The Latest Aston Villa FC Transfer News, Stories and Updates have been added below for 2017 – 2018
- Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:09:53 +0000: England’s Tyrone Mings stands tall with composure off and on the pitch - Aston Villa | The Guardian
Defender’s international debut in Bulgaria came in the worst possible environment and his decision to call out racist chanting may have lasting impact
“Did you hear that?” With those four words, Tyrone Mings set in motion a process that could have led to England walking off the pitch and abandoning their match against Bulgaria.
In the end they did not, with action against the persistent racist abuse from the stands of Sofia’s Vasil Levski Stadium stopping short of the ultimate step in Uefa’s three‑point protocol. But the way Mings dealt with his experience, and the way his England teammates and coaches did too, may perhaps have a longer-term effect in the struggle against racism. Did you hear that Uefa? Did you hear that people at home?Continue reading...
- Wed, 09 Oct 2019 10:48:00 +0000: Premier League: 10 standout statistics from the season so far - Aston Villa | The Guardian
Leicester love a tackle, Villa like a scrap, Wolves enjoy a late goal, Watford can’t finish and Arsenal still don’t know how to defend
Despite their poor run of form, Ole Gunnar Solskjær has commended the spirit of his Manchester United players. However, the numbers tell a different story. When a team is short of ideas and quality in attack, it is always a good idea to go back to the basics of defending to rebuild. But United simply do not work hard enough to regain possession. They have won fewer tackles and interceptions combined (125 tackles and 66 interception) than any other team in the division. They are not be far behind Manchester City and Liverpool in those statistics but, crucially, United are not keeping the ball as well or pressing as effectively. They have won the ball in the attacking third just 27 times compared to City’s 49 and Liverpool’s 57.Continue reading...
- Mon, 07 Oct 2019 14:57:36 +0000: Aston Villa 'disgusted' by fans chanting racist song about their players - Aston Villa | The Guardian
- ‘Chants besmirch the good name of Aston Villa’
- Kick It Out backs ‘important message’ from club
Aston Villa are “disgusted and appalled” by social media footage which appears to show fans “chanting a racist song” which makes reference to two of their first-team players.
A video following Saturday’s 5-1 win at Norwich shows a group of Villa’s fans singing about the club’s Zimbabwean midfielder Marvelous Nakamba and one other player, with references to several racial stereotypes.Continue reading...
- ‘Chants besmirch the good name of Aston Villa’
- Mon, 07 Oct 2019 07:24:04 +0000: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action - Aston Villa | The Guardian
City need De Bruyne fit, Connolly is a rising star at Brighton and Everton’s Silva should beware the international break
Unai Emery, in his programme notes for the game against Bournemouth, spoke about the importance of balance and how he wants his side to be “competitive both defensively and offensively”. That is excellent in theory but it needs to be put into practice and yet again on Sunday there was little evidence of that. Arsenal won but they did not play well and the most glaring issue is the lack of an obvious plan. Are Arsenal meant to press aggressively, and if so why did that part of their game drop off so alarmingly? Are they meant to dominate possession, and if so why do their midfielders appear to spend more time running than playing passes? It is confusing and while injuries are an issue for Emery, particularly in regards to his first‑choice full-backs, it is fair to expect that after more than a year in charge his vision for the team would be much clearer. Sachin NakraniContinue reading...
- Sun, 06 Oct 2019 19:03:37 +0000: The Dozen: the weekend’s best Premier League photos - Aston Villa | The Guardian
Referees, bicycle kicks and ‘giving it back’ in this week’s roundup of the best top-flight pictures
- View the Dozen archive
Historical Transfer News and Team Gossip has been archived below:
- Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:01:06 +0000: Villa wait on Terry contract offer - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa do not expect immediate progress in their bid to sign John Terry after making him a lucrative contract offer.
- Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:00:34 +0000: Championship fixtures in full - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Find out your team's fixtures in the Championship during the 2017-18 season.
- Fri, 16 Jun 2017 13:19:02 +0000: Sunderland to play Bury in EFL Cup - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Sunderland will travel to Bury in the EFL Cup first round following their relegation from the Premier League.
- Fri, 02 Jun 2017 11:26:51 +0000: Villa chief executive Wyness suspended - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is suspended from football activity for three weeks for social media misconduct.
- Thu, 18 May 2017 12:51:32 +0000: CEO Wyness dismisses Villa budget fears - Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC
Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness is confident of signing transfer targets within manager Steve Bruce's budget.
Aston Villa are now looking to strengthen their squad for the up coming season with a large number of new players touted to be on the clubs radar in the closed season. The club has been boosted lately by the resigning of goalkeeper Brad Guzan who left the club at the end of last season. The American keeper has now penned a new lucrative three year deal which will keep him at Villa park until the end of the 2015 season.
Another huge target for the club this season is Blackburns Steven N`Zonzi who is also a top target for Sunderland, Tottenham and Stoke City with the midfielder stating that he has no intention of playing football in the championship. The Frenchman is thought to be available for a fee of around five million pounds and would welcome the chance to play in the English top flight again.
Blackpool winger Matt Phillips is also believed to be on the clubs radar as the championship side looked doomed to lose their influential winger as a host of top flight clubs are now vying for his signature. The twenty one year old has had a brilliant season for his club and now looks set to move to the premier league with clubs such as Everton, Wigan, Reading and Sunderland all in for the winger.
Sheffield United defender Matt Lowton is another target for the Villa Park outfit as Paul Lambert looks to strengthen his back line for the new season and the player is thought to be his top target for his defence. Lowton is now regarded as one of the hottest prospects in English football but Villa will need to fight off stern interest from additional clubs such as feyenoord and Bersiktas.