Swansea City Latest News for 2017 – 2018
- Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:11:34 +0000: The best young players in the Championship this season - Swansea City | The Guardian
Tammy Abraham turned down a move to the Premier League this week. He is not the only youngster who could step up
Tammy Abraham has already been offered a chance to play in the Premier League in this transfer window. He rejected a loan move to Wolves earlier this week in favour of staying with Aston Villa to help with their push for promotion. Not every player would turn down a Premier League club but his decision may prove wise. There’s little doubt the 21-year-old striker will be a Premier League player next season, wherever that may be, so his choice to stick with a side and system that play to his strengths is admirable. Abraham, who has two England caps, is the joint top scorer in the Championship this season with 16 goals in 20 appearances – and 12 of those goals have come in his last 10 games. Rating: 7.40Continue reading...
- Sat, 22 Dec 2018 09:00:23 +0000: Hiddink, Di Matteo and … Kinnear: interim managers who made a mark | Ed Aarons - Swansea City | The Guardian
Caretaker manager became too old-fashioned a concept for the Premier League so in came a new kind of stopgap: the interim
Whatever happened to the caretakers? While Manchester United appeared to break new ground by securing Ole Gunnar Solskjær on loan from Molde until the end of the season, the Norwegian’s announcement as the club’s interim manager was more in keeping with the modern trend.
While Blackburn’s perennial safe pair of hands Tony Parkes and Stuart Gray, who took the temporary reins at six clubs (Aston Villa, Wolves, Burnley, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham), had to make do with the caretaker role in the 90s and 00s, it has become increasingly common for clubs to opt for a longer short-term appointment to varying degrees of success.Continue reading...
- Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:07:06 +0000: Championship roundup: West Brom come from behind to beat Swansea - Swansea City | The Guardian
• Dawson’s and Hegazi’s set-piece goals send West Brom fourth
• Derby midfielder Johnson accused over incident with Allen
West Brom continued their upturn with a 2-1 win at Swansea that took them to fourth place in the Championship. Central defenders Craig Dawson and Ahmed Hegazi punished slack Swansea set-piece marking to hand the visitors their third consecutive victory.
Oli McBurnie’s early effort gave Swansea the lead but West Brom were ahead by half-time and Darren Moore’s side saw out the game in comfortable fashion.Continue reading...
- Sat, 24 Nov 2018 19:50:00 +0000: Swansea exposed after Emiliano Buendía sparks Norwich romp - Swansea City | The Guardian
Norwich extended their winning streak to six matches as Daniel Farke’s free-scoring side cemented their hold on the Championship summit after strolling to victory at Swansea.
It was an imperious performance and another attacking masterclass with Norwich flaunting their firepower by running in four goals for a third consecutive game. Three goals in a 21-minute burst overwhelmed Swansea before Daniel James pulled a goal back but Teemu Pukki scored his 10th of the season after the break to put the gloss on a superb display and curb optimism in south Wales.Continue reading...
- Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:32:06 +0000: Big shocks, big scores and big shirt numbers in the Checkatrade Trophy - Swansea City | The Guardian
Pitting top academy sides against Football League clubs was controversial but it gives young players invaluable experience
Few will remember it by its original title, the Associate Members Cup. Many will be familiar with its official name: the EFL Trophy. But for those of us who have seen a Leyland DAF Trophy semi-final at Tranmere, an Autoglass Trophy preliminary round group game at Rochdale, Auto Windscreens Shield ties at Millwall, and Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at Morecambe, the current Checkatrade Trophy is rather surreal.
Results so far this season include: Yeovil Town 4-0 West Ham, Newport County 3-0 Chelsea, and Cheltenham Town 6-2 Arsenal. Yes, these were the young reserve teams of the high and mighty, but just revel in the bizarreness for a moment.Continue reading...
The Swansea Football Club News Archives are as follows:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:13:54 +0000: Britton signs improved Swansea contract - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Midfielder Leon Britton signs an improved one-year deal with Swansea City, with an option for another year.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:43:20 +0000: Swansea striker Gomis joins Galatasaray - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Turkish side Galatasaray sign striker Bafetimbi Gomis from Swansea City for an undisclosed fee.
- Tue, 27 Jun 2017 14:59:28 +0000: Swansea close in on £10m midfielder Mesa - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City are in advanced talks to sign Spanish defensive midfielder Roque Mesa for more than £10m from Las Palmas.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:46:11 +0000: Swans to sign Chelsea's Abraham on loan - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City are to sign striker Tammy Abraham on a season-long loan from Chelsea.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:01:12 +0000: Swans at Southampton for season opener - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC
Swansea City's 2017-18 Premier League campaign starts at Southampton on Saturday, 12 August.