West Ham United Latest Team News for 2017 – 2018
- Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:14:54 +0000: When should a football club retire a player's shirt number? - West Ham United | The Guardian
Moore, Baggio, Maradona, Maldini and ‘the 12th man’ have all been given the honour but is it really a sign of weakness?
Not long ago I was speaking to some Napoli fans about Lorenzo Insigne. He was born in Naples, signed for the club aged 15 and has been running up the wing at the Stadio San Paolo for nearly a decade. I put it to the supporters that, if Insigne helped the club go one better than the second-place finish they achieved in Serie A last season and Napoli finally won their third league title, it might be fitting to reward him with a new squad number. The club retired Diego Maradona’s No 10 shirt after he inspired them to two league titles in 1987 and 1990. If anyone deserved the honour of bringing it out of retirement, surely it would be local boy Insigne?
The Napoli fans responded with an unequivocal “no”. It was nothing against Insigne, they said, but rather the simple acknowledgment that no one ever will deserve the No 10 shirt because no one will ever be Maradona. Insigne will have to stick with the No 24 – his wife’s birth date.Continue reading...
- Wed, 14 Nov 2018 06:30:08 +0000: Marko Arnautovic may leave West Ham to pursue Champions League dream - West Ham United | The Guardian
• Austrian forward wants to compete with the best players
• ‘I’m 29, so that’s the best age,’ he tells Austrian newspaper
Marko Arnautovic has admitted he is ready to leave West Ham to play in the Champions League, with the Austria forward determined to compete at the highest level possible before his career is over.
Arnautovic, who moved to east London in the summer of 2017 from Stoke for a then club record fee worth up to £25m, has been in outstanding form since being handed a more central role by former manager David Moyes last season, and scored 11 Premier League goals last term. He has continued to impress this season having already found the net five times in 10 matches despite West Ham’s early struggles under Manuel Pellegrini.Continue reading...
- Tue, 13 Nov 2018 19:00:14 +0000: From Craig Cathcart to André Gomes: 10 underrated Premier League players - West Ham United | The Guardian
Underrated they may be but from the Premier League’s unsung heroes are quietly going about their business
Nomination for the October player of the month award (well, one of them – he made the PFA’s shortlist, but not the official Premier League-endorsed version) showed that Duffy’s sterling performances are being noticed. Since being named man of the match in the 3-2 win over Manchester United in August, the 6ft 3in centre-back has been vital to Brighton’s good form, scoring vital goals against United and Southampton and being responsible for more clearances (96) and more clearances off the line (two) than any other top-flight player. The five-year contract he signed last month was reward for his efforts.Continue reading...
- Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:55:59 +0000: Samir Nasri faces fitness battle to make West Ham move after doping ban - West Ham United | The Guardian
• Midfielder must satisfy concerns before signing short-term deal
• West Ham reinstate academy coach but give him final warning
The former Arsenal and Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri could be set for a return to the Premier League – if he can convince West Ham of his fitness following his doping ban.
Nasri, who played under the West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini at City, was pencilled in for a medical but would have to satisfy doubts over his fitness before signing the six-month deal on the table which also includes an option to extend his stay.Continue reading...
- Mon, 12 Nov 2018 08:13:30 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - West Ham United | The Guardian
Hugo Lloris ends his madcap day on a high, Everton work out how to stop Chelsea and Salomón Rondón proves his worth
Unai Emery delivered an overdue update on Danny Welbeck, the Arsenal striker who was stricken against Sporting in the Europa League last Thursday. Welbeck, the manager reported, underwent surgery last Friday to repair his badly broken ankle and he will be out for some time. With Welbeck’s contract due to expire at the end of the season, has he played his final game for the club? Emery had more pressing matters with his strikers against Wolves and he made a tactical change at half‑time, switching from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-1-2 in order to allow Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to come in from the flank and partner Alexandre Lacazette up front. In the first half, Aubameyang had routinely drifted inside from the left. He did not look comfortable in that role. Arsenal would improve to draw 1-1. Is it the best use of Aubameyang’s talents to play him off the wing? David HytnerContinue reading...
The West Ham News Archives are as follows:
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 15:26:51 +0000: Ex-England midfielder Parker retires - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Ex-England, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker announces his retirement from football.
- Sat, 24 Jun 2017 06:20:53 +0000: World Cup winner Arbeloa retires aged 34 - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Former Liverpool, Real Madrid and West Ham defender Alvaro Arbeloa is retiring from football at the age of 34.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:55:41 +0000: West Ham's Oxford joins Gladbach - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
West Ham defender Reece Oxford joins German side Borussia Monchengladbach on a season-long loan deal.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 06:59:41 +0000: Man Utd top football rich list - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about West Ham United | BBC
Manchester United overtake Real Madrid as the world's most valuable football team, according to business magazine Forbes.