Sunderland Latest Football Team News
- Sat, 31 Aug 2019 10:00:43 +0000: Turning our clubs into global brands means there will be more Burys | Jonathan Wilson - Sunderland | The Guardian
The concentration of wealth and attention on a tiny number of globalised superclubs is leading to moments of remarkable drama and quality – but at a terrible price
A recent Set-Piece Menu podcast eloquently made the case for fandom as a broad church. When the Premier League is marketed so aggressively all over the world, when overseas television rights bring it so much revenue, when players and managers and owners are often foreign, they argued – quite reasonably – who is to deny the travelling supporter from Baltimore or Bangalore their seat in the stadium, the right to call themselves a fan? All of that made sense.
On an intellectual level I agreed with it. It fitted my general liberal, globalised worldview. And yet, I realised, viscerally I disagreed: of course, I paid lip service to all that but actually I regarded my form of fandom as being more authentic and more important.Continue reading...
- Sun, 25 Aug 2019 17:06:55 +0000: Sunderland Ladies given new hope in bid to return from football’s margins - Sunderland | The Guardian
Proposed takeover of Black Cats and the support this could bring Melanie Reay’s side means mood on Wearside is buoyant
On a sweltering July night in the middle of a French heatwave six graduates of Sunderland Ladies started England’s narrow Women’s World Cup semi-final defeat by the United States. The sight of Steph Houghton, Lucy Bronze, Jill Scott et al assuming centre-stage represented a bitter-sweet sight for many on Wearside where the club that has played such an integral part in the recently burgeoning growth of the women’s game seemed to have all but fallen off the edge of the footballing world.Continue reading...
- Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:48:36 +0000: Sunderland forced to pay Vélez Sarsfield £335,000 in Ricky Álvarez settlement - Sunderland | The Guardian
• Argentinian club say they have been paid after legal wrangle
• Player made 17 appearances after joining on loan from Inter
Sunderland have paid out more than £335,000 to Vélez Sarsfield to settle their claim over Ricky Álvarez following a lengthy legal wrangle, the Argentinian club have announced.Continue reading...
- Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:00:16 +0000: League One 2019-20 season preview - Sunderland | The Guardian
Sunderland, so near after going so far last season, are fancied again with Portsmouth while Peterborough and post-Oyston Blackpool could challenge for play-off spots
It was little solace to a sore Sunderland dressing room at Wembley in May when Jack Ross said play-off heartbreak would strengthen his team but now, 10 weeks on, is the time to prove the bruising was not lasting. They froze that day, being too predictable, sheepish and slovenly in possession. Ross’s side came away empty-handed after a 61-game campaign despite losing only five times in the regular season. Nineteen draws hamstrung their automatic promotion hopes but they look primed to challenge for a top-two finish this time and the biggest question marks surround Ross and not his squad.
Related: League Two 2019-20 season previewContinue reading...
- Wed, 29 May 2019 12:37:23 +0000: Who makes our Football League teams of the season for 2018-19? - Sunderland | The Guardian
We select an XI from the Championship and Leagues One and Two, plus a manager for each
Goalkeeper: Dean Henderson (Sheffield United) The Manchester United loanee is on Gareth Southgate’s radar after a league-high 21 clean sheets. Another outstanding season away from his parent club after shining at Shrewsbury.Continue reading...
The News Archives have been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:17:05 +0000: Sunderland's Borini set for AC Milan move - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland striker Fabio Borini is set to join Italian giants AC Milan, according to BBC Newcastle.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:30:52 +0000: Fans withdraw Sunderland takeover bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
A television production company fronted by Sunderland fans withdraws its bid to buy the club from American Ellis Short.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:21:59 +0000: Two make Sunderland takeover bids - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland owner Ellis Short is set to decide between two takeover bids for the Championship club.
- Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:44:11 +0000: Sunderland assistant Bracewell leaves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sunderland | BBC
Sunderland assistant manager Paul Bracewell leaves the club as they prepare for life in the Championship.