The Latest Aston Villa FC Transfer News, Stories and Updates have been added below for 2017 – 2018
- Sat, 10 Mar 2018 20:15:19 +0000: Albert Adomah inspires Aston Villa to derby romp against leaders Wolves - Aston Villa | The Guardian
The Championship is not a foregone conclusion yet. Aston Villa emphatically reminded Wolverhampton Wanderers of just that, as Nuno Espírito Santo’s side saw their lead at the summit reduced to only three points. Goals by Albert Adomah, James Chester, Lewis Grabban and the substitute Birkir Bjarnason earned Villa a resounding victory inside a raucous Villa Park to puncture Wolves’ tilt towards the Premier League. With one win from their past five matches and 10 games to play, the worry for Wolves is whether the wheels come off altogether.Continue reading...
- Tue, 06 Mar 2018 21:53:52 +0000: Aston Villa’s Grabban and Chester pile more misery on Sunderland - Aston Villa | The Guardian
Kasabian’s version of The Sweet Escape was played on the sound system before kick-off but, long before the end, Sunderland fans had resorted to a rather more familiar refrain.
As the ground echoed to chants of “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” Chris Coleman’s side stayed firmly rooted to the bottom of the Championship. They were beaten easily by an upwardly mobile Aston Villa who, inspired by Robert Snodgrass’s creative class, remain third.Continue reading...
- Tue, 20 Feb 2018 23:14:35 +0000: Championship roundup: Sunderland go bottom after Bolton defeat - Aston Villa | The Guardian
• José Morais loses first game in charge of Barnsley
• Aston Villa held to 1-1 home draw by Preston
Burton condemned José Morais to defeat in his first game in charge of Barnsley with a 2-1 victory which moved Albion off the bottom of the Championship.
The Portuguese, appointed as Paul Heckingbottom’s successor last week, suffered a dismal start to life at Oakwell as Jamie Allen’s screamer put the visitors 1-0 ahead inside a minute. Jacob Davenport doubled Burton’s advantage with a free-kick on the stroke of half-time and they held on despite Daniel Pinillos’ 75th-minute goal. Burton leapfrogged Sunderland and Barnsley but remain in the bottom three, below Hull only on goal difference.Continue reading...
- Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:38:09 +0000: Jack Grealish's progress is pushing Aston Villa towards promotion - Aston Villa | The Guardian
Jack Grealish has been around for a long time – having played under five managers in five years – but he is now growing up
Aston Villa’s season has been shaped by injuries, for better and for worse. So, with Jack Grealish and top scorer Albert Adomah ruled out of their trip to Fulham on Saturday, it was no great shock that their superb seven-game winning streak came to an end at Craven Cottage. Fulham have usurped Steve Bruce’s side as the form team in the Championship and, now just four points behind third-place Villa, they are also on the hunt for automatic promotion to the Premier League.
Villa face another side aiming for promotion on Tuesday night, when Preston visit Villa Park. Bruce will be desperate to have Adomah and Grealish back available, although both players have done so well this season due to the absences of others. An injury to André Green – and indeed Grealish – early in the season gave Adomah the chance to take up a new role on the left. It has worked wonders, allowing the Ghana international to score 13 goals in 24 starts.Continue reading...
- Sat, 17 Feb 2018 17:10:56 +0000: Ryan Sessegnon sets Fulham on way to win over play-off rivals Aston Villa - Aston Villa | The Guardian
Ryan Sessegnon does not turn 18 until May, by which point Fulham could well be, on this evidence at least, celebrating their return to the Premier League. Sessegnon’s seventh goal in eight matches kick-started an impressive victory over Aston Villa before Floyd Ayité’s stunning effort from the halfway line after an error by the goalkeeper, Sam Johnstone, ensured the visitors’ seven-match winning run came to a grinding halt by the Thames.Continue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:01:06 +0000: Villa wait on Terry contract offer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa do not expect immediate progress in their bid to sign John Terry after making him a lucrative contract offer.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Fri, 16 Jun 2017 13:19:02 +0000: Sunderland to play Bury in EFL Cup - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Sunderland will travel to Bury in the EFL Cup first round following their relegation from the Premier League.
- Fri, 02 Jun 2017 11:26:51 +0000: Villa chief executive Wyness suspended - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is suspended from football activity for three weeks for social media misconduct.
- Thu, 18 May 2017 12:51:32 +0000: CEO Wyness dismisses Villa budget fears - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is confident of signing transfer targets within manager Steve Bruce's budget.
Aston Villa are now looking to strengthen their squad for the up coming season with a large number of new players touted to be on the clubs radar in the closed season. The club has been boosted lately by the resigning of goalkeeper Brad Guzan who left the club at the end of last season. The American keeper has now penned a new lucrative three year deal which will keep him at Villa park until the end of the 2015 season.
Another huge target for the club this season is Blackburns Steven N`Zonzi who is also a top target for Sunderland, Tottenham and Stoke City with the midfielder stating that he has no intention of playing football in the championship. The Frenchman is thought to be available for a fee of around five million pounds and would welcome the chance to play in the English top flight again.
Blackpool winger Matt Phillips is also believed to be on the clubs radar as the championship side looked doomed to lose their influential winger as a host of top flight clubs are now vying for his signature. The twenty one year old has had a brilliant season for his club and now looks set to move to the premier league with clubs such as Everton, Wigan, Reading and Sunderland all in for the winger.
Sheffield United defender Matt Lowton is another target for the Villa Park outfit as Paul Lambert looks to strengthen his back line for the new season and the player is thought to be his top target for his defence. Lowton is now regarded as one of the hottest prospects in English football but Villa will need to fight off stern interest from additional clubs such as feyenoord and Bersiktas.