The Manchester City Football Club Latest Football News for 2017 – 2018
- Mon, 15 Jan 2018 21:42:00 +0000: Manchester United’s José Mourinho expects rival bids for Alexis Sánchez - Manchester City | The Guardian
• Mourinho admits: ‘Most probably other big clubs are interested’
• Chelsea wait in wings after Manchester City step back from bidding
José Mourinho believes “other big clubs” are interested in the Arsenal forward, Alexis Sánchez, despite Manchester City appearing to clear the way for Manchester United to secure the Chile forward citing the escalating costs of any deal.
City have stepped back from the bidding, for now at least, for a player they had originally hoped to secure for around £20m in January. They suspect Chelsea, rival suitors last summer, have expressed late interest in Sánchez, despite the fact the Premier League champions would have to offer wages virtually double those paid to Eden Hazard to meet the Arsenal player’s salary demands. There has been no formal contact between the two London clubs.Continue reading...
- Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:33:49 +0000: Manchester United spending a fortune to get Alexis Sánchez at 29 makes sense - Manchester City | The Guardian
United would benefit from a ready-made prime-career star and the signing of Sánchez would bring an intriguing meeting of sporting souls with José Mourinho – a shared dark lust for glory
It isn’t hard to pick out the moment Alexis Sánchez began to say his long goodbye. Last season’s Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich is still a tender spot for Arsenal fans, one of those episodes of Total Collapse that have marked out springtime in the late Wenger years.
With 11 minutes gone in Bavaria Arsenal were 1-0 down, the defence apparently astonished to find Arjen Robben has a thing for dipping his shoulder, cutting inside and shooting. By the final whistle it was 5-1 to Bayern. But it could have been seven, or eight, or 12. In between times, as his team-mates curdled and turned green, Sánchez went nuts.Continue reading...
- Mon, 15 Jan 2018 10:00:00 +0000: Ferocious Liverpool press home advantage over panicking Manchester City | Jonathan Wilson - Manchester City | The Guardian
The pressing by Jürgen Klopp’s side was so disciplined that it forced a collective loss of control in the visitors’ backline
It turns out, then, that the formula was simple. All anybody had to do to beat Manchester City was to match them shape for shape, press high up the pitch, harass them into a eight-minute meltdown, capitalise on mistakes with a series of stunning finishes and then cling on desperately.
Jürgen Klopp is not the first manager to realise that the best way to unsettle a Pep Guardiola side is to squeeze them, and this is not the first time he has had his side do that effectively. No manager has a better record than Klopp against Guardiola: six wins in 12 attempts. But, as Tottenham discovered, trying to push high against City is fraught with risk; they did it well enough to force City to adapt their approach and ended up being hammered 4-1.Continue reading...
- Mon, 15 Jan 2018 07:52:47 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - Manchester City | The Guardian
Arsenal have hit an all-time low under Arsène Wenger, Chelsea could go for Andy Carroll and Sam Allardyce needs a result
Chelsea have endured three successive goalless draws for the first time and it is inconceivable the scouting department is not exploring forward options. Something has clearly put them off the pursuit of Alexis Sánchez, whom they courted in the summer. Perhaps they believe he is set upon a reunion with Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Maybe they feel they cannot compete with the financial package Manchester United could offer. Possibly they deem the costs excessive. Yet, if that avenue is blocked, and with Crystal Palace unlikely to entertain offers for Christian Benteke, there remains the possibility Chelsea will explore Andy Carroll’s availability. Antonio Conte had hoped to secure a targetman over the summer and is apparently an admirer of Carroll, for all the 29-year-old’s patchy injury record. Such a move would once have seemed outlandish. Yet times may have changed. Dominic FifieldContinue reading...
- Sun, 14 Jan 2018 21:26:24 +0000: The Dozen: the weekend’s best Premier League photos - Manchester City | The Guardian
Your weekend roundup of the best photography from England’s top flightContinue reading...
News Archive Below
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:27:24 +0000: Ipswich close in on Huws & Celina - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester City | BBC
Ipswich Town have a bid accepted for Cardiff's Emyr Huws and hope to conclude a deal for Manchester City's Bersant Celina.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:53:36 +0000: Bennell charged with 14 further offences - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester City | BBC
Ex-football coach Barry Bennell faces 14 further charges of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say.
- Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:03:39 +0000: Man City consider bid for Juve's Alves - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester City | BBC
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola could turn to Juventus and Brazil defender Dani Alves to strengthen his full-back options.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:36:27 +0000: Sterling to make Grenfell Tower donation - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester City | BBC
Manchester City and England winger Raheem Sterling is to make a substantial donation to those affected by the Grenfell Tower fire.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 10:54:11 +0000: Huddersfield agree £10m fee for Mooy - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester City | BBC
Newly promoted Huddersfield Town agree a club-record £10m fee for Manchester City midfielder Aaron Mooy.