The Manchester City Football Club Latest Football News
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:32:48 +0000: Pep Guardiola revels in Manchester City’s dominant win over Chelsea - Manchester City | The Guardian
- Manager praises Jesus after City’s ‘performance of season’
- Thomas Tuchel admits Chelsea were second best
Pep Guardiola said Manchester City had produced their best performance of the season after the champions gained revenge for their defeat to Chelsea in the Champions League final with an impressive 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge.
City, who face Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday and Liverpool next weekend, were dominant against the European champions and deservedly won thanks to Gabriel Jesus’s goal in the second half. Chelsea were outplayed and Guardiola, who surpassed Les McDowall’s record of 220 wins as City manager, feels that his side have more to give.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:00:01 +0000: Jack Grealish finds a different rhythm to dance Chelsea into submission | Barney Ronay - Manchester City | The Guardian
In a match between two rigorously drilled systems, Manchester City’s £100m man provided a vital element of maverick flair
There were four minutes to play as Jack Grealish left the pitch. Manchester City were still deep in the boiler room, seeing out a 1-0 lead in a game they had for long periods dominated to a strangulating degree. But there was time still for a round of hand-clasps, back-pats and buttock slaps, the most significant from his replacement Raheem Sterling, who had sat for 85 minutes watching Grealish produce a quiet masterpiece on the flank that had been Sterling’s own private strip of turf for long periods last season.
There was nothing from Pep Guardiola, although Grealish did sneak an eager, lingering look at the maniacal figure in black, who was at that moment caught up with whirling his arms and barking out assorted thoughts, ideas, tweaks, fears, counter-theories.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 13:49:05 +0000: Chelsea 0-1 Manchester City: Premier League – as it happened! - Manchester City | The Guardian
Gabriel Jesus’s second-half strike sealed a big win at Stamford Bridge that lifted City above Chelsea in the table
Marcus Bettinelli and John Stones are friends, it would seem. Is from England Under-21 duty or similar?
Joe Cole says Chelsea are the “best team in world football” off the ball, which sounds like the real quiz. They are a very impressive outfit at the moment but will be severely tested today if City are “at it”.Continue reading...
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 13:41:28 +0000: Gabriel Jesus’s deflected strike seals Manchester City win over Chelsea - Manchester City | The Guardian
This was a reminder there are few more uplifting sights than a Pep Guardiola team playing at the point of maximum expression in a big game. There was never any chance of Manchester City letting go of their ideals. The champions were bold and inventive from start to finish, breaking Chelsea’s sheen of defensive invulnerability with a beautiful exhibition of passing and movement, and even Thomas Tuchel looked short of inspiration as he tried to find a way of countering Guardiola’s swaggering football.
It had the feel of City showing the chasing pack they remain the team to beat. Much has been made of their failure to strengthen their attack by signing Harry Kane, but their lack of an elite striker made no difference against the European champions. Phil Foden caught the eye as a false nine, Bernardo Silva sparkled in midfield and though City were wasteful at times Guardiola was delighted to see Gabriel Jesus continue his reinvention as a right-winger by settling an absorbing game with a deflected winner early in the second half.Continue reading...
- Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:30:25 +0000: Thomas Tuchel plays down talk of power shift with Manchester City - Manchester City | The Guardian
- Chelsea looking for fourth straight win over Guardiola’s side
- ‘We can never lose intensity or focus against Pep’s teams’
Thomas Tuchel knows his players must be ready to suffer again. Although Chelsea’s manager has shown it does not take a miracle to outwit Pep Guardiola, he is not arrogant enough to think he has cracked the code when it comes to dealing with Manchester City.
There is no chance of Tuchel underestimating these opponents. The German does not believe that he has gained an edge over Guardiola despite three straight victories over him last season.Continue reading...
News Archive Below
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 16:58:58 +0000: Chelsea 0-1 Man City: Pep Guardiola's men have sent out powerful message to Premier League rivals - BBC Sport
After Man City ended Chelsea's unbeaten start to the season, BBC Sport's Phil McNulty looks at the significance of the victory.
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 14:47:26 +0000: Chelsea 0-1 Man City: Pep Guardiola praises 'incredible players' - BBC Sport
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola praises his "incredible players" after their 1-0 win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 14:21:17 +0000: Chelsea 0-1 Man City: Thomas Tuchel says his players lacked confidence - BBC Sport
Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel says his side "were not good enough" during their 1-0 defeat by Manchester City at Stamford Bridge.
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 14:03:39 +0000: Chelsea 0-1 Manchester City: Gabriel Jesus fires dominant visitors to victory - BBC Sport
Gabriel Jesus' deflected second-half effort gives a dominant Manchester City a deserved victory over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
- Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:30:20 +0000: Pep Guardiola says becoming Manchester City's most successful manager will be 'an honour' - BBC Sport
Pep Guardiola says it will be "an honour" when he gets the win he needs to become Manchester City's most successful manager.