The Latest Southampton FC Transfer News for 2017 – 2018
- Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:09:56 +0000: Aston Villa to sign Wesley Moraes from Club Bruges for club record £22m - Southampton | The Guardian
• Brazilian striker to join subject to work permit
• Southampton secure signing of Moussa Djenepo for £14m
Aston Villa have announced the signing of Brazilian striker Wesley Moraes from Club Bruges for what is understood to be a club record fee of £22m.
Villa confirmed on Thursday that they have reached agreement with the Belgium side subject to a work permit and international clearance. The 22-year-old’s fee eclipses the £18m Villa paid to sign Darren Bent from Sunderland in 2011.Continue reading...
- Wed, 12 Jun 2019 14:24:15 +0000: Bob Higgins jailed for 24 years for abusing young footballers - Southampton | The Guardian
Survivors say questions remain as to how youth coach sexually abused 24 players over 25 years
Victims of the football coach Bob Higgins, who is beginning a 24-year jail term for abusing schoolboy players, have said there are still many questions to be answered about why he was able to evade justice for three decades.
Survivors called on high-profile players and managers who worked with Higgins at Southampton FC to explain what they knew of his offending and claimed that by remaining quiet they continued to protect him.Continue reading...
- Tue, 11 Jun 2019 14:07:51 +0000: Bob Higgins: victims reveal impact of abuse by football coach - Southampton | The Guardian
Court told of decades of anguish and shame after abuse by former youth team coach
Victims of the former Southampton FC and Peterborough United junior football coach Bob Higgins have branded him a monster who stole their innocence and wrecked their dreams by grooming and sexually abusing them.
At the start of his sentencing hearing at Winchester crown court, victim after victim testified that they had suffered decades of mental health problems because of Higgins’s crimes and expressed anger, shame and guilt at what had happened to them.Continue reading...
- Fri, 24 May 2019 14:43:20 +0000: Bob Higgins victim: 'I looked him in the eyes and took back the power' - Southampton | The Guardian
Former footballer believes the convicted abuser colluded with Kit Carson at Peterborough
A former youth footballer who says he was abused by two football coaches in the 1990s has spoken of his struggle with anxiety and depression, and strongly criticised the police and footballing authorities for not taking action against the coaches earlier.
The ex-player believes Bob Higgins, who has been convicted of indecently assaulting 24 junior footballers, and Kit Carson, who died in a car crash on the morning of his abuse trial earlier this year, colluded over his abuse.Continue reading...
- Thu, 23 May 2019 16:18:21 +0000: 'The FA didn't stop him': The long road to justice for Bob Higgins' abuse victims - Southampton | The Guardian
Cultivation of father-figure role allowed coach to get away with sexual abuse of boys for decades
Bob Higgins was the star-maker, the super-coach. He worked with the likes of the former England great Alan Shearer, the Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier and the ex-Chelsea skipper Dennis Wise when they were promising juniors, hungry for success.
He was admired – loved is not too strong – by the impressionable schoolboys who believed he was the gatekeeper to the world of football. They were “Bob’s boys”, hanging on his every word, following him around Pied Piper-like.Continue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:56:31 +0000: Pellegrino appointed Southampton manager - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton appoint Mauricio Pellegrino as their new manager, with the 45-year-old former Alaves boss replacing Claude Puel.
- Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:42:32 +0000: Southampton sack manager Puel - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Southampton sack boss Claude Puel after one season in charge, when they finished eighth in the Premier League and reached the League Cup final.
- Wed, 14 Jun 2017 08:00:05 +0000: Premier League fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Find out your club's full fixture list for the 2017-18 Premier League season.
- Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:24:39 +0000: Barnsley sign Saints defender McCarthy - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Barnsley sign Southampton defender Jason McCarthy for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal.
- Wed, 07 Jun 2017 18:20:44 +0000: Liverpool end interest in Van Dijk - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Southampton | BBC
Liverpool apologise to Southampton over "any misunderstanding" and end their interest in defender Virgil van Dijk.
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins has been a busy man in the transfer market this summer as he looks to reinforce his squad for the start of next season after a great run which saw them promoted to the English top flight via the play offs. Adkins is now desperate to bring in new names to the club so that he can secure their position in the top flight for another season at least.
The first signing of the summer sees promising young full back Nathaniel Clyne arrive at St Mary`s from Crystal Palace after the promise of the clubs plans to attempt to quality for Europe this season were very enticing for the player. Southampton though will need to pay a large compensation fee to his current club if the deal goes through as due to the players age his former club feel they are due some type of payment from the saints after he signed a new four year deal last week.
Another player who has just be signed by the club is talented striker Jay Rodriguez after he recently arrived from Burnley for a fee which is believed to be around the six and a half million pounds mark. Adkins has long been an admirer of the player and is extremely happy with the signing which he sees as just perfect to bolster his attacking line for next season.
A shocking bit of news right now for Southampton is the fact that their attempts to bring defender Alexander Buttner to St Mary`s may be in tatters after his current club Vitesse Arnham have halted the move after another club have come into the frame for the players signature. Southampton may now find themselves in a bidding war for the player who they see as a perfect addition to their squad so as of now all dealings over the player have hit a premature halt.