Championship latest transfer news for 2017 – 2018 and Beyond
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:44:04 +0000: Marcelo Bielsa sets modest target for first season as Leeds manager - Championship | The Guardian
• Argentinian cited as big influence by Pep Guardiola
• On Leeds: ‘Not a great idea to make big statements of intent’
Marcelo Bielsa did not make any rash promises on being installed as Leeds United’s 21st managerial rethink since dropping out of the Premier League 14 years ago, though he did come up with a vote of confidence for his native Argentina at the World Cup.
“I think we’ll see the best of Argentina from the next game onwards,” the former manager of Athletic Bilbao and Marseille said. Bielsa confessed he might not be the best person to judge, given that when he was in charge of Argentina in 2002 when the side did not make it out of the group stage, but he sent his best wishes to the squad currently struggling in Russia.Continue reading...
- Thu, 21 Jun 2018 08:50:57 +0000: Football League fixtures: Lampard's Derby kick off season at Reading - Championship | The Guardian
- Marcelo Bielsa and Leeds host Stoke City in opener
- Villa start at Steve Bruce’s former side Hull City
Frank Lampard’s first competitive game as Derby manager will kick-off the Championship campaign. The former England midfielder, who took over at the Rams three weeks ago, takes his team to Reading on Friday 3 August.
Derby also figured in the opening game of the 2017-18 campaign, drawing 1-1 at Sunderland. They went on to finish sixth but lost out to promoted Fulham in the play-offs, with Gary Rowett since leaving to join Stoke following their relegation from the Premier League.Continue reading...
- Fri, 15 Jun 2018 08:10:56 +0000: Leeds United confirm appointment of Marcelo Bielsa as head coach - Championship | The Guardian
• Former Argentina manager appointed on initial two-year deal
• Leeds face Bolton, Derby go to Oldham in Carabao Cup draw
Marcelo Bielsa has insisted it was “impossible to turn down” Leeds after the Argentian was confirmed on Friday as the Championship club’s new head coach on an initial two‑year contract.
After weeks of negotiations with the club’s chairman, Andrea Radrizzani, the former Argentina manager has agreed a deal until 2020 with the option of extending it by a further year. Bielsa replaces Paul Heckingbottom, who was sacked this month.
Marcelo Bielsa's last two managerial appointments – at Lazio and Lille – lasted just 15 games in total, and he Leeds's 11th manager since Simon Grayson departed in 2012.
Rotherham v Wigan, Tranmere v Walsall, Crewe v Fleetwood, Scunthorpe v Doncaster, Macclesfield v Bradford, Grimsby v Rochdale, Sheffield United v Hull, Nottingham Forest v Bury,Continue reading...
Middlesbrough v Notts County, Sunderland v Sheffield Wednesday,
Leeds v Bolton, Carlisle v Blackburn, Mansfield v Accrington
Port Vale v Lincoln, Preston v Morecambe, Oldham v Derby
Shrewsbury v Burton, Blackpool v Barnsley, Millwall v Gillingham
Portsmouth v Wimbledon, Cheltenham v Colchester,
Yeovil v Aston Villa, Southend v Brentford, Reading v Birmingham
Wycombe v Northampton, Swindon v Forest Green,
Norwich v Stevenage, Exeter v Ipswich, MK Dons v Charlton
West Brom v Luton, Bristol Rovers v Crawley, Bristol City v Plymouth, Cambridge v Newport, QPR v Peterborough, Oxford v Coventry
- Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:22:20 +0000: Leeds on course to appoint Marcelo Bielsa as new head coach - Championship | The Guardian
• Former Argentina manager in talks over post
• Leeds expected to make imminent announcement
Leeds remain on course to appoint the former Argentina manager Marcelo Bielsa as the club’s new head coach.
Bielsa, 62, who has also had a spell in charge of Chile, has been Leeds’s top target since Paul Heckingbottom was sacked this month.Continue reading...
- Thu, 07 Jun 2018 12:50:29 +0000: Aston Villa reach agreement with HMRC over £4m tax bill - Championship | The Guardian
• Villa pay £500,000 with £1.2m expected by the end of week
• Xia admits it has been ‘a very difficult’ two weeks
Aston Villa have reached an agreement with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs over a £4m tax bill.
The agreement will allow the club, who missed out on a Premier League return after losing to Fulham in the play-off final at Wembley, to continue day-to-day operations.Continue reading...
Archived News for the Championship has been added below:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:08:35 +0000: Burton announce Flanagan departure - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Burton Albion announce that defender Tom Flanagan is to leave the club, despite having "verbally agreed" a new deal.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:17:38 +0000: Leeds United buy back Elland Road - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Championship side Leeds United buy back their Elland Road ground, 13 years after selling it.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:08:39 +0000: Bond reunited with Redknapp at Birmingham - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Birmingham City appoint Kevin Bond as Harry Redknapp's number two - the fifth time they have worked together.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:03:41 +0000: Ipswich sign Cardiff midfielder Huws - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Ipswich Town sign midfielder Emyr Huws from Championship rivals Cardiff City, while goalkeeper Dean Gerken agrees a new deal.
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Sky Bet Championship | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
Today has seen the signing of young striker Charlie Strutton for struggling side AFC Wimbledon after he had impressed Terry Brown whilst on a three week trial earlier in the year. Barnsley have today signed winger David Cotterill on a free transfer which could see the player making his debut for the club this weekend.
Championship top dogs West Ham have today sealed the double signing of Ravel Morrison from Manchester United as well as Ricardo Vaz Te from Barnsley. The young starlet ravel Morrison is believed to have attracted a lot of interest from some of Europe’s biggest clubs such as Barcelona, Roma and Paris St Germain but has decided to stay in the English divisions.
Vaz Te has had an extremely good season so far with the Portuguese striker already netting ten times for former club Barnsley.
Sussex club Brighton have completed the signing of two Manchester City players on loan until the end of the season which again cemented the up and coming clubs ambition to gain entry into the premier league. The club has signed Abdul Razak and Gai Assulin who are both midfielders who have failed to break through into the first team at Manchester City. On another plus side for the Sussex club their influential winger craig Noone has committed his future to the club stating he is more than happy at the seagulls amid speculation that he could be joining Cardiff City in the summer after the Welsh club had a £1.2 million offer turned down by Gus Poyet in January.
Cardiff Cities formidable striker has today stated that he would indeed be extremely happy to extend his loan spell at league one side Scunthorpe United with the striker claiming he prefers life at the club. Cardiff winger Peter Whttingham has today stated that he is convinced he made the correct decision to commit himself to the Welsh club amid speculation that he could have joined West Ham during the January transfer window.
Richard Keogh has again reinforced his commitment to Coventry City by stating he would be more than happy to open contract negotiations with the club before the end of the season. This will be great news for manager Andy Thorn as he is already looking to bolster his squad for next season and would have thought of it as a detrimental loss to have lost Keogh for next season.
Ben reeves has today made his switch from Southampton to league two team Dagenham & Redbridge on a twelve month loan deal. Southampton have also gladly received back today forward Ryan Doyle from his loan spell at Bury and the influential forward is more than happy to be back.
Leeds United new boy boss Neil Warnock has today signed the Portsmouth forward Danny Webber on a deal that will see him at the club until the end of the season. Warnock has today also stated that he will have to wait until the end of the season before he can make any new moves for players until he assesses the financial situation. James Harper has today completed his move to Wycombe from title chasing league one team Hull City on a short term loan deal which will see him remain for just over a month.
Hull City have finally completed an interesting and what they hope will be a extremely beneficial loan deal for Joshua King. The Manchester united starlet will remain with the side until the end of the season with the possibility of extending it past that date.