Championship latest transfer news for 2017 – 2018 and Beyond
- Wed, 01 Apr 2020 10:00:18 +0000: Hull's Angus MacDonald on surviving cancer: 'I felt there was no way back' - Championship | The Guardian
The defender, ready to return when football stopped, on his journey and learning his girlfriend Alexandra Burke’s dance moves
“In my head that was me hanging my boots up – maybe not right there and then, but I felt like there was no way back for me,” says Angus MacDonald of what in August, at a hospital in Sheffield, he could not help but perceive was the beginning of the end of his football career.
“As soon as the doctor said: ‘You have bowel cancer,’ that was it. I don’t remember too much of the appointment after that. I switched off and went numb. Luckily, I had the physio from the club with me and he took all of the information in because I sat back in my chair staring out of the window thinking: ‘How long have I got?’”Continue reading...
- Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:30:51 +0000: Sadiq Khan urges London's top football clubs to aid NHS and 'protect lives' - Championship | The Guardian
- Mayor asks 10 clubs in capital to assist coronavirus fight
- Help sought from ‘team doctors, physios and paramedics’
The mayor of London has written to every Premier League and Championship club in the capital asking they provide assistance to the NHS in “unprecedented times” amid the fight against coronavirus.
In a letter sent this week, Sadiq Khan asked clubs to provide help in three key areas – access to medical staff, access to stadium facilities and accommodation for NHS workers living away from their families as well as for health and care workers who need easy access to field hospitals.Continue reading...
- Mayor asks 10 clubs in capital to assist coronavirus fight
- Fri, 27 Mar 2020 13:52:21 +0000: James McClean fined by Stoke over balaclava 'history lesson' post - Championship | The Guardian
- McClean fined two weeks’ wages and deletes Instagram account
- Player apologises for posting ‘ill-advised and offensive’ picture
James McClean has been fined two weeks’ wages by Stoke City after his club took a dim view of an “inappropriate social media post” on Instagram.Continue reading...
- Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:00:29 +0000: Marching on together: Bielsa and Leeds show team spirit as wait goes on - Championship | The Guardian
The manager, squad and coaching staff have accepted wage deferrals to help others as football takes a back seat
The plinth supporting the landmark statue of Billy Bremner outside Elland Road bears a simple, yet evocative, message. “Side before self, every time,” it declares, reminding everyone of the former Leeds United captain’s personal mantra.
In a very different way and a very different context, Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds are now showing they are every bit as big on teamwork as the trophy-hoarding, no-quarter-given Don Revie side Bremner led with such a memorable mixture of finesse and ferocity.Continue reading...
- Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:54:03 +0000: Birmingham City ask players to take 50% pay cut during coronavirus crisis - Championship | The Guardian
- Request made to those earning £6,000 per week or more
- League clubs seek to navigate financial crunch
- Coronavirus – latest updates | See all our coronavirus coverage
Birmingham City have become the first Championship club to ask their players to take wage deferrals amid the coronavirus pandemic. Players earning more than £6,000 a week at St Andrew’s have been asked to take a 50% cut in their salary for the next four months it is understood.Continue reading...
Archived News for the Championship has been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:08:35 +0000: Burton announce Flanagan departure - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Burton Albion announce that defender Tom Flanagan is to leave the club, despite having "verbally agreed" a new deal.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:17:38 +0000: Leeds United buy back Elland Road - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Championship side Leeds United buy back their Elland Road ground, 13 years after selling it.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:08:39 +0000: Bond reunited with Redknapp at Birmingham - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Birmingham City appoint Kevin Bond as Harry Redknapp's number two - the fifth time they have worked together.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:03:41 +0000: Ipswich sign Cardiff midfielder Huws - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Ipswich Town sign midfielder Emyr Huws from Championship rivals Cardiff City, while goalkeeper Dean Gerken agrees a new deal.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
Today has seen the signing of young striker Charlie Strutton for struggling side AFC Wimbledon after he had impressed Terry Brown whilst on a three week trial earlier in the year. Barnsley have today signed winger David Cotterill on a free transfer which could see the player making his debut for the club this weekend.
Championship top dogs West Ham have today sealed the double signing of Ravel Morrison from Manchester United as well as Ricardo Vaz Te from Barnsley. The young starlet ravel Morrison is believed to have attracted a lot of interest from some of Europe’s biggest clubs such as Barcelona, Roma and Paris St Germain but has decided to stay in the English divisions.
Vaz Te has had an extremely good season so far with the Portuguese striker already netting ten times for former club Barnsley.
Sussex club Brighton have completed the signing of two Manchester City players on loan until the end of the season which again cemented the up and coming clubs ambition to gain entry into the premier league. The club has signed Abdul Razak and Gai Assulin who are both midfielders who have failed to break through into the first team at Manchester City. On another plus side for the Sussex club their influential winger craig Noone has committed his future to the club stating he is more than happy at the seagulls amid speculation that he could be joining Cardiff City in the summer after the Welsh club had a £1.2 million offer turned down by Gus Poyet in January.
Cardiff Cities formidable striker has today stated that he would indeed be extremely happy to extend his loan spell at league one side Scunthorpe United with the striker claiming he prefers life at the club. Cardiff winger Peter Whttingham has today stated that he is convinced he made the correct decision to commit himself to the Welsh club amid speculation that he could have joined West Ham during the January transfer window.
Richard Keogh has again reinforced his commitment to Coventry City by stating he would be more than happy to open contract negotiations with the club before the end of the season. This will be great news for manager Andy Thorn as he is already looking to bolster his squad for next season and would have thought of it as a detrimental loss to have lost Keogh for next season.
Ben reeves has today made his switch from Southampton to league two team Dagenham & Redbridge on a twelve month loan deal. Southampton have also gladly received back today forward Ryan Doyle from his loan spell at Bury and the influential forward is more than happy to be back.
Leeds United new boy boss Neil Warnock has today signed the Portsmouth forward Danny Webber on a deal that will see him at the club until the end of the season. Warnock has today also stated that he will have to wait until the end of the season before he can make any new moves for players until he assesses the financial situation. James Harper has today completed his move to Wycombe from title chasing league one team Hull City on a short term loan deal which will see him remain for just over a month.
Hull City have finally completed an interesting and what they hope will be a extremely beneficial loan deal for Joshua King. The Manchester united starlet will remain with the side until the end of the season with the possibility of extending it past that date.