Stoke City Latest Football News
- Wed, 18 Sep 2019 08:58:29 +0000: 'We didn't expect this': where is it going wrong for Nathan Jones and Stoke? - Stoke City | The Guardian
Stoke have the most expensive squad in the Championship but have endured their worst start for more than a century
Nathan Jones, a devout Christian, has several tattoos, from praying hands and the crucifixion on his left arm to Jesus Christ on his right bicep, and Michelangelo’s The Creation of Adam across his back. Faith means a lot to Jones and a belief in the methods that have brought him this far is equally unwavering, despite six defeats in seven Championship matches this season. “I don’t know if I’ve trod on a black cat or something, but everything seems to be going against us,” Jones said, stumped, after losing to Bristol City last Saturday. At the final whistle, he briefly bowed his head and held his palms aloft to supporters in the Boothen End as if to say sorry, and thank you for sticking by him.
The most expensively assembled squad in the Championship – at more than £143m – sit bottom of the pile with one point. “I don’t ask for a ride in his [the owner’s] helicopter,” Jones said recently, “I ask for time.” Jones and the club’s hierarchy are confident the tide will turn but something has to change at Brentford on Saturday. Stoke, who have endured their worst start to a season for more than a century, have forgotten how winning feels; the last time they got three points was on 6 April and it is 200 days since victory before their home crowd. They have not won successive matches since October, when Gary Rowett was in charge and Dean Smith was still to replace Steve Bruce at Aston Villa.Continue reading...
- Sat, 31 Aug 2019 17:41:09 +0000: Football League: Brentford punish Derby as Stoke slump again - Stoke City | The Guardian
- Charlton stay unbeaten, Huddersfield remain winless
- Sunderland suffer first defeat, Exeter still top of League Two
Birmingham City added to Nathan Jones’s misery with a comeback win over Stoke City at St Andrew’s. The visitors looked like they were heading for their first victory of the season after Liam Lindsay opened the scoring just before the hour mark but two goals in the space of three minutes turned things around as Lukas Jutkiewicz levelled things, then 16-year-old substitute Jude Bellingham’s deflected effort ensured Birmingham earned the points and Stoke stay bottom with a single point. Bellingham, at 16 years and 38 days broke Trevor Francis’ 49-year-old record to become the club’s youngest ever scorer.
Bristol City 2-2 Middlesbrough,Birmingham 2-1 Stoke, Brentford 3-0 Derby, Leeds 0-1 Swansea, Luton 2-1 Huddersfield, Millwall 1-1 Hull, Nottingham Forest 1-1 Preston North End, Reading 0-2 Charlton, Sheff Wed 1-2 QPR, West Brom 3-2 Blackburn, Wigan 0-0 Barnsley
Accrington 2-1 MK Dons, Blackpool 1-1 Portsmouth, Burton Albion 2-0 Bristol Rovers, Gillingham 5-0 Bolton, Ipswich 3-0 Shrewsbury, Lincoln 2-0 Fleetwood, Oxford Utd 3-3 Coventry, Peterborough 3-0 Sunderland, Rotherham 1-1 Tranmere, Southend 0-3 Rochdale, Wimbledon 0-0 Wycombe
Crawley 1-0 Cheltenham, Crewe 2-1 Bradford City, Exeter 1-0 Mansfield, Forest Green 0-2 Newport, Northampton 3-1 Plymouth, Oldham 0-1 Colchester, Port Vale 1-0 Cambridge, Salford City 1-1 Leyton Orient, Scunthorpe 0-1 Carlisle, Stevenage 2-2 Macclesfield, Swindon 3-1 Morecambe, Walsall 1-3 GrimsbyContinue reading...
- Tue, 27 Aug 2019 21:46:00 +0000: Carabao Cup roundup: Norwich are dumped out by League Two Crawley - Stoke City | The Guardian
• Crystal Palace lose to Colchester after penalty shootout
• Sheffield United, Brighton, Watford and Southampton win
Norwich were dumped out of the Carabao Cup by League Two Crawley as Bez Lubala’s deflected first-half shot was enough to secure a 1-0 win for Town.
Daniel Farke’s decision to change all 11 starters for the Canaries proved costly as the Premier League new boys produced a disjointed performance and were duly punished.Continue reading...
- Thu, 08 Aug 2019 13:35:08 +0000: ‘Trying to destroy careers’: Ravel Morrison defends Berahino from Johnson criticism - Stoke City | The Guardian
• Former England defender said Berahino ‘had wrong mentality’
• Striker expected to join Zulte Waregem after Stoke release
Ravel Morrison has hit out at Glen Johnson after the former England defender criticised Saido Berahino for having “the wrong attitude during their spell together at Stoke.
Berahino was released by Stoke on Wednesday with three years left on the contract he signed in January 2017 and is expected to join Zulte Waregem having spent part of pre-season with the Belgian club. Stoke are believed to have paid out more than £2m to buy out the forward’s contract having spent £12m on purchasing him from West Brom. The 26-year-old scored only five goals in 56 appearances.Continue reading...
- Wed, 31 Jul 2019 15:00:56 +0000: Ten of the best transfers by Championship clubs this summer - Stoke City | The Guardian
A few new (and familiar) faces will be hoping to impress when the Championship season kicks off on Friday night
Following their relegation from the Premier League and the departures of both Aron Gunnarsson and Victor Camarasa, Cardiff City were in desperate need of midfield reinforcements. Will Vaulks is an excellent addition. He chipped in with seven goals and seven assists last season while captaining Rotherham and should prove to be a real asset with and without the ball. Strong in the tackle and great in the air, with a cannon of a throw-in to boot, he’ll be a key player.
Related: Championship 2019-20 season previewContinue reading...
The Archived News for Stoke City is as follows:
- Thu, 22 Jun 2017 21:16:27 +0000: Crouch still hungry for goals at Stoke - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City striker Peter Crouch, who turns 37 in January, wants to carry on playing football as long as he can.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:53:36 +0000: Bennell charged with 14 further offences - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Ex-football coach Barry Bennell faces 14 further charges of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say.
- Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:20:00 +0000: Stoke keen to extend Shawcross contract - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City hope to extend Ryan Shawcross' contract and also sign loan man Bruno Martins Indi on a more permanent deal.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Thu, 01 Jun 2017 16:19:13 +0000: Stoke sign Fletcher on free transfer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke have signed midfielder Darren Fletcher on a free transfer from West Brom on a two-year deal.