Sunderland Latest Football Team News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:28:17 +0000: Cardiff run riot as they return to winning ways against 10-man Sunderland - Sunderland | The Guardian
Cardiff City got their promotion push firmly back on track after clinching a first win in five matches by comfortably dispatching 10-man Sunderland on home turf, courtesy of a second-half double from Callum Paterson and a sweet Joe Ralls strike before Anthony Pilkington completed the rout in stoppage time.
For Chris Coleman, it was a miserable return to Wales. Coleman enjoyed plenty of special moments at the Cardiff City Stadium during a six-year reign as Wales manager which ended when he took over Sunderland in November.Continue reading...
- Mon, 08 Jan 2018 17:14:35 +0000: The Dozen: the weekend's best FA Cup photos - Sunderland | The Guardian
Your weekend roundup of the best photography from Saturday and Sunday’s FA Cup third round matchesContinue reading...
- Mon, 08 Jan 2018 09:19:49 +0000: FA Cup: talking points from the action in the third round - Sunderland | The Guardian
Mark Robins’ eye-catching Coventry deserve their headlines, Liverpool have a bargain in Andrew Robertson and Wolves are already good enough for top flight
Amid all the hoopla over the departing Mark Hughes, it is right to take a moment to praise Coventry City. They were deserved winners of the third-round tie at the Ricoh Arena, despite giving up the greater number of chances to the visitors. The Sky Blues played with a determination and energy you might expect of a team assuming the David role in a Goliath encounter. But they were also calm on the ball and often quite cute on it, too. Their play was all the more striking, given the starting XI had an average age of 24 (and that is including the 36‑year‑old midfield warhorse Michael Doyle). Especially eye-catching were the rangy 18‑year‑old midfielder Tom Bayliss and the full-back Jack Grimmer, whose sweetly hit 25-yard strike decided the game. With a combination of youth-team graduates and free transfer signings, Mark Robins has built a side with a sense of promise about them and some of that was translated on Saturday. Paul MacInnesContinue reading...
- Sat, 06 Jan 2018 15:03:59 +0000: Middlesbrough’s Rudy Gestede kickstarts FA Cup stroll past Sunderland - Sunderland | The Guardian
Middlesbrough are in the fourth round of the FA Cup and, unfortunately for those raised on FA Cup shock and awe, it was as straightforward as that. A goal after 10 minutes from Rudy Gestede, another after 42 minutes from Martin Braithwaite and Boro had justified their odds-on status without drama. Sunderland were the visitors.
The new Middlesbrough manager, Tony Pulis, had said he would name a strong team and he did. Other than Britt Assombalonga it was the same starting XI that faced Aston Villa here last Saturday and Assombalonga’s replacement, Adama Traoré, was as significant to the result as anyone.Continue reading...
- Tue, 02 Jan 2018 13:31:54 +0000: Can you teach the art of goalscoring? Kevin Phillips is trying at Derby County - Sunderland | The Guardian
The last Englishman to win the European Golden Shoe talks about how strikers have changed, Harry Kane’s improvement and his own managerial ambitions
There are no sure things in football but Kevin Phillips came pretty close to guaranteeing goals wherever he went, scoring 282 in his 20 years as a professional. Putting the ball in the net may look simple but even the finest strikers struggle to explain the art of goalscoring. It’s often spoken of in terms of instinct, a sixth sense for where the ball might land. Having spent his whole career scoring goals, Phillips is now trying to teach others how it’s done in his role as a first team coach at Derby County – although he admits there is no magic formula.
“I have many debates about whether you can coach instinct,” says Phillips. “I’m a big believer that you can get better at it but when you look at the strikers down the years in the Premier League – Owen, Fowler, Cole, Shearer – a lot of their goals were scored on instinct. People like Thierry Henry had the gift of picking the ball up deep and taking players on and scoring wonder goals, whereas those other players were in the right place at the right time. For me, that’s instinct.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.