The Latest Aston Villa FC Transfer News, Stories and Updates have been added below for 2017 – 2018
- Sat, 09 Jun 2018 13:00:22 +0000: Football while fasting: life in the Ramadan Midnight League | Nick Miller - Aston Villa | The Guardian
An idea to help people who might not otherwise feel able to play during Ramadan is gathering momentum in Birmingham
Just after 10pm on a warm Friday evening Obayed Hussain stands outside the Aston Villa academy building, the North Stand of Villa Park looming behind him. He is wearing a white jubbah, the traditional robe worn by Muslim men. Just before going inside he removes it to reveal a Birmingham FA tracksuit underneath.
A bit more than an hour later the first of around 100 or so people, mostly young men, arrive to play and watch football, which they will do until around 2am. It is not the most obvious time for recreational sport but this is the Ramadan Midnight League. Conceived by Obayed and executed with the help of Villa and the local and national FAs, this is an initiative designed to help those who might not otherwise feel able to play during their Ramadan fast.Continue reading...
- Thu, 07 Jun 2018 12:50:29 +0000: Aston Villa reach agreement with HMRC over £4m tax bill - Aston Villa | The Guardian
• Villa pay £500,000 with £1.2m expected by the end of week
• Xia admits it has been ‘a very difficult’ two weeks
Aston Villa have reached an agreement with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs over a £4m tax bill.
The agreement will allow the club, who missed out on a Premier League return after losing to Fulham in the play-off final at Wembley, to continue day-to-day operations.Continue reading...
- Thu, 07 Jun 2018 07:46:47 +0000: Aston Villa face bleak future as Tony Xia shortfall exposes house of cards | Stuart James - Aston Villa | The Guardian
The Villa owner’s increasingly unreliable backing has left a club who were over-reliant on his funds facing crisis
Alarm bells were ringing at Aston Villa long before a tax bill went unpaid last month. The first indication that all was not well came last year, when Tony Xia’s monthly payments stopped arriving with the same frequency, leaving a club that were operating way beyond their means, and are totally dependent on the owner’s financial support, scrambling around to pay the bills.
Xia, the Chinese businessman who revealed that it was his dream to turn Villa into one of the world’s top three clubs when he took over two years ago, had previously always made regular transfers to cover the outgoings, averaging around £4m a month across his first season. Yet the Guardian understands that those payments were made nothing like as consistently from as far back as 2017.
Xia was effectively placing all his chips on winning promotion with a high-risk strategy that has badly backfiredContinue reading...
- Wed, 06 Jun 2018 14:08:17 +0000: Premier League finances: the full club-by-club breakdown and verdict - Aston Villa | The Guardian
The 2016-17 accounts of all top-flight clubs and what the figures say about their health. Manchester United top the charts again with a £581m income and £57m profit
Financial figures for 2016-17, for the 20 clubs that were in the Premier League during 2016-17. All details from the most recently published annual reports at Companies House. Crystal Palace have missed the deadline for filing their accounts; as a consequence, all rankings of clubs are out of 19, not 20. Net debt is as stated in the accounts; debts minus cash held at the bank. The separate categories of turnover are listed according to the wording in individual club’s accounts and are each rounded up or down, so added together they do not always tally with the total turnover figure.Continue reading...
- Tue, 05 Jun 2018 19:39:24 +0000: Aston Villa miss £4m tax bill deadline as chief executive is suspended - Aston Villa | The Guardian
• Championship club risk facing a winding-up petition
• Owner Tony Xia confronts wider financial issues
Aston Villa have been thrown into financial turmoil and face the threat of being served with a winding-up petition by HMRC, after the Championship club failed to pay a tax bill that was due last Friday. The news that Villa had missed a tax payment emerged on the same day that Keith Wyness, the chief executive, was suspended as a sense of crisis deepened at the Midlands club.Continue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:01:06 +0000: Villa wait on Terry contract offer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa do not expect immediate progress in their bid to sign John Terry after making him a lucrative contract offer.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Fri, 16 Jun 2017 13:19:02 +0000: Sunderland to play Bury in EFL Cup - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Sunderland will travel to Bury in the EFL Cup first round following their relegation from the Premier League.
- Fri, 02 Jun 2017 11:26:51 +0000: Villa chief executive Wyness suspended - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is suspended from football activity for three weeks for social media misconduct.
- Thu, 18 May 2017 12:51:32 +0000: CEO Wyness dismisses Villa budget fears - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is confident of signing transfer targets within manager Steve Bruce's budget.
Aston Villa are now looking to strengthen their squad for the up coming season with a large number of new players touted to be on the clubs radar in the closed season. The club has been boosted lately by the resigning of goalkeeper Brad Guzan who left the club at the end of last season. The American keeper has now penned a new lucrative three year deal which will keep him at Villa park until the end of the 2015 season.
Another huge target for the club this season is Blackburns Steven N`Zonzi who is also a top target for Sunderland, Tottenham and Stoke City with the midfielder stating that he has no intention of playing football in the championship. The Frenchman is thought to be available for a fee of around five million pounds and would welcome the chance to play in the English top flight again.
Blackpool winger Matt Phillips is also believed to be on the clubs radar as the championship side looked doomed to lose their influential winger as a host of top flight clubs are now vying for his signature. The twenty one year old has had a brilliant season for his club and now looks set to move to the premier league with clubs such as Everton, Wigan, Reading and Sunderland all in for the winger.
Sheffield United defender Matt Lowton is another target for the Villa Park outfit as Paul Lambert looks to strengthen his back line for the new season and the player is thought to be his top target for his defence. Lowton is now regarded as one of the hottest prospects in English football but Villa will need to fight off stern interest from additional clubs such as feyenoord and Bersiktas.