Sunderland Latest Football Team News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Sun, 19 Nov 2017 15:23:11 +0000: Sunderland confirm Chris Coleman's appointment as new manager - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Coleman confirmed in post on Sunday
• Sunderland are bottom of the Championship
Chris Coleman has been confirmed as the new Sunderland manager. The 47-year-old has signed a two-and-a-half year deal to become Simon Grayson’s successor in what is a major boost for Sunderland and a huge blow for the Football Association of Wales, which had hoped to persuade Coleman to sign a new contract.
The FAW held a board meeting on Friday to discuss his position, with both parties previously involved in lengthy talks about extending the deal that was due to expire at the end of this month, but Coleman has decided the time is right to return to club management and has agreed to take the plunge with Sunderland.Continue reading...
- Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:14:33 +0000: Sunderland serve a dark reminder to Chris Coleman of a Light dimmed - Sunderland | The Guardian
Club’s ninth manager in six years has an in-tray stacked with woe after a record failure to win at home underlines his task
As Chris Coleman packed a suitcase and prepared to become Sunderland’s ninth manager in six years, his new players issued a reminder of the grisly challenge facing the former Wales coach.
Perhaps mercifully, Coleman – who will be formally “unveiled” on Monday and take charge of team affairs at Aston Villa on Tuesday – did not arrive on Wearside in time to see the club set a thoroughly unwanted record.Continue reading...
- Thu, 16 Nov 2017 15:48:17 +0000: Sunderland keen to land Chris Coleman after Michael O’Neill rejection - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Odds on Wales manager switching to Sunderland slashed
• Coleman could use situation to strengthen position with Wales
Chris Coleman is the latest international manager interesting Sunderland after Michael O’Neill rejected their advances. As Coleman’s time with Wales approaches a critical juncture, the odds on him taking over the Championship’s bottom club were slashed on Thursday.
Yet although Sunderland would be delighted to welcome him as Simon Grayson’s successor, and some substantial bets have been placed on the former Fulham manager relocating to Wearside, there is the possibility Coleman could use the situation to strengthen his position with Wales.Continue reading...
- Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:40:00 +0000: Scotland and Sunderland set to vie for Northern Ireland’s Michael O’Neill - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Scottish FA requests talks but Championship side also keen
• USA also understood to have interest in 48-year-old manager
The Scottish Football Association has requested talks with Michael O’Neill and Sunderland are also interested. It remains a long shot for now that the man who oversaw Northern Ireland’s run to Euro 2016 and a World Cup play-off would take the job at the Stadium of Light.
The USA are also understood to want to speak to O’Neill about taking charge of their international side – a highly lucrative post. O’Neill’s brother is based in Chicago.Continue reading...
- Sun, 12 Nov 2017 23:24:02 +0000: West Ham’s David Moyes appoints Alan Irvine and Stuart Pearce as assistants - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Moyes boss brings back former assistant Irvine and ex-West Ham player Pearce
• Sunderland coach Billy McKinlay set to follow “in the coming days”
West Ham manager David Moyes has filled out his backroom staff by appointing Alan Irvine and Stuart Pearce as assistants, with Sunderland coach Billy McKinlay set to follow in the coming days.
Moyes was confirmed as the Hammers manager last week after Slaven Bilic was sacked, despite significant adverse reaction from the club’s supporters. Now he has brought in two men he has worked with before, while Pearce returns to the club he made 50 appearances for between 1999 and 2001.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.