Championship latest transfer news for 2017 – 2018 and Beyond
- Mon, 15 Jan 2018 00:01:40 +0000: Aston Villa’s Scott Hogan sends confident message to Steve Bruce - Championship | The Guardian
• Striker says his form means manager does not need to buy another forward
• Scott Hogan excels in No 9 role at Nottingham Forest as Villa target second
Buoyed by the confidence a striker feels from goals in successive league games, Scott Hogan believes Steve Bruce would be wasting his money buying a centre-forward. Despite Jonathan Kodjia being ruled out for the season with injury, the former Brentford striker is convinced he can score the goals to lead Aston Villa to promotion.
“I know I can, I believe I can,” Hogan said. “I will tell the manager: ‘Don’t bother. If you want to go and get someone, go on. But he isn’t going to play because I will keep my place. I ain’t giving it up now.’”Continue reading...
- Sat, 13 Jan 2018 20:30:41 +0000: Scott Hogan strike spoils Aitor Karanka’s start with Nottingham Forest - Championship | The Guardian
Nottingham Forest have had 11 full-time managers since Aston Villa last opened a calendar year with successive wins in 2009, testimony to how these former European Cup-winning clubs have struggled to get even close to returning to past glories, but Scott Hogan’s winner enabled Villa to climb stealthily up to fourth place in the Championship and deflate Aitor Karanka’s bow in the east Midlands.
Steve Bruce is content for Villa to be in the mix, five points behind second-placed Derby County, as his authoritative side made it three league wins in a row without conceding, too controlled for an inexperienced Forest team. “That’s what I’ve banked on, the experience and the knowhow,” the Villa manager said. “Firstly, you need to be able to handle playing for Aston Villa, and then to cope when the real tickly bit starts, when the daffodils and the tulips start appearing. We’re only fourth, but we’re in the mix.”Continue reading...
- Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:07:38 +0000: Football League: Doncaster's Ferguson rages at 'disgusting' refereeing standards - Championship | The Guardian
- Ferguson says referee missed ‘blatant penalty’ against Plymouth
- Championship leaders Wolves are held as Derby see off Birmingham
• A sixth win in eight matches for Gary Rowett’s Derby County ensured they remain second in the table. As integral to their hopes of promotion as Rowett is striker Matej Vydra, who bagged his 15th goal this term – three times as many as he mustered last season – in a 3-0 win over lowly Birmingham. As for Wolves, they were forced to settle for a draw at Oakwell. Diego Jota struck the bar for the visitors while Barnsley introduced £750,000 recruit Kieffer Moore off the bench, but they played out a stalemate.Continue reading...
- Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:28:17 +0000: Cardiff run riot as they return to winning ways against 10-man Sunderland - Championship | The Guardian
Cardiff City got their promotion push firmly back on track after clinching a first win in five matches by comfortably dispatching 10-man Sunderland on home turf, courtesy of a second-half double from Callum Paterson and a sweet Joe Ralls strike before Anthony Pilkington completed the rout in stoppage time.
For Chris Coleman, it was a miserable return to Wales. Coleman enjoyed plenty of special moments at the Cardiff City Stadium during a six-year reign as Wales manager which ended when he took over Sunderland in November.Continue reading...
- Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:02:06 +0000: Sheffield United held to goalless draw by Wednesday in Steel City derby - Championship | The Guardian
Jos Luhukay made a moderately successful start to his tenure at Sheffield Wednesday, with his struggling Owls side holding on for a 0-0 draw at their Steel City neighbours United, despite being reduced to 10 men midway through the second half.
The former Stuttgart and Hertha Berlin manager was a surprise appointment as successor to Carlos Carvalhal and was handed the toughest possible start to his tenure – an away trip to Wednesday’s city rivals, who had left Hillsborough with a 4-2 win in September.Continue reading...
Archived News for the Championship has been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:08:35 +0000: Burton announce Flanagan departure - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Burton Albion announce that defender Tom Flanagan is to leave the club, despite having "verbally agreed" a new deal.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:17:38 +0000: Leeds United buy back Elland Road - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Championship side Leeds United buy back their Elland Road ground, 13 years after selling it.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:08:39 +0000: Bond reunited with Redknapp at Birmingham - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Birmingham City appoint Kevin Bond as Harry Redknapp's number two - the fifth time they have worked together.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:03:41 +0000: Ipswich sign Cardiff midfielder Huws - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Ipswich Town sign midfielder Emyr Huws from Championship rivals Cardiff City, while goalkeeper Dean Gerken agrees a new deal.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
Today has seen the signing of young striker Charlie Strutton for struggling side AFC Wimbledon after he had impressed Terry Brown whilst on a three week trial earlier in the year. Barnsley have today signed winger David Cotterill on a free transfer which could see the player making his debut for the club this weekend.
Championship top dogs West Ham have today sealed the double signing of Ravel Morrison from Manchester United as well as Ricardo Vaz Te from Barnsley. The young starlet ravel Morrison is believed to have attracted a lot of interest from some of Europe’s biggest clubs such as Barcelona, Roma and Paris St Germain but has decided to stay in the English divisions.
Vaz Te has had an extremely good season so far with the Portuguese striker already netting ten times for former club Barnsley.
Sussex club Brighton have completed the signing of two Manchester City players on loan until the end of the season which again cemented the up and coming clubs ambition to gain entry into the premier league. The club has signed Abdul Razak and Gai Assulin who are both midfielders who have failed to break through into the first team at Manchester City. On another plus side for the Sussex club their influential winger craig Noone has committed his future to the club stating he is more than happy at the seagulls amid speculation that he could be joining Cardiff City in the summer after the Welsh club had a £1.2 million offer turned down by Gus Poyet in January.
Cardiff Cities formidable striker has today stated that he would indeed be extremely happy to extend his loan spell at league one side Scunthorpe United with the striker claiming he prefers life at the club. Cardiff winger Peter Whttingham has today stated that he is convinced he made the correct decision to commit himself to the Welsh club amid speculation that he could have joined West Ham during the January transfer window.
Richard Keogh has again reinforced his commitment to Coventry City by stating he would be more than happy to open contract negotiations with the club before the end of the season. This will be great news for manager Andy Thorn as he is already looking to bolster his squad for next season and would have thought of it as a detrimental loss to have lost Keogh for next season.
Ben reeves has today made his switch from Southampton to league two team Dagenham & Redbridge on a twelve month loan deal. Southampton have also gladly received back today forward Ryan Doyle from his loan spell at Bury and the influential forward is more than happy to be back.
Leeds United new boy boss Neil Warnock has today signed the Portsmouth forward Danny Webber on a deal that will see him at the club until the end of the season. Warnock has today also stated that he will have to wait until the end of the season before he can make any new moves for players until he assesses the financial situation. James Harper has today completed his move to Wycombe from title chasing league one team Hull City on a short term loan deal which will see him remain for just over a month.
Hull City have finally completed an interesting and what they hope will be a extremely beneficial loan deal for Joshua King. The Manchester united starlet will remain with the side until the end of the season with the possibility of extending it past that date.