Manchester United Latest News
- Sat, 23 Sep 2017 20:33:32 +0000: Manchester United liaise with police to identify fans over Romelu Lukaku chant - Manchester United | The Guardian
• Away supporters repeat offensive chant despite player’s request to stop
• United and Kick It Out issue strongly-worded statements over chant
Manchester United are liaising with Hampshire police and Southampton in an attempt to identify supporters who ignored an appeal not to sing an offensive chant about Romelu Lukaku after the Belgian striker scored the only goal of the game at St Mary’s.
Swathes of the away support in the stadium sang the song in the aftermath of Lukaku’s goal, and followed it up with: “We’re Man United, we’ll sing what we want.” That was despite Kick It Out, United and Lukaku having urged fans not to indulge in the chant. José Mourinho suggested he had not heard the chant, and described the substantial away support as “amazing”.Continue reading...
- Sat, 23 Sep 2017 18:09:57 +0000: This is just the start, says Mourinho after Manchester United win again – video - Manchester United | The Guardian
José Mourinho insists it is ‘just the start’ after Manchester United’s win at Southampton on Saturday, the club’s fifth in six league games so far this season. Romelu Lukalu scored the only goal of the game as United ran out 1-0 winners on the south coastContinue reading...
- Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:11:49 +0000: Romelu Lukaku strike enough to give Manchester United win at Southampton - Manchester United | The Guardian
José Mourinho ended up being sent to the stands in stoppage time, though this was still the kind of victory to make him purr. Manchester United are enjoying their best start to a campaign in six years even if a contest they had initially threatened to dominate, bullying their hosts into submission, went on to become a far sterner test of their resilience. Southampton rallied impressively after the interval and it was the visitors who were left clinging on, though their manager will still have delighted in rugged success.
Mourinho has always valued wins that have to be chiselled out and orchestrated shrewdly from the bench. He had flung on Chris Smalling and resorted to a back five before the end in an attempt to contain the hosts, Mauricio Pellegrino having exhausted his own team’s firepower from the bench. Even Fraser Forster ventured upfield at a set-piece while Mourinho was still shaking the hands of Southampton’s coaching staff having been sent to the stands, apparently for encroaching on to the pitch.Continue reading...
- Fri, 22 Sep 2017 21:47:01 +0000: José Mourinho says ‘happiness’ is key to Anthony Martial’s upturn in form - Manchester United | The Guardian
• Manchester United manager praises forward’s ‘great improvement’
• Mourinho sidesteps questions over Romelu Lukaku chant controversy
José Mourinho believes Anthony Martial’s impressive start to the season is because the Manchester United forward is far happier than he was last term.
The 21-year-old has scored four times in seven appearances, half of his total of eight last season. Martial has managed the tally despite starting only three times.Continue reading...
- Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:41:52 +0000: Tyrone Mings: ‘It was an accident – there’s no way I meant to stamp on Zlatan’ - Manchester United | The Guardian
Bournemouth defender, who has learned to deal with setbacks, recalls the moment he lost his Mother Teresa tag and the social media consequences
Tyrone Mings is casting his mind back to that notorious flashpoint with Zlatan Ibrahimovic last season and considering whether he thinks the public perception of him has changed. “Probably, because I’d always been seen as sort of the Mother Teresa of football,” Mings says, breaking into laughter. “Everybody had such a charitable perception of me through things that I’d done to not really aim to give myself that tag. So as soon as that happened, I was given so many other labels, mainly from Man United fans via social media, but also via the pundits who were on Sky Sports at the time. I don’t think their comments helped.”
Mings, to be clear, is not moaning or seeking sympathy – that is not his style. An affable and gregarious character, the Bournemouth defender is full of positive energy and walks into the home dressing room for this interview in a way that betrays no sign of the news he is about to share concerning an injury blow. A meeting with a back specialist the day before saw him diagnosed with a potentially serious problem, ruling him out for a couple of months, just when he had hoped to kick on after signing a new four-year contract. “What can you do?” Mings says, shrugging his shoulders.
Related: Everton v Bournemouth: match previewContinue reading...
The News Archives can be viewed below
- Tue, 27 Jun 2017 21:33:15 +0000: Rooney future 'could clog up pre-season' - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester United | BBC
Wayne Rooney's future needs to be resolved to stop it "clogging up" Manchester United's pre-season, says Gary Neville.
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:44:33 +0000: Preston sign Manchester United's Harrop - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester United | BBC
Preston North End to sign Josh Harrop on a four-year deal when his Manchester United contract expires on 3 July.
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:36:49 +0000: Fabinho would be 'tempted' by Man Utd - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester United | BBC
Monaco midfielder Fabinho would be tempted by a move to Manchester United, who have strengthened their backroom staff.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 23:00:45 +0000: 'Shocking that Man Utd do not have women's team' - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester United | BBC
Ex-England keeper Rachel Brown-Finnis on what Man Utd are missing out on as the biggest club in the world without a women's team.
- Tue, 20 Jun 2017 22:15:32 +0000: Man Utd cleared in £89.3m Pogba deal - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Manchester United | BBC
Manchester United are cleared by Fifa of wrongdoing in the £89.3m deal to sign Paul Pogba last year, but Juventus face charges.