Swansea City Latest News
- Sat, 31 Aug 2019 18:10:00 +0000: Wayne Routledge secures win for Swansea to displace Leeds at the top - Swansea City | The Guardian
To put this result into context, Swansea City’s only previous win in 20 attempts here was back in September 1949. History, however, belongs to the past and Steve Cooper, who took over as manager in the summer, is working to his own script. It is proving to be quite a story, too, with this dramatic late victory ending Leeds’s unbeaten record and taking Swansea above them and to the top of the Championship table.
The evergreen Wayne Routledge delivered the killer blow, if it can be called a blow. The ball seemed to creep into the far corner of the net in slow motion, with the substitute’s scuffed shot from about 10 yards sending 1,500 Swansea supporters into delirium and sucking the life out of the rest of the stadium.Continue reading...
- Wed, 28 Aug 2019 09:00:38 +0000: Borja Bastón: how Swansea striker went from misfit to undroppable force | Ben Fisher - Swansea City | The Guardian
Record £15.5m signing has fired Swansea to second in the Championship after going 1,022 days without a goal for the club
Thirty-eight days ago Borja Bastón replaced Oli McBurnie in the final throes of Swansea’s third pre-season friendly. It was there at St James Park in Exeter where the Spaniard’s improbable resurrection began in earnest, with his return to the first-team fold after an 805-day hiatus paving the way for an extraordinary rebirth that has led to the striker firing Swansea to second in the Championship and topping the goalscoring charts, with five goals in five games. In weeks Borja has gone from a lesser-spotted misfit to something of an undroppable force.
A £15.5m club-record signing three years ago, Borja proved a poster boy for the wrong reasons, a footnote of Swansea’s sorry decline after one goal from 20 top-flight matches en route to relegation. When Borja struck on the opening day this season, it was his first Swansea goal for 1,022 days, only his fifth league start and his first 90 minutes for the club since November 2016, when Bob Bradley was in charge.Continue reading...
- Sat, 17 Aug 2019 17:50:00 +0000: Swansea flying high after Borja Bastón double takes them past Preston - Swansea City | The Guardian
Steve Cooper, the Swansea manager, said Borja Bastón was revelling in the role of leading the line after his two goals secured their win over Preston. The £15m Spanish striker went 1,022 days without a Swansea goal before this season but now has three goals in three league games.
It was his equaliser on the stroke of half-time that gave the hosts a lifeline after Joe Rafferty’s early strike put a dominant Preston side ahead after 11 minutes. George Byers came on at the break and side-footed the ball home to put the hosts in front but Daniel Johnson levelled from the spot three minutes later after Connor Roberts fouled Sean Maguire.Continue reading...
- Wed, 31 Jul 2019 10:00:40 +0000: Championship 2019-20 season preview - Swansea City | The Guardian
Fulham could bounce straight back with their four-man attack while Leeds are sure to be in the promotion mix and Neil Warnock’s Cardiff are not to be ignored
There may not be an overwhelming favourite for automatic promotion but certain teams appear streets ahead in the firepower stakes. None more so than Fulham, who will likely start with an attacking diamond of Aleksandar Mitrovic, a Premier League striker in all but name, Anthony Knockaert, Ivan Cavaleiro and Tom Cairney, a player capable of running games in this division. Fulham deservedly took flak for their lavish and directionless spending last summer but it is impossible to ignore their latest business. They were, though, a soft touch in defence last season, so Scott Parker still has plenty to address, and the expectation will prove a test of his credentials.Continue reading...
- Wed, 31 Jul 2019 09:04:53 +0000: Sheffield United agree £20m Oli McBurnie deal with Swansea - Swansea City | The Guardian
- Striker in line to become club’s fourth record signing of summer
- Swansea agree to buy Kristoffer Peterson from Heracles for £1m
Sheffield United have agreed a club-record £20m deal to sign the Swansea City striker Oli McBurnie. After weeks of talks Chris Wilder’s side have made a breakthrough with an offer of around £18m up front, with £2m in add-ons, smashing the club’s transfer record for a fourth time this summer following the arrivals of Lys Mousset, Callum Robinson and Luke Freeman.Continue reading...
The Swansea Football Club News Archives are as follows:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:13:54 +0000: Britton signs improved Swansea contract - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Midfielder Leon Britton signs an improved one-year deal with Swansea City, with an option for another year.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:43:20 +0000: Swansea striker Gomis joins Galatasaray - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Turkish side Galatasaray sign striker Bafetimbi Gomis from Swansea City for an undisclosed fee.
- Tue, 27 Jun 2017 14:59:28 +0000: Swansea close in on £10m midfielder Mesa - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City are in advanced talks to sign Spanish defensive midfielder Roque Mesa for more than £10m from Las Palmas.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:46:11 +0000: Swans to sign Chelsea's Abraham on loan - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City are to sign striker Tammy Abraham on a season-long loan from Chelsea.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:01:12 +0000: Swans at Southampton for season opener - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City's 2017-18 Premier League campaign starts at Southampton on Saturday, 12 August.