Sunderland Latest Football Team News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:02:54 +0000: Sunderland suspend midfielder Darron Gibson following drink-drive charge - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Gibson was arrested after several vehicles were damaged
• The club have launched an investigation into the incident
Sunderland have suspended Darron Gibson with immediate effect after he was charged with drink driving.
The club announced they have launched an investigation into an incident in which the 30-year-old Republic of Ireland midfielder was allegedly involved on Saturday.Continue reading...
- Tue, 06 Mar 2018 21:53:52 +0000: Aston Villa’s Grabban and Chester pile more misery on Sunderland - Sunderland | The Guardian
Kasabian’s version of The Sweet Escape was played on the sound system before kick-off but, long before the end, Sunderland fans had resorted to a rather more familiar refrain.
As the ground echoed to chants of “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” Chris Coleman’s side stayed firmly rooted to the bottom of the Championship. They were beaten easily by an upwardly mobile Aston Villa who, inspired by Robert Snodgrass’s creative class, remain third.Continue reading...
- Fri, 02 Mar 2018 14:56:37 +0000: Sunderland offer homeless people shelter from freeze in ‘warm room’ - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Club offers hot food and places to sleep at Stadium of Light
• North-east hit hard by UK’s brutal weather
Sunderland turned a usually quiet corner of the Stadium of Light into a temporary shelter for homeless people on Friday.
Acutely conscious that the north-east remains one of the areas worst affected by the extreme weather, club staff have created a special “warm room” in the ground’s south-west corner. It can accommodate up to 12 people and is open to all.Continue reading...
- Sat, 24 Feb 2018 17:29:29 +0000: Sunderland snatch draw against Middlesbrough at end of wild derby - Sunderland | The Guardian
An arctic afternoon featuring two brilliant goals from Patrick Bamford, two straight red cards and a flock of seagulls persistently swooping low across the pitch concluded with Callum McManaman volleying a dramatic late equaliser for Sunderland.
Bamford’s class in Tony Pulis’s frontline seemed to have settled things in Middlesbrough’s favour when McManaman dented Teesside play-off hopes by earning Chris Coleman’s side a potentially vital point in their relegation fight. The winger celebrated by pointedly racing towards Pulis and provocatively mock-saluting Boro’s manager.Continue reading...
- Thu, 22 Feb 2018 13:00:24 +0000: Stadium of plight: Sunderland at risk of their most shattering relegation | Louise Taylor - Sunderland | The Guardian
Chris Coleman spoke of rebuilding Sunderland but, with the club bottom of the Championship, an owner unable to sell and poor player recruitment, the manger now seems less certain
When Chris Coleman walks in, one question invariably seems to echo around the room. “Why?” the former Wales manager is asked. “Why Sunderland?” The moment at a Christmas drinks party when someone put it rather more bluntly and inquired what the hell he was doing there was not an isolated cameo.
Coleman typically responds with grace and humour but, just lately, his talk of “sleepless nights” and “soul destroying afternoons” in the technical area, allied to the sense he is “in the middle of a tornado” and “staring into an abyss”, reflects inner doubts.
Sunderland have arguably the best stadium in this division, certainly the biggest, but that’s no advantage because our players can’t play in it. They aren’t handling the pressure. They’ve been abysmalContinue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.