The Latest Southampton FC Transfer News for 2017 – 2018
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:30:33 +0000: James Ward-Prowse aims to make most of his second England chance - Southampton | The Guardian
The Southampton midfielder is in the form of his life and has been called up by Gareth Southgate for the Euro 2020 qualifiers two years after winning his only previous cap
James Ward-Prowse could have been forgiven for thinking his chance had passed him by when Gareth Southgate announced his latest England squad last week. After six goals in his previous nine games in the Premier League the Southampton midfielder admits he was almost surprised not to see his name among the 23 players called up for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro.
“I didn’t have anything,” says the 24-year-old with a shrug when asked whether Southgate had been in touch to explain his omission. “I saw his press conference and his interviews and read up on that but football is a game of opinions …”
I've had a lot of ups and downs but I feel like I'm in the strongest position I've ever been as a person and as a playerContinue reading...
- Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:31:44 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - Southampton | The Guardian
Emery has Arsenal on course for top-four finish, Camarasa’s class is vital for Cardiff and Coady leads Wolves from the back
Manchester United arrived in north London having won every away game under Ole Gunnar Solskjær, including a comprehensive FA Cup fourth-round victory at the Emirates. Arsenal had an unbeaten run of their own to protect – they haven’t lost at home in the league since the opening day – and Granit Xhaka’s early goal enabled them to maintain that run. Arsenal rode their luck at times, but Unai Emery’s three-man defence restricted the visitors’ threat on the break, while the deployment of both Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang up front paid off. Victory takes Arsenal’s tally against their fellow ‘big six’ teams this season to 12 points – double what they managed in Arsène Wenger’s farewell season. With a relatively kind run-in, a top-four finish (preferably above Spurs) now appears firmly within reach – an achievement most fans would have taken before their first season with Emery at the wheel. Niall McVeighContinue reading...
- Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:18:17 +0000: The Dozen: the weekend’s best Premier League photos - Southampton | The Guardian
Your weekend roundup of the best photography from England’s top flight
- View the Dozen archive
- Sat, 09 Mar 2019 19:46:48 +0000: Mauricio Pochettino accuses Tottenham of ‘arrogance’ and ‘complacency’ - Southampton | The Guardian
• Spurs manager questions side’s trophy-winning credentials
• Southampton come back from half-time deficit to win 2-1
Mauricio Pochettino was damning in his assessment of his Tottenham players after they threw away a first-half lead to lose 2-1 to Southampton, accusing them of “complacency” and “arrogance” and suggesting they do not have the mental strength required to win major honours.
Tottenham looked on course for victory, having taken the lead through Harry Kane’s 26th-minute goal. They were utterly dominant against relegation-threatened opponents but then came a quite incredible second-half turnaround as Southampton recorded their first home victory over Spurs since returning to the Premier League in 2012. Yan Valery equalised before James Ward-Prowse scored the winner nine minutes from time.
The four-way sprint for the third and fourth Champions League placesContinue reading...
- Sat, 09 Mar 2019 19:12:27 +0000: Pochettino on Spurs' defeat: 'It was about complacency and arrogance' – video - Southampton | The Guardian
A very disappointed Mauricio Pochettino was furious after a dramatic change in the attitude of his Tottenham players allowed Southampton to come back in the second half and secure victory through goals from Yan Valery and James Ward-ProwseContinue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:56:31 +0000: Pellegrino appointed Southampton manager - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton appoint Mauricio Pellegrino as their new manager, with the 45-year-old former Alaves boss replacing Claude Puel.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:42:32 +0000: Southampton sack manager Puel - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton sack boss Claude Puel after one season in charge, when they finished eighth in the Premier League and reached the League Cup final.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:24:39 +0000: Barnsley sign Saints defender McCarthy - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Barnsley sign Southampton defender Jason McCarthy for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 18:20:44 +0000: Liverpool end interest in Van Dijk - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Liverpool apologise to Southampton over "any misunderstanding" and end their interest in defender Virgil van Dijk.
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins has been a busy man in the transfer market this summer as he looks to reinforce his squad for the start of next season after a great run which saw them promoted to the English top flight via the play offs. Adkins is now desperate to bring in new names to the club so that he can secure their position in the top flight for another season at least.
The first signing of the summer sees promising young full back Nathaniel Clyne arrive at St Mary`s from Crystal Palace after the promise of the clubs plans to attempt to quality for Europe this season were very enticing for the player. Southampton though will need to pay a large compensation fee to his current club if the deal goes through as due to the players age his former club feel they are due some type of payment from the saints after he signed a new four year deal last week.
Another player who has just be signed by the club is talented striker Jay Rodriguez after he recently arrived from Burnley for a fee which is believed to be around the six and a half million pounds mark. Adkins has long been an admirer of the player and is extremely happy with the signing which he sees as just perfect to bolster his attacking line for next season.
A shocking bit of news right now for Southampton is the fact that their attempts to bring defender Alexander Buttner to St Mary`s may be in tatters after his current club Vitesse Arnham have halted the move after another club have come into the frame for the players signature. Southampton may now find themselves in a bidding war for the player who they see as a perfect addition to their squad so as of now all dealings over the player have hit a premature halt.