The Liverpool Football Club Latest Football News for 2017 – 2018
- Wed, 23 May 2018 14:33:02 +0000: Real Madrid’s trophy machine bids to set the seal on modern-day mastery - Liverpool | The Guardian
Never mind the record books, Liverpool’s task in Kiev on Saturday is finding a way of beating a team who feel right at home in Champions League finals
Saturday’s Champions League final in Kiev promises to be that rare event, a meeting of outstanding teams that manages to live up to its billing, though the television trailer advertising the fact that the contestants have 17 European Cups between them is being ever so slightly economical with the truth.
The figure is correct, it is just that Liverpool’s proud total of five is dwarfed by the Spanish club’s dozen. Not many teams can make Liverpool feel inferior in Europe, but Real Madrid can. The current holders of the trophy have a habit of making everyone feel inferior. No one else is yet in double figures. No one else has won back-to-back titles in both the original European Cup knockout format and the modern Champions League era.Continue reading...
- Wed, 23 May 2018 10:37:18 +0000: Liverpool face key call over how to use Mohamed Salah against Real Madrid - Liverpool | The Guardian
Jürgen Klopp can ask Salah to drop and help Trent Alexander-Arnold or concentrate on exploiting the space behind Marcelo and the Brazilian’s defensive weaknesses
Nothing, perhaps, should give Liverpool such heart ahead of Saturday’s Champions League final as Bayern Munich’s first goal against Real Madrid in the second leg of their semi-final.
Nothing dramatic happens. Franck Ribéry turns in from the left flank and plays an unremarkable low pass in to Robert Lewandowski in a central position on the edge of the box. The ball bounces up in front of the Polish striker and his first touch as a result takes him away from goal. He is able, though, to shield the ball and, as Sergio Ramos decides to sit off, Lewandowski has time to work the ball wide to Thomas Müller who is, bafflingly, in 15 yards of space, out on the touchline, roughly level with the edge of the box.Continue reading...
- Tue, 22 May 2018 21:48:00 +0000: Dejan Lovren: ‘The only thing similar about Liverpool to 2014 is our name’ - Liverpool | The Guardian
The Croatia defender played in the meek defeats by Real Madrid under Brendan Rodgers but says the club are very different now
Memories of Dejan Lovren’s last Champions League encounter with Real Madrid and the similarities with Saturday’s final might once have caused him to wince. Today they inspire only belief. “If I see fear in a team-mate’s eyes I will slap him and say: ‘Come on,’” the Liverpool centre-half explains. “But when I look in their eyes now, the young lads and the experienced lads, they are full of confidence. We are not in the final without a reason.” Kiev is an opportunity for Real to see how far Liverpool have come.
The Spanish club were the European champions with a forward line of Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema when they handed Lovren and Liverpool a lesson at Anfield in October 2014. The strikers, two of seven Real players that night who could start in Ukraine, both scored as Brendan Rodgers’ team trailed 3-0 by half-time. Liverpool stemmed that onslaught but it was a hugely underwhelming European campaign that is remembered for Rodgers surrendering before the return at the Bernabéu, where he put Philippe Coutinho, Steven Gerrard and Raheem Sterling on the bench in readiness for a league game against Chelsea that also ended in defeat.
From day one up until the final we deserved to be there. Let's make it beautiful until the endContinue reading...
- Tue, 22 May 2018 21:30:06 +0000: Liverpool will be like ‘11 animals’ in Champions League final, says Kroos - Liverpool | The Guardian
• Real Madrid braced to face ‘tough’ and ‘aggressive’ opponents
• Midfielder says Jürgen Klopp sides are always difficult to beat
Toni Kroos says that Real Madrid will face “11 animals” in the Champions League final on Saturday and insists that Liverpool will be “tough,” “aggressive” opponents, prepared to press for 90 minutes but that Madrid will have “opportunities” to win a match he described as “50-50”.Continue reading...
- Tue, 22 May 2018 21:30:05 +0000: Rafael Benítez: ‘Liverpool can do it but they have to manage the pressure’ - Liverpool | The Guardian
Rafael Benítez reflects on his greatest night in Istanbul and says before the final against Real Madrid on Saturday that a sixth European Cup is not beyond the Anfield club
Rafael Benítez has already selected the shirt he intends wearing on Saturday evening. “It’s grey,” says Newcastle United’s manager, deadpan.
Considering that some of the best years of Benítez’s life have been spent representing Liverpool and Real Madrid, publicly choosing red over white, or vice versa, would represent a diplomatic gaffe to make even Boris Johnson blush.
Istanbul changed my life in England. I went to collect my daughters from school and the other kids started singing to meContinue reading...
News Archive Below
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:04:21 +0000: Liverpool reject £11m Moreno bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Liverpool reject an £11m bid from Serie A side Napoli for Alberto Moreno - and will demand £15m for the Spanish defender.
- Sat, 24 Jun 2017 06:20:53 +0000: World Cup winner Arbeloa retires aged 34 - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Former Liverpool, Real Madrid and West Ham defender Alvaro Arbeloa is retiring from football at the age of 34.
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:53:04 +0000: Liverpool complete £34m Salah deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Liverpool complete the 39m euro (£34m) signing of Roma's former Chelsea winger Mohamed Salah, who joins on a five-year deal.
- Fri, 16 Jun 2017 16:07:01 +0000: Rams agree fee with Liverpool for Wisdom - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Derby County agree a deal to sign defender Andre Wisdom from Premier League side Liverpool for an undisclosed fee.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.