Sunderland Latest Football Team News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:01:50 +0000: Jonny Williams: ‘People said it’s nice to see some honesty from a footballer’ - Sunderland | The Guardian
The midfielder on being in the Sunderland ’Til I Die documentary, starting afresh at Charlton and his desire to play for Wales again
“I didn’t get a dog. But I’m still thinking about it,” confides Jonny Williams. “I want a cute one that isn’t going to give me too many problems.”
It has been a fortnight since the Wales international and reluctant star of the Sunderland ’Til I Die documentary took the hardest decision of his career so far. After five loan spells that culminated in his ill-fated sojourn on Wearside, Williams finally left Crystal Palace for Charlton on a permanent deal.
I do need that confidence and I didn’t always have it at Palace because I was feeding off scraps and having to find it from within myselfContinue reading...
- Tue, 08 Jan 2019 22:04:08 +0000: Sunderland enjoy illusion of rivalry in 4-0 win over Newcastle Under-21s - Sunderland | The Guardian
Jack Ross had played down the sides’ Checkatrade Trophy meeting but nobody eased up in a 4-0 victory that was played amid a fiery atmosphere at the Stadium of Light
Jack Ross had said he was unwilling to “dress this game up as something it’s not” but neither set of supporters listened to Sunderland’s manager.
Deep down, almost everyone accepted it failed to constitute a “proper” north-east derby and compensated by simply pretending it was. Accordingly, within the first 11 minutes there were two earsplitting, giant, bangs made by firecrackers released in the away end and the scent of smoke filled the cool January night air.Continue reading...
- Tue, 08 Jan 2019 09:30:05 +0000: Sunderland meet Newcastle – but this is not the derby everyone wants | Louise Taylor - Sunderland | The Guardian
The Premier League side’s youngsters visit the Stadium of Light in the Checkatrade Trophy but Sunderland’s Jack Ross wants to face their north-east rivals in the Premier League
The big news on Wearside on Monday revolved around Peter Reid’s hair transplant and the former Sunderland manager’s denial that it was motivated by vanity.
Considering Reid’s old team are at home to Newcastle United on Tuesday the amount of coverage commanded by his follicular regrowth might have seemed a little out of proportion but then, as Jack Ross confirms, this derby is not the real thing.Continue reading...
- Fri, 04 Jan 2019 14:10:14 +0000: Josh Maja rejects Sunderland contract extension amid Premier League interest - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Striker has interest from Palace, Huddersfield and Man City
• Stewart Donald says he is determined to keep Maja
Josh Maja could leave Sunderland this month after rejecting the offer of a new contract, with the 20-year-old striker wanted by a host of Premier League clubs including Crystal Palace, Huddersfield and Manchester City.
Maja, who has scored 14 goals in League One this season from 23 appearances, is out of contract in the summer but is understood to have told Sunderland he is unwilling to sign a new long-term deal worth significantly more than his current salary. That has alerted the likes of Palace and Huddersfield, who are both desperate to recruit attacking options this month, while it is understood that clubs in Germany are also interested given that Maja is now free to agree personal terms with overseas clubs. City, where he spent time as a youth player, have asked to be kept informed over his situation.
@SunderlandAFC Josh Maja update. Yesterday Josh asked to see Jack to say he will sign. Today I got a call from Sky TV saying he won't sign. Josh advised his agent has said don't sign but no courtesy to tell the club - Also we offered what the agent indicated!!! Busy January aheadContinue reading...
- Sat, 15 Dec 2018 18:00:17 +0000: Jamie Lawrence: ‘One minute I’m in jail, the next on TV with Sunderland’ - Sunderland | The Guardian
The former Premier League winger is stepping back into jails to help prisoners and working with young players ‘to change their whole outlook on life’
For a man whose slogan is “Prison to Premiership” it was a tense moment for Jamie Lawrence to find himself outside Brixton prison on a crisp winter’s morning, preparing to go back inside. He was here as a teenager, PN 2991LAWRENCE. He trots out his prison number, thinks about the boy he was then, the circumstances that allowed crime to seem like the easier option. Now 48, he braced himself to step back into his former life hoping he might strike some kind of chord with the prisoners of today. Whatever talks and workshops are on offer to them, not many can look them in the eye and level with them in the way he can.
He half smiles as he explains that these days he gets cleared by security. “Normally I was going in the sweat box before I was going in,” he says wryly. “It was nice to go through the gate. I got introduced to the boys. I was nervous as hell. There were 12 prisoners in a little room. I started sharing my story, from being in prison to getting out and turning my life around and playing in the Premiership and for my country. We challenged them with a few things about what they are going to do on release. ‘How can you not reoffend?’ That is so, so important.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.