The Latest Southampton FC Transfer News for 2017 – 2018
- Mon, 11 Nov 2019 08:30:04 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - Southampton | The Guardian
Emery’s Arsenal have lost their direction and Spurs’ problems start at full-back but Burnley’s Dwight McNeil is on song
Riyad Mahrez impressed only in spells during his first season at Manchester City but, with Leroy Sané felled by a cruciate injury in August’s Community Shield victory, the onus was on the £60m man to step up. An imperious performance at West Ham on the opening day of the season suggested he would do exactly that, yet he has started only four league games since – two of those being defeats – and with his side desperate for goals in a critical game at Anfield he was not called on at all. Mahrez remains a magical player on his day but the suspicion remains that he is a player who reflects his team’s performance rather than dictates it. City broke the bank to sign Mahrez from Leicester. With their defence a shambles, it looks in hindsight like a woeful misjudgment. Alex HessContinue reading...
- Sun, 10 Nov 2019 23:31:14 +0000: The Dozen: flares, zorbs and Maddison's delight – the best Premier League pics - Southampton | The Guardian
Our picture editors chose their favourite pics from the weekend’s actionContinue reading...
- Sun, 10 Nov 2019 22:30:49 +0000: Marco Silva says Michael Keane will be stronger after being dropped - Southampton | The Guardian
• Defender was a substitute for Everton’s win at Southampton
• Keane also left out of England squad for upcoming fixtures
Marco Silva has reassured Michael Keane that being dropped for club and country “is not the end of the world” and the Everton manager believes it will make the defender stronger.
Gareth Southgate dropped Keane, whose form has dipped since an error on international duty in October, from his 27-man England squad to face Montenegro and Kosovo this week, with Manchester City’s John Stones recalled at his expense.Continue reading...
- Sat, 09 Nov 2019 17:12:54 +0000: Richarlison lifts Everton’s spirits and punishes struggling Southampton - Southampton | The Guardian
By the end, the scarves given out to Southampton supporters – presumably to placate for that record-breaking 9-0 shellacking here against Leicester a fortnight ago – were strewn across the pitch in anger. They should have doubled up as blindfolds, such was the spineless manner of a first-half performance that set the tone for a sixth defeat in seven Premier League matches. The dark clouds that loomed over the Everton manager, Marco Silva, may have subsided but the pressure has intensified on Ralph Hasenhüttl, whose side have the worst defensive record in the division. This was yet more anguish for disenchanted Southampton fans, who have not seen their team record victory on home soil since April. Hasenhüttl grimaced as Richarlison struck the winner and, up in the directors’ box, food for thought for Katharina Liebherr, the former majority shareholder.Continue reading...
- Fri, 08 Nov 2019 14:17:59 +0000: Southampton v Everton: match preview - Southampton | The Guardian
Everton head to St Mary’s for the first of two games with teams below them and a win essential if they are to tackle a difficult December in anything like good heart. Marco Silva, who has been less than strident in making his team’s case against controversial VAR decisions in the last two games – two penalties denied against Spurs, a shocker awarded to Brighton – and arguably costing his team five points in what is becoming an increasingly difficult season, will have to reshape the midfield again, with André Gomes joining Jean-Philippe Gbamin on the long-term injury list. Ralph Hasenhüttl has his own problems, winless in the league at home and desperate to rebuild confidence after their 9-0 shellacking by Leicester, though he has Moussa Djenepo available to start for the first time in weeks. Mark Tallentire
Saturday 3pmContinue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:56:31 +0000: Pellegrino appointed Southampton manager - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton appoint Mauricio Pellegrino as their new manager, with the 45-year-old former Alaves boss replacing Claude Puel.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:42:32 +0000: Southampton sack manager Puel - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton sack boss Claude Puel after one season in charge, when they finished eighth in the Premier League and reached the League Cup final.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:24:39 +0000: Barnsley sign Saints defender McCarthy - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Barnsley sign Southampton defender Jason McCarthy for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 18:20:44 +0000: Liverpool end interest in Van Dijk - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Liverpool apologise to Southampton over "any misunderstanding" and end their interest in defender Virgil van Dijk.
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins has been a busy man in the transfer market this summer as he looks to reinforce his squad for the start of next season after a great run which saw them promoted to the English top flight via the play offs. Adkins is now desperate to bring in new names to the club so that he can secure their position in the top flight for another season at least.
The first signing of the summer sees promising young full back Nathaniel Clyne arrive at St Mary`s from Crystal Palace after the promise of the clubs plans to attempt to quality for Europe this season were very enticing for the player. Southampton though will need to pay a large compensation fee to his current club if the deal goes through as due to the players age his former club feel they are due some type of payment from the saints after he signed a new four year deal last week.
Another player who has just be signed by the club is talented striker Jay Rodriguez after he recently arrived from Burnley for a fee which is believed to be around the six and a half million pounds mark. Adkins has long been an admirer of the player and is extremely happy with the signing which he sees as just perfect to bolster his attacking line for next season.
A shocking bit of news right now for Southampton is the fact that their attempts to bring defender Alexander Buttner to St Mary`s may be in tatters after his current club Vitesse Arnham have halted the move after another club have come into the frame for the players signature. Southampton may now find themselves in a bidding war for the player who they see as a perfect addition to their squad so as of now all dealings over the player have hit a premature halt.