Stoke City Latest Football News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:29:12 +0000: Nathan Jones: ‘I can promise Stoke fans a team they can be proud of’ - Stoke City | The Guardian
The new Stoke manager has pledged to deliver ‘fast, attractive football’ after his surprise arrival from third-tier Luton Town
It was a legitimate question and one Stoke’s board must have considered before contacting Luton, yet the way Nathan Jones responded to the idea some people may be concerned about his lack of managerial experience at a higher level, including the players he has inherited who have spent the majority of their careers in the Premier League, said everything about the Welshman’s self-belief.
“Look, there is, I wouldn’t say a concern, but an eye on that, in terms of how you would deal with the more experienced players. But players will respond to the work that you do,” says Jones, who was appointed as Gary Rowett’s successor on Wednesday. “So I might have come from League One, I might now be a Championship manager, but I believe my work is top-end. If it’s top-end, then players will respond to it. That’s the only way I would like to gain their respect.Continue reading...
- Wed, 09 Jan 2019 10:39:25 +0000: Stoke appoint Nathan Jones as manager after Luton agree compensation fee - Stoke City | The Guardian
• Jones succeeds Gary Rowett at struggling Championship club
• Jones, 45, guided Luton to second in League One
Stoke City have appointed Nathan Jones as their new manager after agreeing a compensation package with Luton Town. The 45-year-old takes over from Gary Rowett, who was sacked on Tuesday after less than eight months in charge.
The decision to turn to Jones represents a significant shift in Stoke’s approach to managerial appointments, given the value that they have previously placed on experience. That strategy has not worked, however, and has resulted in Mark Hughes, Paul Lambert and Rowett leaving their positions in the space of little more than a year.Continue reading...
- Tue, 08 Jan 2019 10:03:00 +0000: Stoke City sack manager Gary Rowett after eight months in charge - Stoke City | The Guardian
- Rowett departs with Stoke 14th in the Championship
- Rory Delap among team who will take temporary charge
Stoke City have sacked Gary Rowett after less than eight months as their manager, with the club 14th in the Championship.
Rowett was appointed in late May after a compensation package was agreed with his former club, Derby. The 44-year-old was tasked with leading Stoke to an immediate Premier League return but has won only eight league games out of 26 this season.Continue reading...
- Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:16:00 +0000: Jonathan Kodjia salvages a point for Aston Villa against Stoke - Stoke City | The Guardian
Jonathan Kodjia came to Aston Villa’s rescue salvaging a point late on. The visitors twice took the lead but Kodjia demonstrated his value by winning a penalty and then notching the equaliser.
Joe Allen, who impressed for Stoke, opened the scoring two minutes into the second half and Benik Afobe hit the other from the penalty spot 12 minutes from time.Continue reading...
- Wed, 05 Dec 2018 09:50:44 +0000: Port Vale Checkatrade derby with Stoke U21s ends in violence and 11 arrests - Stoke City | The Guardian
• Away fans cause ‘considerable damage’ to Vale Park
• Home club condemn fans responsible for violence
Port Vale have condemned the fans responsible for the violence and “considerable damage” to Vale Park after the club’s Tuesday night derby with Stoke Under-21s ended with seats being ripped out, windows smashed and toilets broken.Continue reading...
The Archived News for Stoke City is as follows:
- Thu, 22 Jun 2017 21:16:27 +0000: Crouch still hungry for goals at Stoke - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City striker Peter Crouch, who turns 37 in January, wants to carry on playing football as long as he can.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:53:36 +0000: Bennell charged with 14 further offences - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Ex-football coach Barry Bennell faces 14 further charges of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say.
- Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:20:00 +0000: Stoke keen to extend Shawcross contract - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City hope to extend Ryan Shawcross' contract and also sign loan man Bruno Martins Indi on a more permanent deal.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Thu, 01 Jun 2017 16:19:13 +0000: Stoke sign Fletcher on free transfer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke have signed midfielder Darren Fletcher on a free transfer from West Brom on a two-year deal.