Sunderland Latest Football Team News
- Mon, 22 Feb 2021 08:00:24 +0000: Sign of the times: why English clubs are turning to high-interest US loans | David Conn - Sunderland | The Guardian
Southampton and Derby are among clubs whose stadiums are mortgaged to MSD Capital in search for much-needed funds
The new-year sale of Burnley to US investors after 139 years of local Lancashire ownership marked a sign of the times for football as Turf Moor, one of the 12 original Football League grounds, was mortgaged to the American private investment firm MSD Capital.
Three more clubs – Southampton, Derby and Sunderland – had taken out multimillion-pound loans from MSD or MSD’s senior partners, and their stadiums, somewhat newer than Turf Moor, were also mortgaged. Of these four clubs, only Southampton have publicly declared the cost of borrowing from MSD, paying 9.14% interest on a £78.8m loan taken out during the pandemic last June: £7.2m interest a year.Continue reading...
- Sat, 20 Feb 2021 08:00:26 +0000: Meet Kyril Louis-Dreyfus, 23 – English football's youngest chairman - Sunderland | The Guardian
Heir to Swiss commodity trading empire takes helm at Sunderland pledging to match the fans’ passion
Meet Kyril Louis-Dreyfus. The 23-year-old heir to a Swiss commodities fortune has bought a majority stake in Sunderland AFC and installed himself as the youngest chair in English football.
Louis-Dreyfus, whose family owns the Louis Dreyfus Group trading empire, has been interested in football since going to Olympique de Marseille (OM) games with his late father, Robert Louis-Dreyfus, who owned the French club until his death in 2009.Continue reading...
- Thu, 18 Feb 2021 18:42:22 +0000: EFL confirms takeover of Sunderland by 23-year-old Frenchman Louis-Dreyfus - Sunderland | The Guardian
- Louis-Dreyfus is the son of the late Marseille owner Robert
- New owner says he is proud but recognises responsibility
Kyril Louis-Dreyfus has become the youngest chairman in English football after his protracted takeover of Sunderland was finally approved by the English Football League on Thursday.Continue reading...
- Sun, 27 Dec 2020 12:38:41 +0000: Sunderland postpone further match due to continuing Covid-19 outbreak - Sunderland | The Guardian
- Tuesday’s game with Accrington called off after more cases
- Club have already postponed three matches in December
Sunderland have informed the EFL that they have postponed their League One match at Accrington on Tuesday because of the continuing coronavirus outbreak at the Wearside club.
The news comes after the Black Cats’ past three matches – against Shrewsbury, Blackpool and Hull – were called off following a number of positive cases in their camp.Continue reading...
- Thu, 24 Dec 2020 16:25:06 +0000: Sunderland confirm agreement reached with Kyril Louis-Dreyfus for takeover - Sunderland | The Guardian
- Frenchman set to acquire Stewart Donald’s controlling interest
- Louis-Dreyfus will become chairman pending EFL approval
Sunderland have announced that an agreement has been reached with a prospective new owner, Kyril Louis-Dreyfus, the son of the former Marseille owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus, and is set to acquire Stewart Donald’s controlling interest in the club.
Donald accepted an offer from the 22-year-old Frenchman in November but the deal has taken six weeks to complete and is still pending approval from the EFL. If that is granted, Louis-Dreyfus will become chairman and majority shareholder of the League One club.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Tue, 02 Mar 2021 16:55:39 +0000: Sunderland v Swindon Town - BBC Sport
Live coverage of Tuesday's League One game between Sunderland and Swindon Town (19:00 GMT).
- Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:02:30 +0000: Crewe Alexandra 2-2 Sunderland - BBC Sport
Substitute Chris Maguire rescues a point for Sunderland with a stunning stoppage-time finish as the Black Cats come from two goals down to draw at Crewe.
- Tue, 23 Feb 2021 22:11:36 +0000: Sunderland 2-0 Fleetwood Town - BBC Sport
Sunderland move fifth after claiming a third straight League One win for the first time this season with victory over Fleetwood.
- Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:50:56 +0000: Burton Albion 0-3 Sunderland - BBC Sport
Sunderland move back into the play-off places with a crushing 3-0 win over 10-man Burton.
- Fri, 19 Feb 2021 09:03:13 +0000: Jim Rodwell: Sunderland chief executive steps down following takeover - BBC Sport
Sunderland chief executive Jim Rodwell steps down from his position after the club is taken over by Kyril Louis-Dreyfus.