Sunderland Latest Football Team News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:37:32 +0000: Sunderland sack Papy Djilobodji for alleged breaches of contract - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Defender said by Sunderland to have returned late to training
• Player then ‘comprehensively failed fitness test’, club say
Sunderland have terminated Papy Djilobodji’s contract after the League One Club said the Senegal centre-half waited until this month before reporting back for “pre-season” training and then failed a fitness test.
By sacking the 29-year-old former Chelsea defender, who cost £8m two years ago, Sunderland will be unable to recoup a transfer fee but Stewart Donald, the chairman, has said he is taking legal advice about the possibility of the club potentially suing Djilobodji and Didier Ndong on the alleged grounds of “deliberately devaluing themselves”. It is understood the decision to tear up the former’s contract does not preclude the possibility of such a move.Continue reading...
- Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:09:32 +0000: Sunderland ponder suing stayaway duo Didier Ndong and Papy Djilobodji - Sunderland | The Guardian
• £13.6m Didier Ndong still to show his face on Wearside
• ‘I would probably have beaten Djilobodji’s stats,’ adds chairman
Sunderland’s chairman, Stewart Donald, has said the club’s record £13.6m signing Didier Ndong remains awol and revealed lawyers are examining whether it is possible to sue Ndong and his teammate Papy Djilobodji for allegedly deliberately devaluing themselves.
Djilobodji, an £8m former Chelsea centre-half, had permission to miss pre-season training in July but the 29-year-old failed to clock in last month and returned only last week, when tests indicated his fitness levels were significantly sub-standard.Continue reading...
- Sat, 08 Sep 2018 16:38:35 +0000: Sunderland’s Josh Maja rescues point against Joey Barton’s Fleetwood - Sunderland | The Guardian
Joey Barton had issued Newcastle fans with an open invitation to come and cheer his new team on but although 29,367 people turned up, the vast majority booed Fleetwood Town’s manager to the rafters.
Sunderland supporters have never been exactly mad about the former Newcastle midfielder and Barton’s pre-match suggestion that Fleetwood were better in every position only intensified the hostility.Continue reading...
- Thu, 16 Aug 2018 22:19:00 +0000: Carabao Cup second-round draw: Joey Barton’s Fleetwood to visit Leicester - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Brighton host Southampton in the only all-Premier League tie
• Nottingham Forest v Newcastle, AFC Wimbledon v West Ham
Joey Barton will take Fleetwood to Leicester City in a mouthwatering Carabao Cup second-round tie for his League One side.
The former Manchester City and Newcastle midfielder will pit his wits against Claude Puel at the King Power Stadium after Fleetwood were drawn against the Premier League side on Thursday.
Southern sectionContinue reading...
Brighton v Southampton
QPR v Bristol Rovers
AFC Wimbledon v West Ham
Fulham v Exeter
Wycombe v Forest Green
Cardiff v Norwich
Millwall v Plymouth
Brentford v Cheltenham
Swansea v Crystal Palace
Newport v Oxford
Bournemouth v MK Dons
Reading v Watford
- Tue, 14 Aug 2018 15:51:42 +0000: Bordeaux in talks to land Sunderland’s Lee Cattermole on a loan deal - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Midfielder keen to join Gus Poyet but wage is a problem
• Club also keen to offload Didier N’Dong and Papy Djilobodji
Lee Cattermole could swap League One for Ligue One and become a Bordeaux midfielder before the end of the month as Sunderland attempt to reduce their wage bill by loaning out three high-earners.
With Bordeaux managed by Gus Poyet, who brought the best out in Cattermole during a stint in charge on Wearside, the move appeals to the 30-year-old and the clubs are discussing a compromise over remuneration.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.