The Latest Aston Villa FC Transfer News, Stories and Updates have been added below for 2017 – 2018
- Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:32:02 +0000: Carabao Cup roundup: Hughes demands better after Stoke lose to Bristol City - Aston Villa | The Guardian
• Bournemouth beat visiting Brighton once again
• 10-man Aston Villa lose 2-0 at home to Middlesbrough
Several Premier League sides went out of the Carabao Cup but Stoke City were one of only two to lose to lower league opposition, in the shape of Bristol City.
Stoke were undone at Ashton Gate by two goals in 10 second-half minutes from Famara Diédhiou and Matt Taylor, following Burnley – beaten in a penalty shootout by Leeds – in bowing out in the third round to a Championship side. Mark Hughes had no complaints though. “We were poor and they played very well,” he said. “They will have a good season playing like that, but we have to be much better. I am very disappointed because this is a competition we wanted to do well in. Maybe I got the changes wrong, but I was expecting a lot more from my players. I know we will be better against Chelsea on Saturday, but that isn’t much consolation at the moment.”Continue reading...
- Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:11:56 +0000: Paddy Power apologises after offering odds on Ugo Ehiogu for Birmingham post - Aston Villa | The Guardian
• Bookmaker offered 66-1 on late defender succeeding Harry Redknapp
• Former Tottenham coach Ehiogu died in April, aged 44
A gambling firm has apologised after it allowed customers to bet on a dead former footballer becoming a manager. Paddy Power briefly advertised odds of 66-1 on ex-Aston Villa and England defender Ugo Ehiogu taking charge of Birmingham City, following the sacking of manager Harry Redknapp on Saturday.
Ehiogu, who also played for Middlesbrough and Rangers, died at the age of 44 after suffering a cardiac arrest on 20 April at Tottenham’s training ground, where he worked as a coach with their under-23 side.Continue reading...
- Fri, 15 Sep 2017 18:36:02 +0000: Gareth Barry’s remarkable career continues to push the boundaries - Aston Villa | The Guardian
The West Bromwich Albion midfielder is set for his 632nd Premier League game on Saturday which would move him level with the record of Ryan Giggs
Gareth Barry will equal the Premier League appearance record held by Ryan Giggs on Saturday should he feature for West Bromwich Albion against West Ham at The Hawthorns. His 632nd top-flight appearance comes 19 years after his debut for Aston Villa at Sheffield Wednesday and follows 365 Premier League games for the Midlands club, 132 games for Manchester City, 131 for Everton and three so far for his new club. We speak to some of the players and managers who have featured in the 36-year-old’s remarkable career …Continue reading...
- Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:56:00 +0000: Graham Taylor involved in sexual abuse cover-up at Aston Villa, inquiry told - Aston Villa | The Guardian
• Taylor alleged to have discouraged victim from reporting what had happened
• Allegations relate to abuse by Villa scout Ted Langford in the late 1980s
The independent inquiry into football’s sexual-abuse scandal has heard claims that Graham Taylor, the former England manager, was involved in a cover-up at Aston Villa which led to other boys being exposed to a paedophile who was working for the club as a scout and later convicted of a string of offences over a 13-year period.
Taylor is alleged to have discouraged Tony Brien, one of Ted Langford’s victims, from reporting what had happened and told him, according to evidence presented to the inquiry, that he should “move on” after the teenager informed Villa in the 1987-88 season that he knew from personal experience, aged 12 to 14, that boys were at risk, having been abused at a feeder club for Leicester City.Continue reading...
- Sat, 09 Sep 2017 18:33:20 +0000: Football League: Ward keeps Cardiff unbeaten, Shrewsbury top League One - Aston Villa | The Guardian
Danny Ward leveller earns draw at Fulham, Harry Redknapp’s honeymoon is over at Birmingham and Shrewsbury are the surprise leaders in the third tierContinue reading...
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:01:06 +0000: Villa wait on Terry contract offer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa do not expect immediate progress in their bid to sign John Terry after making him a lucrative contract offer.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Fri, 16 Jun 2017 13:19:02 +0000: Sunderland to play Bury in EFL Cup - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Sunderland will travel to Bury in the EFL Cup first round following their relegation from the Premier League.
- Fri, 02 Jun 2017 11:26:51 +0000: Villa chief executive Wyness suspended - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is suspended from football activity for three weeks for social media misconduct.
- Thu, 18 May 2017 12:51:32 +0000: CEO Wyness dismisses Villa budget fears - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is confident of signing transfer targets within manager Steve Bruce's budget.
Aston Villa are now looking to strengthen their squad for the up coming season with a large number of new players touted to be on the clubs radar in the closed season. The club has been boosted lately by the resigning of goalkeeper Brad Guzan who left the club at the end of last season. The American keeper has now penned a new lucrative three year deal which will keep him at Villa park until the end of the 2015 season.
Another huge target for the club this season is Blackburns Steven N`Zonzi who is also a top target for Sunderland, Tottenham and Stoke City with the midfielder stating that he has no intention of playing football in the championship. The Frenchman is thought to be available for a fee of around five million pounds and would welcome the chance to play in the English top flight again.
Blackpool winger Matt Phillips is also believed to be on the clubs radar as the championship side looked doomed to lose their influential winger as a host of top flight clubs are now vying for his signature. The twenty one year old has had a brilliant season for his club and now looks set to move to the premier league with clubs such as Everton, Wigan, Reading and Sunderland all in for the winger.
Sheffield United defender Matt Lowton is another target for the Villa Park outfit as Paul Lambert looks to strengthen his back line for the new season and the player is thought to be his top target for his defence. Lowton is now regarded as one of the hottest prospects in English football but Villa will need to fight off stern interest from additional clubs such as feyenoord and Bersiktas.