Stoke City Latest Football News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Wed, 13 Mar 2019 22:09:05 +0000: Emi Buendía powers Norwich back to summit but Forest miss out - Stoke City | The Guardian
• Norwich beat Hull 3-2 and Derby held 0-0 by Stoke at home
• Forest beaten 3-1 by Villa and Boro lose to Preston 2-1
Norwich leapfrogged Leeds at the top of the Championship after beating Hull 3-2 while Nottingham Forest, beaten 3-1 at home by Aston Villa, wasted a chance to enter the top six.
Middlesbrough, fifth in the table, lost 2-1 against Preston after Daniel Ayala was sent off early in the second half with the home side in front. West Brom remain fourth after defeating Swansea 3-0 and Derby are sixth after drawing 0-0 at home with Stoke. Swansea’s Bersant Celina lost his footing when running up to take a first-half penalty, made hardly any contact and the ball was cleared.
❌PENALTY MISS!Continue reading...
Bersant Celina fluffs his lines in spectacular style. pic.twitter.com/fkXSRrJhJ4
- Mon, 04 Mar 2019 17:26:16 +0000: Gordon Banks: crowds pay tribute to 'greatest English goalkeeper' - Stoke City | The Guardian
Funeral in Stoke-on-Trent remembers ‘modest family man’ despite achievements
Thousands of football fans, families and schoolchildren lined the streets of Stoke-on-Trent on Monday to celebrate the life of Gordon Banks, one of the world’s greatest goalkeepers and the “supreme gentleman of football”.
The Staffordshire city came to a standstill as crowds gathered to applaud Banks’s funeral cortege as it travelled from the club’s stadium to Stoke Minster.Continue reading...
- Tue, 12 Feb 2019 19:00:08 +0000: Calm, alert and brave, Gordon Banks was the ideal goalkeeper for any age | Richard Williams - Stoke City | The Guardian
For a while, as the 60s bled into the 70s, Gordon Banks, who has died at the age of 81, was accepted as the finest goalkeeper in the world
Not all of the 11 players who won the World Cup for England in 1966 would claim he was the best in his position the country has ever produced. Two or three might have a good shout, but the one over whom there could be no dissent was Gordon Banks.
He was, in short, the ideal goalkeeper for any age. Calm but ever alert, organising his defenders, watching his angles, plucking the ball out of the air, anticipating what a forward with the ball at his feet might do next, as brave as a lion in an era when strikers had a licence to intimidate, his qualities were beyond dispute.
Related: Gordon Banks obituary
Related: Gordon Banks – a life in picturesContinue reading...
- Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:20:37 +0000: Pelé leads Gordon Banks tributes as England World Cup winner dies aged 81 - Stoke City | The Guardian
• Banks played in goal for Sir Alf Ramsey’s legendary 1966 side
• Produced one of the greatest ever saves to thwart Pelé in 1970
Pelé led the tributes from around the world on Tuesday after the death of Gordon Banks, widely regarded as England’s greatest ever goalkeeper and a key member of the 1966 World Cup winning side. The Brazil forward’s name will be forever linked with that of Banks as a result of one of the 1970 World Cup’s most memorable moments, with Pelé generously suggesting he is happy the goalkeeper kept out his famous header because it led to a subsequent friendship.
Goalkeeping has changed a lot since Gordon and I played. But if he were playing today, he would still be one of the very best. Rest in peace, my friend. https://t.co/NYDiEzY6VZ pic.twitter.com/EOYmMKbgPH
1937 Born in Sheffield
Related: Gordon Banks obituaryContinue reading...
- Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:30:07 +0000: From the archive: England 0-1 Brazil, World Cup match report (1970). By Albert Barham - Stoke City | The Guardian
7 June 1970 No one could fault Gordon Banks. He pushed away the swerving shots at which the Brazilians are so adept as England lose group match
Guadalajara, June 7
Brazil, the masters of football technique, triumphed over England in the Jalisco Stadium here today. Only one goal was scored, by Jairzinho, after an hour, but it was sufficient to remind England that they have never yet beaten Brazil in their own hemisphere.
Related: Gordon Banks obituaryContinue reading...
The Archived News for Stoke City is as follows:
- Thu, 22 Jun 2017 21:16:27 +0000: Crouch still hungry for goals at Stoke - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City striker Peter Crouch, who turns 37 in January, wants to carry on playing football as long as he can.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:53:36 +0000: Bennell charged with 14 further offences - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Ex-football coach Barry Bennell faces 14 further charges of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say.
- Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:20:00 +0000: Stoke keen to extend Shawcross contract - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City hope to extend Ryan Shawcross' contract and also sign loan man Bruno Martins Indi on a more permanent deal.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Thu, 01 Jun 2017 16:19:13 +0000: Stoke sign Fletcher on free transfer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke have signed midfielder Darren Fletcher on a free transfer from West Brom on a two-year deal.