Sunderland Latest Football Team News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Fri, 13 Jul 2018 15:31:04 +0000: Thank you for the Mackem memories | Brief letters - Sunderland | The Guardian
Sunderland fans | Sharing ice-cream with dogs | The ‘threat’ of rain | Grey ‘Gordon Bennett’ | Gladioli in the dress circle
For part of my childhood in the 1950s we lived at Roker in Sunderland (J-force give Sunderland followers some respite, 12 July). Some of the Sunderland team had digs in our street and kicked a ball with us in the evening. I still have Billy Bingham’s autograph and have loved football ever since. Thank you, Louise Taylor, for the memories and hope.
Seer Green, Buckinghamshire
• My Dad used to break the bottom off his cone, scoop up some ice-cream, and feed it to the grateful dog (Is it OK to share ice-cream with a dog?, G2, 11 July). He was a fox terrier who ran around too much to become obese, and I don’t think he would have appreciated frozen yoghurt.Continue reading...
- Thu, 12 Jul 2018 07:00:35 +0000: England’s J-Force give Sunderland fans brief respite from gloom - Sunderland | The Guardian
England’s early goal in the World Cup semi-final against Croatia was a shot in the arm for admirers of north-east boys Jordan Henderson and Jordan Pickford
Tina Carney kept scrolling through the phone and, eventually, located it. “Here he is, doesn’t he look young,” exclaimed the lifelong Sunderland supporter, as she showed off a screen suddenly dominated by a photograph of a beaming Jordan Pickford standing alongside her. “It was only taken last year but he’s filled out a bit since then. He’s such a lovely lad.”
Carney and her husband Peter were watching the game in a hotel bar in which the view from almost every window is blocked by the imposing bulk of the Stadium of Light and its vertiginous stands.Continue reading...
- Sun, 10 Jun 2018 14:27:05 +0000: Chris Coleman appointed manager of Chinese club Hebei China Fortune - Sunderland | The Guardian
- Coleman left Sunderland at the end of the season
- The Welshman replaces Manuel Pellegrini at Hebei
Former Wales and Sunderland manager Chris Coleman is the new manager of Chinese Super League side Hebei China Fortune, according to the club’s Weibo page. Coleman replaces Manuel Pellegrini as the club’s manager after the Chilean left to take charge at West Ham last month.Continue reading...
- Tue, 29 May 2018 13:49:46 +0000: Sunderland’s new owner likely to appeal against demotion of women’s team - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Stewart Donald likely to go to arbitration by 11 June
• Women’s side face starting next season in third tier
Sunderland’s new owner, Stewart Donald, has voiced concern for the fate of his club’s women’s team and indicated that Melanie Copeland and her players may no longer be regarded as an unwanted drain on resources.
On Monday Sunderland Ladies became the biggest losers in the Football Association’s restructure of the English women’s leagues when they lost top-flight status, were refused a second-tier slot, and found themselves left hoping to be accommodated on the third rung of the domestic pyramid.Continue reading...
- Fri, 25 May 2018 12:53:34 +0000: Jack Ross appointed Sunderland manager on two-year deal - Sunderland | The Guardian
• 41-year-old joins club after guiding St Mirren to promotion
• ‘To help realise [club’s] potential fills me with excitement’
Jack Ross has been appointed Sunderland’s new manager on a two-year deal. The 41-year-old who guided St Mirren to promotion was named the PFA Scotland manager of the year last season and will be joined at the Stadium of Light by assistant manager James Fowler.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.