 19-year-old says, his smile broadening, referring to Reece James, Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori, fixtures of Frank Lampard’s squad after spending last season on loan in the Championship. “I was buzzing when I heard I had won, knowing the players that have won it and what they have gone on to do.”
For Gallagher, who joined Swansea on loan a fortnight ago having shone at Charlton in the first half of the season, that award was a welcome addition to an already handsome silverware collection. Three years ago Gallagher won the Under-17 World Cup with England under the now Swansea head coach, Steve Cooper and, last season, the teenager picked up a Europa League winner’s medal, having been an unused substitute as Chelsea beat Arsenal in Baku. “They are in a drawer at home,” he says. “They’re safe, don’t worry about that. I’ve got all the ones from Chelsea Under-18s as well. My World Cup shirt is framed, which is always nice to see because it always brings back good memories. It’s where everyone can see it when they walk in the house.”Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Jan 2020 19:04:06 +0000: Football League: Ipswich top League One while Peterborough fan officiates - Swansea City | The Guardian
- Linesman injury means supporter becomes fourth official
- Stoke dent Swansea’s Championship play-off push
Stoke pulled away from the relegation places as Sam Clucas scored against his former club en route to a 2-0 win over Swansea. Clucas powered home 10 minutes into the second half before James McLean sealed the points when he took advantage of some poor defending. Defeat for the visitors saw them miss a chance to rise into the play-off spots.
Stoke 2-0 Swansea
The fact I couldn't walk over a small wall probably was why they didn't trust me in the end. https://t.co/hPcdLcKtXg
Bristol Rovers 0-0 Fleetwood, Burton 1-1 Accrington, Ipswich 1-0 Lincoln City, Peterborough 2-1 Rotherham, Rochdale 2-2 Gillingham
Carlisle 2-1 Walsall, Crawley 3-2 Grimsby, Exeter 0-0 Colchester, Leyton Orient 2-1 Newport, Macclesfield 2-1 Forest Green, Mansfield 3-0 Bradford, Morecambe 1-1 Cambridge, Salford 1-1 Oldham, Scunthorpe 2-2 Crewe, Stevenage 1-2 Plymouth, Swindon 3-0 Port ValeContinue reading...
The Swansea Football Club News Archives are as follows:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:13:54 +0000: Britton signs improved Swansea contract - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Midfielder Leon Britton signs an improved one-year deal with Swansea City, with an option for another year.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:43:20 +0000: Swansea striker Gomis joins Galatasaray - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Turkish side Galatasaray sign striker Bafetimbi Gomis from Swansea City for an undisclosed fee.
- Tue, 27 Jun 2017 14:59:28 +0000: Swansea close in on £10m midfielder Mesa - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City are in advanced talks to sign Spanish defensive midfielder Roque Mesa for more than £10m from Las Palmas.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:46:11 +0000: Swans to sign Chelsea's Abraham on loan - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City are to sign striker Tammy Abraham on a season-long loan from Chelsea.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:01:12 +0000: Swans at Southampton for season opener - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City's 2017-18 Premier League campaign starts at Southampton on Saturday, 12 August.