The Liverpool Football Club Latest Football News
- Wed, 18 Sep 2019 21:30:12 +0000: Liverpool’s Virgil van Dijk tells team not to panic after Napoli defeat - Liverpool | The Guardian
• Loss in Italy ‘shouldn’t be a wake-up call’
• Defender turns his focus to Chelsea game
Virgil van Dijk has said a Champions League defeat at Napoli is no reason for Liverpool to panic given the outstanding form they have shown before Sunday’s trip to Chelsea.
On Tuesday Liverpool suffered their first defeat since last season’s Champions League semi-final first leg at Barcelona, when two late goals, the first from a controversial penalty, brought a second reverse at Stadio San Paolo inside 11 months. Jürgen Klopp’s team lost all three away group games en route to winning the European Cup last season. But Van Dijk believes it is current form that will preserve Liverpool’s confidence when they head to Stamford Bridge seeking a sixth consecutive Premier League win of the campaign.Continue reading...
- Wed, 18 Sep 2019 09:29:18 +0000: Liverpool fan taken to hospital with head injuries after assault in Naples - Liverpool | The Guardian
• Supporter discharged on Wednesday after all-clear
• Two Liverpool fans attacked by men wielding belts
A Liverpool fan was taken to hospital with head injuries during the team’s Champions League defeat in Naples having been assaulted in a bar hours before kick-off.
Two Liverpool supporters were attacked in the Italian city at around 2pm on Tuesday by a group of men on scooters wielding belts. The pair were treated at the scene but one, a 26-year-old, later collapsed at the Stadio San Paolo and spent the night in hospital. He was discharged on Wednesday morning.Continue reading...
- Wed, 18 Sep 2019 08:00:05 +0000: Jürgen Klopp asks media 'does anyone in the room think it was a penalty?' – video - Liverpool | The Guardian
It was not the ideal start for Liverpool in their bid to defend their Champions League title as they lost 2-0 at Napoli.Continue reading...
The hosts took the lead after a penalty was awarded later in the second half. A decision which Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp disagreed with. 'Does anybody think in the room that it was a penalty after seeing the VAR pictures?' asked Klopp to a packed media room.
Napoli added a second in stoppage time after a rare mistake from Virgil van Dijk was tucked away by former Tottenham striker Fernando Llorente.
- Tue, 17 Sep 2019 22:45:43 +0000: Jürgen Klopp blames dive and VAR for Liverpool’s defeat to Napoli - Liverpool | The Guardian
• Italian side win 2-0 after late penalty award
• ‘I could say a lot of things about it but I’m not a bad loser’
Jürgen Klopp claimed Liverpool were undone by a dive and that video assistant referees remain at the mercy of human error after their Champions League defence started with defeat to Napoli.
Liverpool left back Andy Robertson was adjudged to have fouled José Callejón for the 82nd-minute penalty that turned an open contest in Napoli’s favour. Dries Mertens scored from the spot and an uncharacteristic mistake from Virgil van Dijk enabled Fernando Llorente to seal victory in the final seconds.Continue reading...
- Tue, 17 Sep 2019 22:41:11 +0000: Liverpool might be the best but the rest have done their homework | Barney Ronay - Liverpool | The Guardian
Napoli showed how to play against Jürgen Klopp’s side by looking to exploit the space behind Liverpool’s full-backs
Ils sont les meilleurs! In the buildup to this game Jürgen Klopp had been at pains to play down any suggestion Liverpool came to Naples with an air of wider destiny about them. The notion had been put to the manager that Liverpool are, in a snapshot, the best football team out there: convincing Champions League winners last season and five points clear in the Premier League.
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day and for once Uefa’s cheese-laden anthem – the soundtrack down the years to so much autumn mediocrity – had seemed to strike the right note at the start of this thrillingly full-throttle Group E opener. Sie sind die Besten!Continue reading...
News Archive Below
- Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:04:21 +0000: Liverpool reject £11m Moreno bid - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Liverpool reject an £11m bid from Serie A side Napoli for Alberto Moreno - and will demand £15m for the Spanish defender.
- Sat, 24 Jun 2017 06:20:53 +0000: World Cup winner Arbeloa retires aged 34 - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Former Liverpool, Real Madrid and West Ham defender Alvaro Arbeloa is retiring from football at the age of 34.
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:53:04 +0000: Liverpool complete £34m Salah deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Liverpool complete the 39m euro (£34m) signing of Roma's former Chelsea winger Mohamed Salah, who joins on a five-year deal.
- Fri, 16 Jun 2017 16:07:01 +0000: Rams agree fee with Liverpool for Wisdom - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Derby County agree a deal to sign defender Andre Wisdom from Premier League side Liverpool for an undisclosed fee.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Liverpool | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.