The Latest Southampton FC Transfer News for 2017 – 2018
- Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:47:37 +0000: The Dozen: the best FA Cup pictures from the weekend - Southampton | The Guardian
Our picture editors choose their favourite images from the weekend’s actionContinue reading...
- Sun, 26 Jan 2020 22:30:34 +0000: Tottenham’s Giovani Lo Celso earns praise for his shining display - Southampton | The Guardian
• Midfielder flourished in drawn FA Cup tie at Southampton
• Argentinian has adapted to rigours of Premier League
Harry Winks has said Giovani Lo Celso can help soothe the soreness of Christian Eriksen’s imminent departure as Tottenham prepare for a changing of the guard. Internazionale hope to finalise the signing of Eriksen on a four-and-a-half-year contract in the next 48 hours and the Danish midfielder was absent from the Spurs squad at Southampton in the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday, with José Mourinho criticising the Serie A club over the unsettling timing of the transfer.
By contrast Mourinho was effusive in his praise of Lo Celso, who flourished at St Mary’s despite Sofiane Boufal forcing a replay after cancelling out Son Heung-min’s opener, for which Lo Celso was the catalyst. The Argentinian was instrumental throughout and Mourinho revealed that Tottenham plan to activate an option to sign Lo Celso from Real Betis on a permanent basis. Spurs can buy the loanee for £27.2m this month or £34m in the summer.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Jan 2020 17:07:48 +0000: Southampton force replay with Spurs thanks to Sofiane Boufal’s late equaliser - Southampton | The Guardian
On José Mourinho’s last visit here he railed at everything from ball boys to backroom staff but on this occasion his prime source of frustration stemmed not from Southampton but rather the protracted transfer saga surrounding Christian Eriksen, who is close to sealing a €20m move to Internazionale. Mourinho pointed the finger at the Serie A club before shrugging his shoulders at the manner in which fixtures are piling up for Tottenham Hotspur after having to settle for a replay.
Before kick-off Mourinho bemoaned his side’s congested schedule and, after Sofiane Boufal cancelled out a wonderfully crafted Son Heung-min opener, the Portuguese has another game to add to the list. Son struck after a magical weaving run by Giovani Lo Celso, which appeared to pave Spurs’ passage to the fifth round – but they face a replay after Boufal lashed home inside the box from a cutback by Danny Ings. Lo Celso had a first-half goal disallowed by the video assistant referee and Ings thrice went close to levelling before Boufal’s late intervention. Mourinho was at pains to say an extra game causes no drama but Eriksen’s departure most definitely rankles.Continue reading...
- Fri, 24 Jan 2020 18:19:00 +0000: FA Cup fourth round: team news and match previews - Southampton | The Guardian
News and previews for the weekend’s games as Liverpool visit Shrewsbury, Chelsea go to Hull and Southampton host Spurs
Saturday 3pm Venue Turf MoorContinue reading...
Referee Michael Oliver VAR Yes Odds H Evs A 3-1 D 5-2
Head-to-head Burnley 18, Norwich 14; seven draws
- Fri, 24 Jan 2020 12:00:24 +0000: Southampton’s Alex McCarthy: ‘My dad had to learn how to walk again’ - Southampton | The Guardian
The Southampton goalkeeper discusses his father’s cycling accident, his England hopes and Saints’ remarkable revival
As Alex McCarthy acknowledges, it has been a rather strange season for Southampton, a seesaw of emotions from that nightmarish pummelling by Leicester at St Mary’s to an extraordinary run of eight wins in their past 11 league matches.
McCarthy made his first league start of the season following that 9-0 demolition but one constant has been the form of Danny Ings, whose goals have fuelled an astonishing turnaround.Continue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:56:31 +0000: Pellegrino appointed Southampton manager - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton appoint Mauricio Pellegrino as their new manager, with the 45-year-old former Alaves boss replacing Claude Puel.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:42:32 +0000: Southampton sack manager Puel - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton sack boss Claude Puel after one season in charge, when they finished eighth in the Premier League and reached the League Cup final.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:24:39 +0000: Barnsley sign Saints defender McCarthy - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Barnsley sign Southampton defender Jason McCarthy for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 18:20:44 +0000: Liverpool end interest in Van Dijk - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Liverpool apologise to Southampton over "any misunderstanding" and end their interest in defender Virgil van Dijk.
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins has been a busy man in the transfer market this summer as he looks to reinforce his squad for the start of next season after a great run which saw them promoted to the English top flight via the play offs. Adkins is now desperate to bring in new names to the club so that he can secure their position in the top flight for another season at least.
The first signing of the summer sees promising young full back Nathaniel Clyne arrive at St Mary`s from Crystal Palace after the promise of the clubs plans to attempt to quality for Europe this season were very enticing for the player. Southampton though will need to pay a large compensation fee to his current club if the deal goes through as due to the players age his former club feel they are due some type of payment from the saints after he signed a new four year deal last week.
Another player who has just be signed by the club is talented striker Jay Rodriguez after he recently arrived from Burnley for a fee which is believed to be around the six and a half million pounds mark. Adkins has long been an admirer of the player and is extremely happy with the signing which he sees as just perfect to bolster his attacking line for next season.
A shocking bit of news right now for Southampton is the fact that their attempts to bring defender Alexander Buttner to St Mary`s may be in tatters after his current club Vitesse Arnham have halted the move after another club have come into the frame for the players signature. Southampton may now find themselves in a bidding war for the player who they see as a perfect addition to their squad so as of now all dealings over the player have hit a premature halt.