The Liverpool Football Club Latest Football News
- Wed, 14 Apr 2021 07:00:33 +0000: Fede Valverde: ‘You go to take a corner and there’s an animal next to you’ | Sid Lowe - Liverpool | The Guardian
The Real Madrid midfielder on how growing up in Uruguay shaped him as a footballer and facing Liverpool in the return leg
“And they play in black and blue,” Fede Valverde says, “Everton blue.” The Real Madrid midfielder is laughing now. Last week was not, it turns out, the first time he had played against Liverpool; it wasn’t even the first time he had beaten them. That was five years ago: 30 March 2016, Uruguayan clausura, Peñarol v Liverpool Fútbol Club at the Estadio Campeón del Siglo. “There’s a difference, though. They’re not pronounced the same: Uruguay’s is Liverpúl,” he says, stressing the final syllable, before revealing the colours and the score: “One-nil, goal from Carlos Valdez.”
Valverde was 17; within four months, having played 13 games for Peñarol, he had signed for Madrid, heading to another world. A league champion in Spain, he watched on television as 6,166 miles away Liverpool, the name inspired by the ships docking in Montevideo, finished top of the 2020 clausura, the first title in their 106-year history. “They played very well, deserved it. They’re a good club who bring through youth. Their ground’s very nice, the grass is good.”
I had to decide whether to continue studying or play football, as I missed a lot of school. To make it, I had to leaveContinue reading...
- Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:55:05 +0000: We need to be 100% against Real Madrid, Jürgen Klopp tells Liverpool - Liverpool | The Guardian
- Klopp: ‘We cannot just take comebacks for granted’
- Liverpool play at Anfield after losing quarter-final first leg 3-1
Jürgen Klopp has said Liverpool must deliver the perfect performance and not rely on their reputation for rousing Anfield comebacks to overcome Real Madrid in their Champions League quarter-final.
Liverpool require another European recovery to salvage hopes of a third Champions League final in four seasons after last week’s 3-1 defeat in Spain. The second leg takes place on the fifth anniversary of Liverpool’s Europa League quarter-final comeback against Borussia Dortmund, when Dejan Lovren’s stoppage-time header sealed a 5-4 aggregate win after the Reds trailed 4-2 overall in the 66th minute.Continue reading...
- Mon, 12 Apr 2021 07:00:57 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - Liverpool | The Guardian
Rodgers prizes discipline over principle, Martinelli cheers up Arsenal while Guardiola’s reserves let him down
Manchester United are highly familiar with a José Mourinho team riding their luck against them. A key moment in his rise to prominence was Porto’s 2004 triumph at Old Trafford, where Paul Scholes had a goal chalked off for offside. The simmering rage on Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s face when Edinson Cavani’s “opener” was wiped away by VAR echoed Sir Alex Ferguson 17 years ago, and nine years after that when the disputed dismissal of Nani handed Mourinho’s Real Madrid a passage into the Champions League quarter-finals. A United team containing many of Mourinho’s former players will have been familiar with Tottenham’s botched blueprint to stay in touch with the top four. Keeping shape in defence and midfield was the bedrock for the brilliance with which Lucas Moura set up Son Heung-min to score. But unlike those Porto and Madrid teams, this Spurs team does not have the same resilience or quality to exploit good fortune. John BrewinContinue reading...
- Sat, 10 Apr 2021 19:00:14 +0000: Reguilón on for Bergwijn: how José Mourinho blew Spurs’ title charge | Jonathan Wilson - Liverpool | The Guardian
Fear has become the manager’s defining principle and at Anfield a typically defensive substitution was the unravelling
Nine days before Christmas was not really so very long ago, yet it feels like a different world. Manchester City had just been held to a draw at home by West Brom that left them eighth in the Premier League table. Southampton were third. And Tottenham went to the league leaders, Liverpool, knowing that a win would put them top. In the confusing period between the second and third lockdowns, it seemed possible that this slog of a season might just provide an environment in which José Mourinho’s attritional style could thrive.
Yet Spurs host Manchester United on Sunday afternoon having begun the weekend in sixth place and 25 points behind the leaders, City. They have lost eight of their last 18 league games and been bundled out of the FA Cup and the Europa League. Last Sunday, they were outplayed by Newcastle and escaped with a 2-2 draw.
Perhaps it’s come a year earlier than in the Mourinho template, but it’s different players, same coach, same outcomeContinue reading...
- Sat, 10 Apr 2021 18:24:15 +0000: Liverpool can live with Mohamed Salah’s misses but not without his hits | Sachin Nakrani - Liverpool | The Guardian
The forward was wayward in his finishing at times in the win over Aston Villa but his equaliser underlines his importance
With 13 minutes played at Anfield, Mohamed Salah was presented with a chance to score for Liverpool after a glaring error by Tyrone Mings but, with only Emiliano Martínez to beat, he poked his shot wide.
With 51 minutes played at Anfield, Mohamed Salah was presented with a chance to score for Liverpool following a pass by Georginio Wijnaldum but, despite having a reasonable amount of time and space inside the area, he dragged his shot and, via a deflection, saw it dribble out for a corner.Continue reading...
News Archive Below
- Wed, 14 Apr 2021 09:18:14 +0000: Champions League: Name the starting XIs from Liverpool's last win over Real Madrid - BBC Sport
Liverpool host Real Madrid in the Champions League on Wednesday - can you name the starting XIs from the Reds' last win over Real?
- Tue, 13 Apr 2021 22:17:08 +0000: Liverpool v Real Madrid: Champions League quarter-final second leg - BBC Sport
Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool have to be their "best selves" to beat Real Madrid in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final.
- Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:22:47 +0000: Champions League LIVE: Liverpool v Real Madrid & Borussia Dortmund v Man City score, commentary & updates from quarter-final - BBC Sport
Follow live text and BBC Radio 5 Live commentary as Liverpool host Real Madrid and Man City travel to Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League quarter-finals.
- Mon, 12 Apr 2021 22:02:44 +0000: Garth Crooks' team of the week: Johnstone, Alexander-Arnold, Dallas, Lingard, Pulisic, Saint-Maximin - BBC Sport
Who is playing at the top of their game and who should leave out the dance moves? It's all in Garth Crooks' team of the week.
- Sun, 11 Apr 2021 15:03:59 +0000: Steven Gerrard: Rangers manager will be a main contender for Liverpool job - Dalglish - BBC Sport
Former skipper Steven Gerrard will be a main contender to replace Jurgen Klopp when the Liverpool manager departs, says Anfield legend Sir Kenny Dalglish.