Stoke City Latest Football News for the 2017 – 2018 Season
- Sun, 19 Nov 2017 14:10:00 +0000: Saido Berahino: the former golden boy who has gone 632 days without scoring | Barry Glendenning - Stoke City | The Guardian
The Stoke striker, who faces Brighton on Monday, was labelled West Brom’s answer to Harry Kane but is yet to score for his club. Will his touch ever return?
It’s a long time, 2,159 minutes. Exactly enough to fit in Beverly Hills Cop and all four Indiana Jones movies, plus the Godfather, Toy Story, Man With No Name and the original Star Wars trilogies. Those of a more masochistic bent could spend it watching all the senior football Saido Berahino has played since he last scored a goal: 2,159 minutes and counting. By the time Stoke City take on Brighton in the Premier League on Monday night, 632 days will have passed since he celebrated one of his own. As statistics go it is shocking and must be a source of great concern for his employers. How many more movie marathons must we sit through before it is fair to label him another wasted talent with a great future behind him?
In an interview with the Daily Telegraph in early 2015, Berahino complained that “people read about me and hear about me but nobody really knows who I am”. At the time he was best known as a raw but promising 21-year-old striker with West Bromwich Albion, but the interview sketched a picture of a more complex character, offering different aspects of light and shade. A refugee forced to flee Burundi for England alone as a 10-year-old, Berahino eventually joined his mother and sisters who had also escaped the civil war that claimed the life of his father. He came across as an apparently well-adjusted young man who clearly adored his mum and had a good understanding of the suffering those left behind in his homeland were forced to endure. Heck, he was even trying to help by setting up an eponymous foundation which he hoped would eventually raise enough money to build a hospital.Continue reading...
- Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:00:27 +0000: Brighton & Hove Albion v Stoke City: match preview - Stoke City | The Guardian
Brighton put together a run of two wins and two draws, built on Glenn Murray’s four goals in three games, before the international break and are eighth in the table as a result. Lee Grant starts in place of the injured Jack Butland for Stoke and Murray will be relishing facing the replacement, especially as Stoke have conceded an average of two goals a game this season and just one fewer in total than the league’s worst tally. Graham Searles
Kick-off Monday 8pmContinue reading...
- Thu, 16 Nov 2017 18:08:24 +0000: Premier League health check: the overachievers and underperformers | Paul Wilson - Stoke City | The Guardian
The table doesn’t lie but teams such as Burnley and Brighton are exceeding all expectations while Swansea and Everton have disappointed badly. Here’s how the 20 sides rank based on early-season health and vigour
They say the league table never lies, and this is of course true. What they don’t tell you is that during the dog days of an international break, when nothing falls or rises and hopes and fears are put on temporary hold, the narrative becomes a bit less compelling.
You get sick of looking at the same thing, in other words, although Burnley, Brighton, Watford and Huddersfield will probably never tire of waiting for winter and the real meat of the season from a position in the top half of the table. As far as the first third of the season goes, some of those clubs are among the big winners, simply for delighting their fans by doing better than expected.Continue reading...
- Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:42:05 +0000: Bet365 chief Denise Coates paid herself £217m last year - Stoke City | The Guardian
Founder of online bookmaker becomes UK’s highest paid boss as concern rises about number of lives ruined by gambling addiction
Denise Coates, the billionaire founder and boss of gambling firm Bet365, paid herself £217m last year as her company made a £525m profit from a record £47bn of bets.
The 50-year-old, who started Bet365 in a Portakabin in a Stoke car park 17 years ago, is now the best-paid boss in Britain, dwarfing previous titleholder ad man Sir Martin Sorrell on £48m.
From Portakabin to £500m profitsContinue reading...
- Thu, 09 Nov 2017 19:41:30 +0000: Jack Butland joins England’s long injury list after breaking finger - Stoke City | The Guardian
• Stoke goalkeeper returns to his club for medical assessment
• Butland had been expected to start Wembley friendly against Germany
England have suffered another injury blow on the eve of their friendly with Germany after Jack Butland was forced to withdraw from the squad.
The Football Association announced on Thursday night that the goalkeeper had broken a finger in training. An FA statement added: “The goalkeeper has now returned to Stoke City to be assessed by his club’s medical staff.”Continue reading...
The Archived News for Stoke City is as follows:
- Thu, 22 Jun 2017 21:16:27 +0000: Crouch still hungry for goals at Stoke - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City striker Peter Crouch, who turns 37 in January, wants to carry on playing football as long as he can.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:53:36 +0000: Bennell charged with 14 further offences - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Ex-football coach Barry Bennell faces 14 further charges of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say.
- Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:20:00 +0000: Stoke keen to extend Shawcross contract - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke City hope to extend Ryan Shawcross' contract and also sign loan man Bruno Martins Indi on a more permanent deal.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Thu, 01 Jun 2017 16:19:13 +0000: Stoke sign Fletcher on free transfer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Stoke City | BBC
Stoke have signed midfielder Darren Fletcher on a free transfer from West Brom on a two-year deal.