The Latest Aston Villa FC Transfer News, Stories and Updates have been added below for 2017 – 2018
- Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:01:07 +0000: ‘A great addition’: Aston Villa seal record signing of Norwich’s Emiliano Buendía - Aston Villa | The Guardian
- Midfielder joins for Villa record £30m plus add-ons
- Dean Smith describes Buendía as ‘an exciting signing’
Aston Villa have confirmed the signing of the midfielder Emiliano Buendía from Norwich for a club record £30m plus add-ons that could take the fee to £40m.
Buendía was Norwich’s player of the season as they won the Championship last season, scoring 15 goals and registering 16 assists. He has signed a five-year deal after completing his medical and finalising terms following Argentina’s World Cup qualifier against Colombia.Continue reading...
- Sun, 06 Jun 2021 12:00:38 +0000: Aston Villa set to make move for Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse - Aston Villa | The Guardian
- Midfielder has become renowned for set-piece prowess
- Villa already agreed club-record fee for Emiliano Buendía
Aston Villa are set to make a move for Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse, a day after agreeing a club-record £30m-plus deal to sign Emiliano Buendía from Norwich. Dean Smith is eager to complete transfers as quickly as possible as Villa prepare for another season of progress in the Premier League.
Villa are understood to be keen to bolster their midfield and Ward-Prowse’s set-piece prowess, in particular, would boost their attacking armoury. That would prove especially useful if opponents continue to bring down Jack Grealish, who has been the most fouled player in the Premier League for each of the last two seasons – despite missing 12 league matches with a shin injury last season.Continue reading...
- Sat, 05 Jun 2021 17:38:32 +0000: Aston Villa agree £30m deal for Norwich midfielder Emiliano Buendía - Aston Villa | The Guardian
- Buendía has a medical in Argentina
- Add-ons could take the total fee paid to £40m
Aston Villa are to set to make Emiliano Buendía their record signing after Norwich accepted a bid of £30m plus add-ons that could take the final fee to £40m.
The midfielder, who received his first Argentina call-up last month, was the outstanding player in the Championship last season as his goals and assists helped Norwich return to the Premier League at the first attempt.Continue reading...
- Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:30:21 +0000: Owners determined to turn Aston Villa into elite club, says Dean Smith - Aston Villa | The Guardian
- Villa have long-term plan to compete in ‘upper echelons’
- Club want to ‘emulate and surpass’ Leicester’s progress
Dean Smith has laid out Aston Villa’s ambition to challenge at the top of the Premier League, saying his team can take inspiration from Leicester City as they aim to disrupt the top flight’s established order. Without suggesting that they will joust for Champions League qualification as early as next season, Smith says he and the club’s owners are committed to keeping Villa on an upward trajectory until they achieve their goal.
Villa enjoyed three sixth-place finishes in a row under Martin O’Neill between 2008 and 2010 but could not break into the top four before the club’s then owner, Randy Lerner, lost enthusiasm for the project. Smith says the current owners – the billionaire businessmen Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, who took control in 2018 – have the power and patience to make Villa elite.Continue reading...
- Thu, 03 Jun 2021 12:56:41 +0000: Nessun Dorma podcast: a look back at Keegan, Cruyff and Bobby Robson - Aston Villa | The Guardian
The show about 1980s and 1990s football also discuss Villa’s glory days, Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle and the 1993-94 season
The football season has rumbled to a conclusion and so has Nessun Dorma, your monthly, long-form hit of 1980s and 1990s football nostalgia. This season we have been looking back at Kevin Keegan’s time as England manager, Aston Villa’s glory years, one of the greatest games in Premier League history, the final day of the 1993-94 season in the Premier League and, in a new feature, enjoying some great football writing.Continue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:11:02 +0000: John McGinn: Scotland midfielder on 'angry' Steve Clarke & connecting with Scottish public again - BBC Sport
Scotland midfielder John McGinn on "angry" looking Steve Clarke, representing his country and repaying his family's faith at the Euros.
- Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:49:44 +0000: Emiliano Buendia signs five-year Aston Villa deal in £33m move from Norwich - BBC Sport
Aston Villa's record £33m signing Emiliano Buendia is welcomed as a "great addition" by boss Dean Smith after signing a five-year deal.
- Wed, 09 Jun 2021 18:43:01 +0000: Dalian Atkinson murder case: PC 'not honest' in account of death - BBC Sport
Benjamin Monk's apparent memory loss about events surrounding the death is "convenient", jury told.
- Tue, 08 Jun 2021 16:38:31 +0000: Dalian Atkinson: PC defends using baton on ex-footballer - BBC Sport
PC Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith says she was trying to protect herself and her murder-accused colleague.
- Mon, 07 Jun 2021 09:58:24 +0000: Emiliano Buendia: Aston Villa agree club-record £33m deal for Norwich City midfielder - BBC Sport
Aston Villa agree a club-record deal worth an initial £33m for Norwich City midfielder Emiliano Buendia.
Aston Villa are now looking to strengthen their squad for the up coming season with a large number of new players touted to be on the clubs radar in the closed season. The club has been boosted lately by the resigning of goalkeeper Brad Guzan who left the club at the end of last season. The American keeper has now penned a new lucrative three year deal which will keep him at Villa park until the end of the 2015 season.
Another huge target for the club this season is Blackburns Steven N`Zonzi who is also a top target for Sunderland, Tottenham and Stoke City with the midfielder stating that he has no intention of playing football in the championship. The Frenchman is thought to be available for a fee of around five million pounds and would welcome the chance to play in the English top flight again.
Blackpool winger Matt Phillips is also believed to be on the clubs radar as the championship side looked doomed to lose their influential winger as a host of top flight clubs are now vying for his signature. The twenty one year old has had a brilliant season for his club and now looks set to move to the premier league with clubs such as Everton, Wigan, Reading and Sunderland all in for the winger.
Sheffield United defender Matt Lowton is another target for the Villa Park outfit as Paul Lambert looks to strengthen his back line for the new season and the player is thought to be his top target for his defence. Lowton is now regarded as one of the hottest prospects in English football but Villa will need to fight off stern interest from additional clubs such as feyenoord and Bersiktas.