Sunderland Latest Football Team News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Mon, 08 Oct 2018 21:30:16 +0000: Jordan Pickford takes positives from England’s World Cup frustration - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Everton goalkeeper cites previous toils of France and Germany
• ‘Disappointment can spur you on and so can a bit of success’
Jordan Pickford admits his life has changed since reaching a World Cup semi-final with England in the summer, but only for the better. “The first thing I noticed was my followers on social media went through the roof, which I was very happy about,” the Everton goalkeeper says. “The other thing is that you get a lot more people recognising you in the street, but mostly they just want to say hello and well done, so I don’t mind that. It’s quite touching really.”
The former Sunderland player has established himself as England’s No 1 at the unusually young age of 24 and a relatively early stage of his career. “I was always taught that if you see a chance you should take it. Sometimes you only get one shot in life as a footballer. Mark Prudhoe, my old goalkeeping coach at Sunderland academy, always used to tell me to grab every chance that came my way and things haven’t worked out too badly.Continue reading...
- Fri, 05 Oct 2018 11:00:09 +0000: Sunderland’s Jack Ross: ‘I’ll never regret accepting this job, whatever happens’ - Sunderland | The Guardian
The manager and children’s author discusses the challenges at Sunderland, how his MA in economics helps him and why he hopes the goats – as well as the goals – keep coming
The question was clever and testing but Jack Ross’s answer proved unequivocal. “Do you love football or are you actually in love with it?” asked a fellow executive at the Professional Footballers’ Association in Scotland.
Ross’s response changed his life and, four years on, has led him to a spacious, fairly minimalist office offering magnificent views over the pristine pitches of Sunderland’s training ground.Continue reading...
- Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:29:45 +0000: Sunderland sack Didier Ndong, saying he breached contract by going awol - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Club say he gave no reason for ‘failure to report and absence’
• Sunderland want compensation if record signing joins new club
Sunderland have served Didier Ndong notice that they intend to terminate his contract, saying their record signing went awol in the wake of relegation to League One.
The club have also indicated their readiness to take legal action to recoup the Gabon midfielder’s value should he join another club.Continue reading...
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:37:32 +0000: Sunderland sack Papy Djilobodji for alleged breaches of contract - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Defender said by Sunderland to have returned late to training
• Player then ‘comprehensively failed fitness test’, club say
Sunderland have terminated Papy Djilobodji’s contract after the League One Club said the Senegal centre-half waited until this month before reporting back for “pre-season” training and then failed a fitness test.
By sacking the 29-year-old former Chelsea defender, who cost £8m two years ago, Sunderland will be unable to recoup a transfer fee but Stewart Donald, the chairman, has said he is taking legal advice about the possibility of the club potentially suing Djilobodji and Didier Ndong on the alleged grounds of “deliberately devaluing themselves”. It is understood the decision to tear up the former’s contract does not preclude the possibility of such a move.Continue reading...
- Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:09:32 +0000: Sunderland ponder suing stayaway duo Didier Ndong and Papy Djilobodji - Sunderland | The Guardian
• £13.6m Didier Ndong still to show his face on Wearside
• ‘I would probably have beaten Djilobodji’s stats,’ adds chairman
Sunderland’s chairman, Stewart Donald, has said the club’s record £13.6m signing Didier Ndong remains awol and revealed lawyers are examining whether it is possible to sue Ndong and his teammate Papy Djilobodji for allegedly deliberately devaluing themselves.
Djilobodji, an £8m former Chelsea centre-half, had permission to miss pre-season training in July but the 29-year-old failed to clock in last month and returned only last week, when tests indicated his fitness levels were significantly sub-standard.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.